If the Semifinals Were at Neutral Sites...

gchs_uk9

My geography isn't that great, but how far in advance can this be planned out? Don't you have to wait to see who the winners are to figure out where the middle is? If so, you're trying to pull all this together in six days on Thanksgiving week. Seems like a tight turnaround. I don't know how you inform them on Sat that they will be hosting a game the next Fri on a week they are in session only Mon & Tues. I Iove the idea, but I'm just not that sure it's logistically feasible.

I want to know— how does Ohio survive?? They do this, right??

Just a theory, but in Ohio there are a lot of municipal high school stadiums that service 3-4 schools or more, aren't there? With those stadiums not tied to any specific school, I would guess that makes it easier. With those stadiums long being used in service for football state tournament events, I guess they sorted out those issues a long time ago.

In Kentucky, isn't Manual Stadium the only one that really fits that description? Even the most urban schools in Ky have stadiums either on campus or close by, so the need for municipal stadiums used by multiple teams never arose because football is a late-blooming sport in Ky compared to other states (and compared to hoops in its own state).

My mom's family is from the Davenport, Iowa, area, and they have a municipal stadium that hosts HS games for the three city schools, and has always at least been a regional site for playoffs throughout history.

My geography isn't that great, but how far in advance can this be planned out? Don't you have to wait to see who the winners are to figure out where the middle is? If so, you're trying to pull all this together in six days on Thanksgiving week. Seems like a tight turnaround. I don't know how you inform them on Sat that they will be hosting a game the next Fri on a week they are in session only Mon & Tues. I Iove the idea, but I'm just not that sure it's logistically feasible.

That's what makes it really difficult. You'd likely have to wait until late Friday/early Saturday (a week before the game) to set locations (although looking at the bracket a week before you could put some locations on notice).

A couple of things to consider. With this set of schools chosen, it might be difficult for some schools like E-town and St. X, who are both playing games elsewhere, to also host a playoff game. Does your AD go to your game or stay and run the one that you are hosting? Where does your worker base come from? Particularly on a holiday weekend.

KHSAA can force anyone to open up their field for games if they want too. They have done it in the past.

Since the KHSAA does not own these facilities, I doubt that they can legally force them to be opened. I'm sure that they can strongly influence that choice, however.

Do you have some evidence that shows that they a legal right to do so?

A couple of things to consider. With this set of schools chosen, it might be difficult for some schools like E-town and St. X, who are both playing games elsewhere, to also host a playoff game. Does your AD go to your game or stay and run the one that you are hosting? Where does your worker base come from? Particularly on a holiday weekend.

I think you'd have to play half the games on Friday and the other half on Saturday. You don't want to split manpower at a school and you don't want to give one team an extra day of practice before the finals.

I'd play 1A, 3A, and 4A on Friday; 2A, 5A, and 6A on Saturday.

I agree. It seems like someone is always trying to tinker with football in Kentucky.

No tinkering. In fact, I'm not even suggesting we do it. It was a conversation piece all week on BGP and since the semifinals are this weekend I posted how it would look this year.