October 22, 20187 yr Grew a bunch of ghost peppers this year in anticipation of chili season. Tried one, and too afraid to ever use one again!
October 22, 20187 yr Grew a bunch of ghost peppers this year in anticipation of chili season. Tried one, and too afraid to ever use one again! Hahaha, you're more daring than I am. I really like spicy food - not to say that I'm one of those folks who prides themselves on being able to eat the hottest stuff out there - but I really do enjoy spiciness. But Habañeros are as hot as I ever need go...and sometimes even those are more than I think is necessary.
October 24, 20187 yr Grew a bunch of ghost peppers this year in anticipation of chili season. Tried one, and too afraid to ever use one again! Did you try eating it, or did you add it to your chili? Ghost peppers add a great flavor layer. The best way to use ghost peppers is to start out slow. Split one and take out the seeds and pith. Dice it fine and add it to your chili. See how that affects it. Should not really kick up the heat too much, but should add flavor. If you want more heat, introduce about half the seeds next time. I have found that three ghost peppers, with no seeds, in a big pot is perfect for me. I actually like to clean a ghost pepper and scramble it with eggs, sausage, onions, and cheese. Just a side note. Either wear gloves or wash your hands very well several times when done handling them. If you touch your eye with pepper oils on your hand, you'll be blind in that eye for an hour or two.
October 24, 20187 yr Did you try eating it, or did you add it to your chili? Ghost peppers add a great flavor layer. The best way to use ghost peppers is to start out slow. Split one and take out the seeds and pith. Dice it fine and add it to your chili. See how that affects it. Should not really kick up the heat too much, but should add flavor. If you want more heat, introduce about half the seeds next time. I have found that three ghost peppers, with no seeds, in a big pot is perfect for me. I actually like to clean a ghost pepper and scramble it with eggs, sausage, onions, and cheese. Just a side note. Either wear gloves or wash your hands very well several times when done handling them. If you touch your eye with pepper oils on your hand, you'll be blind in that eye for an hour or two. I did not add it to the chili. I ate a small piece of one. Kinda afraid to put it in the chili for fear of making it too hot to eat. Now you have me thinking I should give it a try.
October 24, 20187 yr I did not add it to the chili. I ate a small piece of one. Kinda afraid to put it in the chili for fear of making it too hot to eat. Now you have me thinking I should give it a try. You put the effort into growing them, you should at least give it a shot.
October 26, 20187 yr You put the effort into growing them, you should at least give it a shot. Well, I will say this...I grew the ghost peppers, some habaneros, jalapeños, and hot red peppers. I dried them and ground them down in order to make the ultimate chili powder (and I left the seeds in). Darn near died when I opened the food processor. I put the powder in a container labeled TNT. I swear it growls at me when I walk in the kitchen. I am afraid my search for the ultimate chili recipe may kill me!
October 26, 20187 yr They had the office chili cook-off today, but I didn’t have time to put together an entry. The winner (3 entries) was solid, but unspectacular. They tossed big macaroni into it, which brought up uncomfortable memories of running into that kid in the bathroom with the bag of sawdust because he ate too much school lunch macaroni chili. Yummy!
October 30, 20187 yr Listen to Jim, @plantmanky! From what I hear, Jim Schue is a heck of a cook! It's been awhile since I've had the pleasure of experiencing "Jim Schue's" food preparation skills, but know this......He has a 100% track record of success in everything I've ever eaten that he prepared. Not kidding, the dude is a master chef.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.