Corbin 20 Mayfield 17

Sorry that some of us don’t get behind your way of thinking and singling out kids when it’s a team sport. But whatever makes you feel better about yourself :thumb:
I promise you I'm not the only one thinking this. I may be the only one posting about our corner play. All I said is it needs to be fixed. I'm done with you. Always stirring something. Useless!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I promise you I'm not the only one thinking this. I may be the only one posting about our corner play. All I said is it needs to be fixed. I'm done with you. Always stirring something. Useless!

I’m sure you aren’t. But it’s a high school kid. No sense in putting him on blast on the Internet. You can try and deflect this back to me all you want, I don’t mind. But I’ll always call out a cowardice adult singling out a child, knowing they would never make a peep in front of the kids parents. It’s a team loss that was caused by more than a kid just being beat on a few routes.

No place for deception/trickery! Are you kidding me? There is a physical and intellectual side to the game. Prepare one at the expense of the other and you are vulnerable. The old "three in, four out" will catch the nappers. Others, not so!

The Sideline-Hide play is a vastly different animal than say half-back passes, reverses, statues of liberty, or flea-flickers and has been banned in all its variations for decades.

If you read the area of the rulebook regarding 'substitutions with intent to deceive', giving particular attention to the examples provided about permitted actions following a timeout, it's pretty clear that play was more illegal than intellectual.

I agree the mental side of the game is just as important as the physical, but it doesn't exactly require the revolutionary football genius of Bill Walsh to sneak a receiver in off the sidelines.

The Sideline-Hide play is a vastly different animal than say half-back passes, reverses, statues of liberty, or flea-flickers and has been banned in all its variations for decades.

If you read the area of the rulebook regarding 'substitutions with intent to deceive', giving particular attention to the examples provided about permitted actions following a timeout, it's pretty clear that play was more illegal than intellectual.

I agree the mental side of the game is just as important as the physical, but it doesn't exactly require the revolutionary football genius of Bill Walsh to sneak a receiver in off the sidelines.

I did not see the play (I do not know the specifics if it is illegal or not). Can an official explain, if this was illegal, can the refs in this situation prevent it or call the TD back?

I did not see the play (I do not know the specifics if it is illegal or not). Can an official explain, if this was illegal, can the refs in this situation prevent it or call the TD back?

It's my understanding that a WR has to be inside the numbers before the start of play then move outside. Don't know how you can hide a player unless motion was used and the Defense thought they were going to play with 10 on the field

Oh, my. Showing my age and not keeping up with rule changes. Thanks, BigRedDiesal. Please don't let them outlaw by fumble-rooskie!

Corbin took a time out over near it's sideline but inside the numbers (critical point) then they break and the receiver goes to the sideline area and stands there looking like he is out of bounds with his team. The Mayfield player being the none wiser is drawn into the main body of players while Corbin does a quick count and throws the ball to wide open receiver running down the sideline.

You can look at this scenario several ways that Mayfield should have been paying closer attention while my view is this not the same as statue of liberty play or fumble ruskie or many others as some have mentioned. I don't mind trick plays but this play had a "barn yard" smell to it.

Also don't get me wrong here Corbin was a fine team and a rough and tough team and played a good game but that play rubbed me wrong.

Corbin took a time out over near it's sideline but inside the numbers (critical point) then they break and the receiver goes to the sideline area and stands there looking like he is out of bounds with his team. The Mayfield player being the none wiser is drawn into the main body of players while Corbin does a quick count and throws the ball to wide open receiver running down the sideline.

You can look at this scenario several ways that Mayfield should have been paying closer attention while my view is this not the same as statue of liberty play or fumble ruskie or many others as some have mentioned. I don't mind trick plays but this play had a "barn yard" smell to it.

Also don't get me wrong here Corbin was a fine team and a rough and tough team and played a good game but that play rubbed me wrong.

If any consolation Lincoln County ran the same play on us my Senior season. Broke a 19-15 game into a 25-15 game and we never recovered.

I liked the venue. Great place for a game.

Corbin passed the eyeball test in the pre-game warmups. Good looking team. Nice size. As noted earlier, Corbin seemed to have more mojo in this game. They played with a lot of intensity. Their redzone defense earned them the win in this one. Their offense wasn't anything special, but it doesn't have to be when your three scores are pass plays of 40+ yards. I had to eat my words in this game. I said Mayfield needed to make the QB throw to win instead of letting him run, and he certainly won the game with his arm.

I have watched Mayfield sporadically over the last 8 years or so, and I don't recall ever seeing them play that sloppy of a game. I also don't recall letting the big play beat them, especially not more than once in a game. Overall, way too many stupid penalties and mistakes (playing a solid ball club like Corbin will cause more of those). I also think not being able to run the ball really hurt Mayfield, and while I think (Stinson?) will be a good QB before its all said and done, I don't think its fair to ask him to win the game with his arm. He played a good game for the most part, but tried to squeeze in some tight throws that got picked, and took a sack on that last drive when he had an opportunity to throw the ball away.

Mayfield's body language almost made it seem like they thought all they had to do was show up to win. Not much intesity, or at least not as much as Corbin. I think Mayfield needed a little humble pie, and this loss will serve them well by reminding them they still have work to do if they want to add to their jewelry collection.

Overall, considering how the game went, and losing by 3, but it taking 3 plays of 40+ yards to beat them, Mayfield can still walk away from this game seeing positives. Clean up those big plays and you presumably win the ballgame. They played tough, just couldn't finish it out. I hope they keep this series going. Corbin is a great measuring stick for Mayfield, and vice versa.

I’m just not sold on us getting that 4th round win, let alone a championship with Stinson as the QB. I don’t bash kids but I’ve watched him very closely the last couple of games. He just doesn’t read the plays. Against McCracken I watched him throw into double coverage multiple times when he clearly had someone wide open on the other side of the field. Even people in the stands are yelling and pointing. And this is with plenty time to throw. No rushing or anything. You’ve got to look at the field. You can’t zone in on a receiver from start to finish. Read the field. I know you have go to routes on every play. But maybe just maybe the defense is better suited for that route and someone else’s assignment will suit the play better. We have to do better there. And it starts with coaching.