October 5, 20179 yr So you thought they were still gonna use the elementary school in CT again, as well? edit
October 5, 20179 yr Didn't they tear down Sandy Hook Elementary and rebuild it entirely? Yup, that was my point. It’s not always business as usual.
October 9, 20178 yr Yup, that was my point. It’s not always business as usual. I find that even though the basic circumstances are similar — i.e., mass shooting with multiple deaths — the buildings themselves are completely different entities. The school is not in the business of making money, at least not in traditional capitalistic ways. The hotel, however, is. And if that hotel can find a niche market that is interested in paying enough money for the "privilege" in staying in such an historically macabre location, I think they'll do it. It's in the shareholders' best interests, after all. It wouldn't be the first time tragedy has been repurposed into a massive moneymaker.
October 9, 20178 yr I find that even though the basic circumstances are similar — i.e., mass shooting with multiple deaths — the buildings themselves are completely different entities. The school is not in the business of making money, at least not in traditional capitalistic ways. The hotel, however, is. And if that hotel can find a niche market that is interested in paying enough money for the "privilege" in staying in such an historically macabre location, I think they'll do it. It's in the shareholders' best interests, after all. It wouldn't be the first time tragedy has been repurposed into a massive moneymaker. I understand your point. They might keep the room open but I think it’s more of a liability than a net gain at this point. To your point they have to figure out the business side of that.
October 9, 20178 yr I find that even though the basic circumstances are similar — i.e., mass shooting with multiple deaths — the buildings themselves are completely different entities. The school is not in the business of making money, at least not in traditional capitalistic ways. The hotel, however, is. And if that hotel can find a niche market that is interested in paying enough money for the "privilege" in staying in such an historically macabre location, I think they'll do it. It's in the shareholders' best interests, after all. It wouldn't be the first time tragedy has been repurposed into a massive moneymaker. It took several years but the old Texas School Book Depository in Dallas is now a museum on the 6th floor. When I visited in 1985 you weren't allowed on the elevators to go to the 6th floor.
October 9, 20178 yr It took several years but the old Texas School Book Depository in Dallas is now a museum on the 6th floor. When I visited in 1985 you weren't allowed on the elevators to go to the 6th floor. Dealey Plaza was such an eerie place to visit. Being able to see and walk where that moment of history happened is hard for me to describe.
October 9, 20178 yr The room where James Earl Ray was and the room MLK stayed in are both part of a museum now.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.