Frankfort 42 Grant County 6

There is no challenge in playing Cov Cath, Highlands, and Dixie. It would be like Brossart playing Trinity.

Exactly. There are very well founded football traditions at all of these schools. This is something that requires generations to build and reaches past the program and becomes a part of the community.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats what I'm trying to get at. There are athletes in the county, they just don't play football. But its not like they quit playing football to pursue other sports, they just never played football to begin with. Kids don't ever develop a love for the game.

And there is one of the flaws in Kentuckys system. Hey, Grant you have a lot of kids living in the county, it doesn't matter that they have never even played a sport.

And there is one of the flaws in Kentuckys system. Hey, Grant you have a lot of kids living in the county, it doesn't matter that they have never even played a sport.
Don't even get me started on this matter. I've argued that the class system should be based on participation rates in conjunction with school size. You don't even have to look very far to find a great example. Owen County is a 2A school for football and a 1A school for basketball. They have essentially the same number of athletes in their school as Grant County and GC is 5A. It makes zero sense.

I will disagree, to an extent. When Dalzell was coaching the Middle School, they had a run where they were very successful. A lot of people were hoping that when that bunch became upper-classmen things would be different. It didn't happen.

You can also look at that and say "Was he building the necessary skill set for those players to transition to high school football or was he just padding his record?"

Its like a 6th grade basketball team sitting in a 23 zone and letting the other team shoot threes all day long. The 6th grade team may win doing that, but in a few years the opponents will start hitting those threes and your team has never learned how to play real defense.

You can also look at that and say "Was he building the necessary skill set for those players to transition to high school football or was he just padding his record?"

Its like a 6th grade basketball team sitting in a 23 zone and letting the other team shoot threes all day long. The 6th grade team may win doing that, but in a few years the opponents will start hitting those threes and your team has never learned how to play real defense.

I'm not going to pretend that I know anyone's motive for doing something. My point was, whatever skillset he was teaching, they had a large number of kids that were excited about playing football. They were winning. Yet that excitement dissipated over the next 3-5 years, as evidence by the number of kids still playing their senior year.

There are a number of factors that could go into that, including: jobs, girls, other sports/coaches, schoolwork, girls, computer games, etc. There is bound to be some attrition during the high school years, especially for those that typically make up your second/third string and may not see a lot of playing time. But, other schools have the same obstacles and yet manage to keep a good core moving up from year to year.

But, other schools have the same obstacles and yet manage to keep a good core moving up from year to year.

Probably. but I think other athletic departments have policies in place to overcome these obstacles and Grant County does not.

But the administration has the right to run their programs any way they wish. They are the ones in charge.

Not really, They just have to be in another district for it to work. In the past they were in a district with Montgomery Co, Lincoln Co, harrison Co, Anderson Co, Franklin Co, Madison Southern......and were somewhat competitive. Sure some of those teams have a stellar years from time to time, but nothing like Highlands & Cov Cath.

You could but it would be inaccurate. Grant's middle school team plays in one of the toughest conferences in the state.

I'm not going to pretend that I know anyone's motive for doing something. My point was, whatever skillset he was teaching, they had a large number of kids that were excited about playing football. They were winning. Yet that excitement dissipated over the next 3-5 years, as evidence by the number of kids still playing their senior year.

There are a number of factors that could go into that, including: jobs, girls, other sports/coaches, schoolwork, girls, computer games, etc. There is bound to be some attrition during the high school years, especially for those that typically make up your second/third string and may not see a lot of playing time. But, other schools have the same obstacles and yet manage to keep a good core moving up from year to year.

The bolded is something many on BGP wont understand. If people realized how many students have to get jobs in order to help support their entire family at 15 & 16, I think it would open their eyes abit about the situation at Grant, and other counties like it.

The bolded is something many on BGP wont understand. If people realized how many students have to get jobs in order to help support their entire family at 15 & 16, I think it would open their eyes abit about the situation at Grant, and other counties like it.

When I graduated from GC there was a kid I graduated with that was about 6-6 and a muscular 300 pounds and worked his way through HS and never set foot on a football field. That just doesn't happen at other schools.

When I graduated from GC there was a kid I graduated with that was about 6-6 and a muscular 300 pounds and worked his way through HS and never set foot on a football field. That just doesn't happen at other schools.

Went to school with many of those type myself.

Leaving the district only hurt them even more whether anyone will ever admit that or not. I would much rather play teams that will blow us out rather then play teams we should beat and still loose. Some would say that's pretty idiotic to say but I bet quite a few of these players would agree, all you have to do is listen to them. By leaving the district, no matter what your intentions were, the impression given to the youth is that they were given up on and simply aren't good enough.

To get better, it starts with the the actual youth teams. The biggest problem with the youth programs right now is the parents. Kids can't get better if their parents don't bring them to practice.

Leaving the district only hurt them even more whether anyone will ever admit that or not. I would much rather play teams that will blow us out rather then play teams we should beat and still loose. Some would say that's pretty idiotic to say but I bet quite a few of these players would agree, all you have to do is listen to them. By leaving the district, no matter what your intentions were, the impression given to the youth is that they were given up on and simply aren't good enough.

To get better, it starts with the the actual youth teams. The biggest problem with the youth programs right now is the parents. Kids can't get better if their parents don't bring them to practice.

Disagree, it is up to the parents to explain to them why they left the district, its not hard to understand.

You do bring up another point abiut parents not bringing them to practice, heck even games for that matter. Its a growing problem in all sports. No commitment level to anything, this started years ago and is now surfacing in young adults as well.

Yeah, that kids working stuff never happens at Greenup County, Pulaski County, Bourbon County, Mercer County, Wayne County, Bell County, Caldwell County .... you know, those county schools that have top ten ranked programs; there aren't any farm boys or kids working instead of playing football in those places. Only at Grant County. :wacky:

Disagree, it is up to the parents to explain to them why they left the district, its not hard to understand.

You do bring up another point abiut parents not bringing them to practice, heck even games for that matter. Its a growing problem in all sports. No commitment level to anything, this started years ago and is now surfacing in young adults as well.

I'm an adult and I don't understand it and will never agree with it. There's not one kid on this team that's happy or thankful about leaving the district (my opinion). They could go 10-0 and it's all pointless as we would never know where the team stands.