Louisville 35 Purdue 28

Getslow

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the ejection was a bad call. Definitley roughing, but it didn't look like helmet to helmet from my vantage point.

Agreed on that. He shouldn't have been ejected, but given the way things have gotten, I understand why he was, and I also understand why all he could do was laugh when leaving the field. But as soon as Jackson's head snapped back, it was over for him.

I only got to see the 2nd half as I was driving all day, and couldn't get the game on the radio, so I was lost as to why Alexander wasn't on the field. Hope he's OK. His absence in the 2nd half certainly gave Brohm more ways to attack the secondary.

The penalties were ridiculous. I'd like to say it's a Petrino thing, and it kind of is, but UofL struggled with penalties Raiders-style when Johnelle was the coach. It's become a "Louisville thing."

What is rule on blocked FG? Where is ball spotted if never touched by defense and either rolls dead or is downed by kicking team?

If it gets spotted at the LOS or at the place where it was kicked, not a smart play by Alexander to pick it up and run with it. If it's like a punt, I have no problem with him trying to make a play. He's an exciting, game changer at returner, so go do your thing. The fact that he was injured on the play just magnifies the decision.

What is rule on blocked FG? Where is ball spotted if never touched by defense and either rolls dead or is downed by kicking team?

If it gets spotted at the LOS or at the place where it was kicked, not a smart play by Alexander to pick it up and run with it. If it's like a punt, I have no problem with him trying to make a play. He's an exciting, game changer at returner, so go do your thing. The fact that he was injured on the play just magnifies the decision.

The ball would have been spotted where they kicked it. It was an incredibly bad play by Jaire, especially seeing as it's probably going to cost him playing time.

1st game sloppiness was all over the place this weekend. UofL just was at the top of the list. It would be less troubling if it weren't an extension of last season and reflective of what Petrino prioritizes as a HC. I could almost live with a bunch of penalties if they were borne out of aggression & passion, but these were just silly.

15 played reasonably well after 10 went out. Thought the PI on him was a bad call but could see how the ref thought he backed into the WR which forced the push off.

7 was very lucky they didn't have a better camera angle on his fumble at the goal line. Ball security is not prioritized by coaches of players (regardless of what they do all week, it isn't sinking in). That said, 1st goal line fumble was on the FB (#85) who took a bad angle and bumped into LJ. The 2nd goal line fumble was on the RB who tried to extend the ball in traffic and a knee knocked it out.

Expected 34 to run more and more effectively. Saw glimpses of 26 that are promising but they didn't run any of the RBs enough to get a rhythm or make an impression.

Fitpatrick emerging should be a blessing for 9. They went heavily to 9 early and often. He will draw defensive attention unless others (including 1 across the middle) can hurt them when he does. 5 was not a factor.

TEs look inexperienced but have upside. Everyone is going to pale in comparison to Hikutini but that position is needed in Petrino's offense.

Good to see Young, Hearns and others making plays. Last couple of drives they applied pressure and prevented Sindelar from getting chunk yardage. The entire defense needs to wrap up better from a tackling standpoint.

Special teams were very good.

On to Chapel Hill to face a "highly praised" team coming off an opening day loss at home. Need to make 'em 0-2, but will have to play much better to do so.

The ball would have been spotted where they kicked it. It was an incredibly bad play by Jaire, especially seeing as it's probably going to cost him playing time.

Agree. Even discounting the injury (that can happen on any play), you have a fairly low % chance to get the ball into better field position than if you leave it alone AND you introduce the possibilities of penalties (happens all the time on such freaky plays) and fumbling the ball (which he did and they never really focused on it because of the injury and the fact that UofL recovered it)

Also, Brando and Tillman were BRUTAL. I expected more out of them. Not knowing the rule on clock restarting on out of bounds plays until 2:00 at end of half and game was basic. All the praise for the Purdue defense "bottling up" LJ and UofL after halftime was completely off base. UofL dominated the yardage and drives but fumbled 2x at goal line - 1 not even forced by Purdue.

Hopefully it was just early season sloppiness for them as well.