Open Job: Bowling Green

DG won with what he had, good coach, has a ring. Will see if who they get can do better?

That's a tough bar for sure. He is the most successful coach in Purples' basketball history in terms of total body of work. His teams went to nine of the last ten region finals. His entire time there, they failed to make the region finals three times, and two were the first two years he was there when they were still in a bit of rebuilding mode. His teams went 21-0 at the region tournament against the 13th, 15th, and 16th Districts. Six region titles, a final four, runner-up, and state championship finish. Pretty much all of those unprecedented.

The talent Bowling Green has been getting has been great, but it has jumped up a notch in recent years. It may turn out that last year was the most talented team they'll ever have. I think it is possible for them to get a "better" coach but not at all duplicate the success. Still, the talent pool is still deep enough to make more than a mark, and if a guy like Harmon sticks around, they can do a lot. If they continue to have guys move in as well, that'll make a big difference too.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I agree he is a very good coach. But look at the talent level that he has had. A lot of coaches in the state, (probably 10 or 15) if they were to have the talent that he had probably would have won state title more than once. Terry Taylor, Kyran Jones, DeAngelo Wilson, Zion Harmon, even Trey Jones would have been super stars on other teams, possibly region player of the year if in another region.

DG was very good at managing all the egos and a good coach. But for me, he was 3rd best in the region.... just my opinion. A great high school coach takes 1 or 2 ball players, and then a handful of average athletes and wins with them. Not a college roster and wins...

And very rarely if ever are they winning state titles. So...:idunno:

In 2015 Trinity and Ballard both had more talent than this years BG team did. It takes talent to win and a great coach manages egos and playing time, that's what DG did. As stated above with the exception of his first two seasons he's only missed a regional final once. And he over achieved in 2015 in my opinion and had a top three team in the state in 2016 but lost to the best team in the state quarterfinals. I'm judging Coach Sherill off of what I've seen and what he turned Bowling Green into which is an elite program in Kentucky.

^ The only true part of your post is that Tim Riley has a court named after him in Warren County. I think off the top of my head I can name one player who transferred in to WC under Riley that came from BGHS (Vic Smith), and that was due to that player having friction with Behanan. Shanklin was as much stolen from Bowling Green as any of the many, many WCPS kids who go to BG were "stolen" from Warren County - if one is fair game, so is the other. If there's another kid who came from the BG system, enlighten me.

Decimated the program? Bowling Green played in 7 region title games in the 14 years Riley was at Central.

And I'll tell you this - if Riley wants that job? He'll get that job.

Like I said, Riley can want that job all he wants. He has a less than zero shot to get it, and rightfully so.

I will repeat - if he wants it, he'll get it. I don't know that he wants it. You are incredibly mistaken if you believe Bowling Green would not pursue him out of some perceived slight. His best friend is the most powerful athletic presence at the school. They have pursued him before, there's absolutely nothing to indicate they would not pursue him now. You are welcome to your opinion - you'll find it is the opinion of most that you are incorrect.

That said, I'd be thrilled if Bowling Green people feel the way you do. I will fully admit I in no way would ever want to see Riley in Purple. It makes it easier knowing that I don't even have to compromise those feelings with a feeling that it would be impeding him. He has a great deal going at Owensboro Catholic and unless Bowling Green throws money at him, a chance to win another state title is probably only driving force that would lead him to Bowling Green.

I will repeat - if he wants it, he'll get it. I don't know that he wants it. You are incredibly mistaken if you believe Bowling Green would not pursue him out of some perceived slight. His best friend is the most powerful athletic presence at the school. They have pursued him before, there's absolutely nothing to indicate they would not pursue him now. You are welcome to your opinion - you'll find it is the opinion of most that you are incorrect.

That said, I'd be thrilled if Bowling Green people feel the way you do. I will fully admit I in no way would ever want to see Riley in Purple. It makes it easier knowing that I don't even have to compromise those feelings with a feeling that it would be impeding him. He has a great deal going at Owensboro Catholic and unless Bowling Green throws money at him, a chance to win another state title is probably only driving force that would lead him to Bowling Green.

BG pursued him almost 8 years ago. Unless you have been living under a rock, almost the entire city school central office has changed in that time frame. Superintendent, Principal, AD, Assistant Principals, DPP, you name it. Riley is a great coach and he has a great gig right now in Owensboro. I know you think that Tim hung the moon, but believe it or not there are several schools in this state who wouldn't even give him an interview. To each his own. He should do well with Catholic next year.

Tim didn't get the Henderson job when it was open why would BG hire him BG is a whole lot bigger job than Henderson.

Tim has connections to Bowling Green and in Bowling Green that he wouldn't have had at Henderson County. Smithhart played for Henderson County, right?

I've said my peace about Riley and Bowling Green and found it worthwhile not to continue that discussion with Shadow_son4th who had also said his peace on the matter. I personally don't want Tim to be there, so it's not going to bother me if he doesn't pursue it or get it. I dispute the notion that Bowling Green would not want him or for a lesser charge, consider him. I will say that if your argument is that he's not qualified or worthy of the Bowling Green job, I really don't know what to say to you on that matter. He's one of the most successful active coaches in the state and has been to Rupp nine times in the last twelve years he's coached in Kentucky. And he ran the vast majority of that straight through the Purples.

Edited by DragonFire

I see the Purples castng a wider net for this job beyond Tim Riley. With the recent succes of BG and Zion Harmon in particular, coaches from all across the US will be clawing their way to BG for the chance to coach a once in a lifetime talent like Zion Harmon. Will he be a legendary high school talent like LeBron James, Kevin Garnett, or Kobe Bryant? Only time will tell?

I see the Purples castng a wider net for this job beyond Tim Riley. With the recent succes of BG and Zion Harmon in particular, coaches from all across the US will be clawing their way to BG for the chance to coach a once in a lifetime talent like Zion Harmon. Will he be a legendary high school talent like LeBron James, Kevin Garnett, or Kobe Bryant? Only time will tell?

Tim Riley has won a state title. I say he ranks up there as far as coaches with a name go.