Thoughts?

GusMcRae

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's how. You may see it in a few days.

In the past couple of years, the GOP led congress has raised the debt ceiling numerous times. It is a fourmula that has deficits calculated as percentages of the debt. Since the debt ceiling is higher, deficits could remain the same to the dollar, but appear lower as related to the debt ceiling. Since deficits are calculated also as a comparison to GNP, the numbers by themselves may hide the truth. This could lead to the dow growing very fast, and having no legs underneath it. This could result in a major crash(think Black Monday '87) In this case, the economy grew too fast for it's own good.

And unemployment is only calculated as a percentage of people who are actually seeking employment in a certian sector of jobs. Someone who makes minimum wage at McDonlads and fired doesn't count in the unemployment figures.

Some of this does have factual basis, but the economy can ebb and flow without any doing from either party. Just remember, whoever is in power gets praised for what goes right, and blamed for what goes wrong.

One more thing about this issue-

From my Libertarian side:

Okay, so this years deficit is at about $250 billion. We just added $250 billon more to our national debt. We spent 22% less money than we expected to spend, but $250 billion more than we were budgeted for this year. What kind of finacial lesson is this to teach our kids? The way some seem to be pushing the issue(it is a good thing that the deficit reduced) its like if the Reds celebrated like they won the world series by being within 5 games of .500. Will the US ever be out of debt? No.

They won't spin it, they won't mention it at all. I don't believe I've heard a single democrat mention the economy in several weeks. That's actually a smart move as their best bet is to keep the focus on Foley and Iraq. The republicans will drum on the economy and the war on terror.

One more thing about this issue-

From my Libertarian side:

Okay, so this years deficit is at about $250 billion. We just added $250 billon more to our national debt. We spent 22% less money than we expected to spend, but $250 billion more than we were budgeted for this year. What kind of finacial lesson is this to teach our kids? The way some seem to be pushing the issue(it is a good thing that the deficit reduced) its like if the Reds celebrated like they won the world series by being within 5 games of .500. Will the US ever be out of debt? No.

I totally agree. We have a debtor culture, personally and through our government. Nobody seems to care about having to pay it back later...

They won't spin it, they won't mention it at all. I don't believe I've heard a single democrat mention the economy in several weeks. That's actually a smart move as their best bet is to keep the focus on Foley and Iraq. The republicans will drum on the economy and the war on terror.

I think the Republicans are horrible politicians. They should be running with the economy, but are always on the defensive.

Anybody who casts a vote based on the Foley incident is brain dead. If the Dems have to hope for that, they are even more short on ideas and solutions than I thought. And that's saying something.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/15220076/

The economy seems to be doing well....record Dow, lowering defecit, virtually no unemployment. How will the Dems spin it?

Are all of these emergency appropriations to fund the Iraq war baked into the deficit numbers? I bet not. Funding for Iraq isn't even being budgeted. Neither is the soon-to-be-disastrous cost for the Medicare drug benefit that Bush signed off on. Bush is certainly not a real conservative in the traditional sense of the term.

Anybody who casts a vote based on the Foley incident is brain dead. If the Dems have to hope for that, they are even more short on ideas and solutions than I thought. And that's saying something.

An awful lot of people voted Republican based on the gay marriage issue in 2004. Were they brain dead?

Are all of these emergency appropriations to fund the Iraq war baked into the deficit numbers? I bet not. Funding for Iraq isn't even being budgeted. Neither is the soon-to-be-disastrous cost for the Medicare drug benefit that Bush signed off on. Bush is certainly not a real conservative in the traditional sense of the term.

Also not included in the budget are all the new appropreations past the last couple of weeks just in time fo the elections, such as PORT SECURITY, THE BORDER FENCE ECT. Not a real problem though because we all know none of these new programs will be funded.