Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Frankfort 42 Grant County 6

Featured Replies

Panthers roll 42-6 from Bourbon Co Bowl. Panthers 2-0 on the season.

  • Replies 49
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach, I missed the first two games, but it looks like Holt Hammons is moving the team at quarterback. If I did the math correctly (and I am a Frankfort High School graduate!), on the season he is 28 of 41 passing (68.2 % completion rate) for 420 yards with 5 TDs and NO interceptions. Who else is playing well for the Panthers?

What's going on with Grant County this year? I know they are now independent and ineligible for post season play. Lack of skill players is probably the biggest issue per usual, but I didn't expect two eggs in a row.

What's going on with Grant County this year? I know they are now independent and ineligible for post season play. Lack of skill players is probably the biggest issue per usual, but I didn't expect two eggs in a row.

 

Grant has to get through this year and next and then begin to set strides. The next 2 years are foundation years.

Grant has to get through this year and next and then begin to set strides. The next 2 years are foundation years.

I think they have the perfect guy at the helm. Do you know what they are doing in order to build that foundation? They need to develop talent at the lower levels. Something Grant Co has always lacked. The biggest task ahead of Dalzell is getting the school and the community to buy into the program. No coach at GC has ever been afforded this luxury. Kids need to grow up wanting to play football for Grant Co.

I think they have the perfect guy at the helm. Do you know what they are doing in order to build that foundation? They need to develop talent at the lower levels. Something Grant Co has always lacked. The biggest task ahead of Dalzell is getting the school and the community to buy into the program. No coach at GC has ever been afforded this luxury. Kids need to grow up wanting to play football for Grant Co.

 

Dalzell is the guy to lead this ship. The numbers need to come up a bit to be successful at 5A. The toughest task is getting the school to buy into the program, they havent in the 25 years it has existed, Im not sure they ever will, which will be the biggest uphill challenge.

Dalzell is the guy to lead this ship. The numbers need to come up a bit to be successful at 5A. The toughest task is getting the school to buy into the program, they havent in the 25 years it has existed, Im not sure they ever will, which will be the biggest uphill challenge.

It's a basketball school and community for sure. But I think if they can ever find success the support will come. It just makes it harder to have success without the initial support. It certainly is an uphill climb but it takes someone like Dalzell who will be there for the long term in order to right the ship.

I think they have the perfect guy at the helm. Do you know what they are doing in order to build that foundation? They need to develop talent at the lower levels. Something Grant Co has always lacked. The biggest task ahead of Dalzell is getting the school and the community to buy into the program. No coach at GC has ever been afforded this luxury. Kids need to grow up wanting to play football for Grant Co.

 

I will disagree, to an extent. When Dalzell was coaching the Middle School, they had a run where they were very successful. A lot of people were hoping that when that bunch became upper-classmen things would be different. It didn't happen.

 

When you have 30-40 kids coming from a very successful 8th grade team, and there's only 7 or 8 of them there on Senior Night four years later, I would say there's something wrong at the higher level, not the lower. Now, that was several head coaches ago...so hopefully things will change.

I will disagree, to an extent. When Dalzell was coaching the Middle School, they had a run where they were very successful. A lot of people were hoping that when that bunch became upper-classmen things would be different. It didn't happen.

 

When you have 30-40 kids coming from a very successful 8th grade team, and there's only 7 or 8 of them there on Senior Night four years later, I would say there's something wrong at the higher level, not the lower. Now, that was several head coaches ago...so hopefully things will change.

Dalzells success at the Middle School level especially from the HS graduating classes around 10-13 was undeniable, but the talent level on those teams were beyond what Grant County normally produces. There were some athletes on those teams something that Grant County doesn't have playing football. But the level of competition stepped up when they got to HS and didn't have the depth needed in order to compete. Like you said people started to leave the program for reasons that I don't necessarily agree with.

Dalzell has to get the best athletes in the county playing football at a young age. The best athletes in the district play basketball and baseball it's always been that way. Grant County has had a ton of arm talent on the baseball field and some fantastic athletes on the basketball court in just the past 8 years alone and as far as I know none of them ever played football at any level. That's a problem for the football coach.

  • Author
Coach, I missed the first two games, but it looks like Holt Hammons is moving the team at quarterback. If I did the math correctly (and I am a Frankfort High School graduate!), on the season he is 28 of 41 passing (68.2 % completion rate) for 420 yards with 5 TDs and NO interceptions. Who else is playing well for the Panthers?

 

Dajaun Davis is a difference maker. I also think Jevon Bush and John Tillman are playing well. Frankfort skilled positions are pretty talented.

 

As for Hammons he just has to manage the game and keep taking what the defense is giving him.

I will disagree, to an extent. When Dalzell was coaching the Middle School, they had a run where they were very successful. A lot of people were hoping that when that bunch became upper-classmen things would be different. It didn't happen.

 

When you have 30-40 kids coming from a very successful 8th grade team, and there's only 7 or 8 of them there on Senior Night four years later, I would say there's something wrong at the higher level, not the lower. Now, that was several head coaches ago...so hopefully things will change.

 

That group also had 3 different varsity head coaches thanks in large part to the administration at the school.

That group also had 3 different varsity head coaches thanks in large part to the administration at the school.

 

That's why I said at the higher level. That encompasses the varsity coach, as well as the administration and other sports' coaches. You can probably toss in a few parents, too.

Advice for Grant County ... it may be heresy to some to hear this but ... follow the Simon Kenton model. Schedule down; play teams out of district that you are confident you can beat; go as low as low you must to get those wins; then build it from there. Make the goal for now finishing at least .500 every year. When kids see wins, they will start to buy in. I think dropping out of the district is ok this year if it gets you wins but I would not stay out more than this year and next at the most.

What's going on with Grant County this year? I know they are now independent and ineligible for post season play. Lack of skill players is probably the biggest issue per usual, but I didn't expect two eggs in a row.

 

The same that that has been going on for years and will continue for years to come.

Advice for Grant County ... it may be heresy to some to hear this but ... follow the Simon Kenton model. Schedule down; play teams out of district that you are confident you can beat; go as low as low you must to get those wins; then build it from there. Make the goal for now finishing at least .500 every year. When kids see wins, they will start to buy in. I think dropping out of the district is ok this year if it gets you wins but I would not stay out more than this year and next at the most.

 

If the district is going to be Highlands, Cov Cath, Dixie, then there is no reason to play in a district, stay independent and schedule who you want. Grant Co is not winning a state title in football, everyone knows that.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.