December 31, 20178 yr Whatever recipe you decide to use, do yourself a big favor. Add beer, not water. Beer is THE main ingredient. And above all, don't use light beer. You're welcome. :thumb: Chicken stock for me instead of water...and no hamburger, very finely diced tri-tip (or similar cut) of beef, and NO BEANS and by gosh absolutely no spaghetti! all meat and spices.
January 1, 20188 yr Welp...now I've gotta go get stuff to make Chili. Thanks, BluegrassPreps. I've been fiddling around with a few chili recipes for a handful of years. I put a couple additional tweaks on one of them on Saturday...let it simmer on low for about a day and a half. I had a bowl for lunch today, and I think I pretty much nailed what I was looking for. If you want to try it, be warned, you need a BIG pot. 2-1/2 lb bottom round cut into 1/2" cubes and browned 2-1/2 lb ground turkey browned 1 lb ground pork 1/2 lb uncooked bacon, gut into 1/2" pieces 4 average-sized tomatillos, diced (about 1/2 lb total) 1 large onion, diced 1 green pepper, diced 1 poblano pepper, minced 1 banana pepper, minced 1 jalapeno (with seeds), minced 1 jalapeno (seeded), minced (1) 28 oz. can tomato sauce (1) 28 oz. can petite diced tomatoes (1) 28 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes (4) 15.5 oz. cans of beans (I use kidney, black, red, and pinto) (1) 14.5 oz. can beef broth 1-1/2 tablespoons crushed fennel seed 1-1/2 tablespoons salt 1 tablespoon smoked paprika 2 teaspoons garlic powder 2 teaspoons ground turmeric 1-1/2 teaspoons red pepper flake 1-1/2 teaspoons white pepper 1-1/2 teaspoons black pepper 1 teaspoon rubbed sage 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard Edited January 4, 20188 yr by Colonels_Wear_Blue
January 1, 20188 yr I've been fiddling around with a few chili recipes for a handful of years. I put a couple additional tweaks on one of them on Saturday...let it simmer on low for about a day and a half. I had a bowl for lunch today, and I think I pretty much nailed what I was looking for. If you want to try it, be warned, you need a BIG pot. 2-1/2 lb bottom round cut into 1/2" cubes and browned 2-1/2 lb ground turkey browned 1 lb ground pork 1/2 lb uncooked bacon, gut into 1/2" pieces 4 average-sized tomatillos, diced (about 1/2 lb total) 1 large onion, diced 1 green pepper, diced 1 poblano pepper, minced 1 banana pepper, minced 1 jalapeno (with seeds), minced 1 jalapeno (seeded), minced (1) 28 oz. can tomato sauce (1) 28 oz. can petite diced tomatoes (1) 28 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes (4) 15.5 oz. cans of beans (I use kidney, black, red, and pinto) (1) 14.5 oz. can beef broth 1-1/2 tablespoons crushed fennel seed 1-1/2 tablespoons salt 1 tablespoon smoked paprika 2 teaspoons garlic powder 2 teaspoons ground turmeric 1-1/2 teaspoons red pepper flake 1-1/2 teaspoons white pepper 1-1/2 teaspoons black pepper 1 teaspoon rubbed sage 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard Edited January 4, 20188 yr by Colonels_Wear_Blue
January 1, 20188 yr [ATTACH]65080[/ATTACH] Looks and sounds fantastic! Imagine if you had added a can of beer to the recipe! Just kidding with you, CWB, I bet it was delicious!
January 4, 20188 yr Here's a BGP chili thread from the past with some good stuff. http://bluegrasspreps.com/bgp-break-room/chili-recipes-288728-page2.html
January 4, 20188 yr Whatever recipe you decide to use, do yourself a big favor. Add beer, not water. Beer is THE main ingredient. And above all, don't use light beer. You're welcome. :thumb: Yep. Substitute beer, chicken stock, or beef stock for water in virtually any soup recipe.
January 4, 20188 yr I've been fiddling around with a few chili recipes for a handful of years. I put a couple additional tweaks on one of them on Saturday...let it simmer on low for about a day and a half. I had a bowl for lunch today, and I think I pretty much nailed what I was looking for. If you want to try it, be warned, you need a BIG pot. 2-1/2 lb bottom round cut into 1/2" cubes and browned 2-1/2 lb ground turkey browned 1 lb ground pork 1/2 lb uncooked bacon, gut into 1/2" pieces 4 average-sized tomatillos, diced (about 1/2 lb total) 1 large onion, diced 1 green pepper, diced 1 poblano pepper, minced 1 banana pepper, minced 1 jalapeno (with seeds), minced 1 jalapeno (seeded), minced (1) 28 oz. can tomato sauce (1) 28 oz. can petite diced tomatoes (1) 28 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes (4) 15.5 oz. cans of beans (I use kidney, black, red, and pinto) (1) 14.5 oz. can beef broth 1-1/2 tablespoons crushed fennel seed 1-1/2 tablespoons salt 1 tablespoon smoked paprika 2 teaspoons garlic powder 2 teaspoons ground turmeric 1-1/2 teaspoons red pepper flake 1-1/2 teaspoons white pepper 1-1/2 teaspoons black pepper 1 teaspoon rubbed sage 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard This looks really good. I think too many people get caught up in just making it hot. All of those peppers lend a different layer of flavors. I tell people all the time. If they want it hotter, don't eliminate the milder peppers, add additional hot ones. Edited January 4, 20188 yr by Colonels_Wear_Blue
January 4, 20188 yr This looks really good. I think too many people get caught up in just making it hot. All of those peppers lend a different layer of flavors. I tell people all the time. If they want it hotter, don't eliminate the milder peppers, add additional hot ones. I agree...if I want to turn up the heat on my chili I usually just add in some Louisiana Hot Sauce in my bowl as I'm eating it. I like tasting all the different peppers in the mix. I also realized while I when I looked back up at my recipe that I forgot to list diced tomatillos. I edited those into the posts, just in case anyone decides they want to give it a shot.
October 22, 20187 yr @TheDeuce mentioned chili in the St. X Tigers vs. St. X Bombers thread, so now I've been thinking about chili for the last hour and a half :lol2: Anyone made a pot yet this year now that the cool-down finally is upon us? I'm thinking I'm due.
October 22, 20187 yr @TheDeuce mentioned chili in the St. X Tigers vs. St. X Bombers thread, so now I've been thinking about chili for the last hour and a half :lol2: Anyone made a pot yet this year now that the cool-down finally is upon us? I'm thinking I'm due. Oh yes! I am already one pot in with a good portion still in my freezer and I used some ingredients from this thread including @mcpapa 's beans.
October 22, 20187 yr This looks really good. I think too many people get caught up in just making it hot. All of those peppers lend a different layer of flavors. I tell people all the time. If they want it hotter, don't eliminate the milder peppers, add additional hot ones. Tumeric, cumin, fennel... I like where your brain’s at. A little cardamom and you’re basically on your way to curry chili.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.