Thoughts?

GusMcRae

Let's move away from the abortion issue - you see, with that argument there are some who think it is a sin and others who do not so there is legitimate disagreement - however . . .

Did the goverment under Hitler sin? Yes

Did the government under Hussein sin? Yes

Does our government/society sin when we establish policies and institutions that allow 46 million children to go without adequate health care? Yes

Will I be held accountable for that? Yes, based on what I did/do to change the system.

Did the government sin when it SUPPORTED segregated facilities based on race? Yes

Does our government sin when it continues to devise policies that allow the wealthy to become more wealthy while allowing the suffering to continue to suffer? YES

Well said.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's move away from the abortion issue - you see, with that argument there are some who think it is a sin and others who do not so there is legitimate disagreement - however . . .

Does our government/society sin when we establish policies and institutions that allow 46 million children to go without adequate health care? Yes

Will I be held accountable for that? Yes, based on what I did/do to change the system.

Did the government sin when it SUPPORTED segregated facilities based on race? Yes

Does our government sin when it continues to devise policies that allow the wealthy to become more wealthy while allowing the suffering to continue to suffer? YES

Excellent post. I think the natural response to this would be that an institution can't "sin", only those that run it.

Frances

So who pays for those sin? At Judgement Day when all stand in front of God and account for their sins, who pays for those sins? Will I be held responsible for the sins of the US government when I have very little (one vote) control over what is going on?

You guys are leading me to think that the "religious right" is even more right in being concerned if I am going to be saddled down with the sins that Clinton/Bush, etc have committed as leaders of this government.

So who pays for those sin? At Judgement Day when all stand in front of God and account for their sins, who pays for those sins? Will I be held responsible for the sins of the US government when I have very little (one vote) control over what is going on?

You guys are leading me to think that the "religious right" is even more right in being concerned if I am going to be saddled down with the sins that Clinton/Bush, etc have committed as leaders of this government.

Your looking for a "pay up" date on this. It's sometimes gradual.

For example: Who pays for the sin of segregation? The children did. The ones who received limited resources for their education and never really got the chance to discover what kind of scientist, politician, or literature writer they could be.

Therefore society suffered. Society suffered the art that was missed, the intelligent discussion brought to the table.

This nation suffered. It suffered because it spoke of the grand ideas of freedom and liberty (even fought for such principles) but with the other side of the mouth kept people as something less than the human of norm defined by those in power. So we spoke of "all men created equal" and then defined the levels of equality.

Perhaps we can go further with who pays.

Why am I cynical about the government? When you grew up with Vietnam, Watergate, South American involvements, et al - you grow a little cynical and distrustful along the way.

Isn't that paying for the sins of the nation?

For all those who saw what Hitler could do but decided he was good for the economy and he was getting rid of those we didn't much care for anyway (Jews, Communists, Gypsys, infirmed) are they held accountable for Nazi Germany? In some ways I think that the legacy left is God's judgement, wouldn't you?

Did you go back and read Amos?

Slick move to make government sin a partisan issue. Affirmative action= a sin. (favor one group over another) Taxes=a sin. (steal from one group to give to another). Let's face it, as you threw off abortion so easily so could some of these other points be simply legitimate disagreements.

Slick move to make government sin a partisan issue. Affirmative action= a sin. (favor one group over another) Taxes=a sin. (steal from one group to give to another). Let's face it, as you threw off abortion so easily so could some of these other points be simply legitimate disagreements.

Well certainly - I could have picked more conservative views but I went with things that I thought most would consider at the very least "wrong", however, I did not know that collecting a fee for services (Taxes) was steeling. I should prosecute all lawyers and doctors for stealing b/c of the fees they collect.

The point is that you can allow an institution to commit wrongs for you and by not working to change it . . . society suffers and thus punishment is so rendered