2017 Skyline Chili Crosstown Showdown

Big venue again Clyde...

And I said it should be criminal, not that it is criminal.

It is our Government (again our schools are Government agencies) colluding with a Corporation so that the Government and the Corporation can profit at our expense with very little or no accountability.

Or put in simple terms for everyone, if the schools need more money to run their athletic programs I am fine with the schools raising the price of admission a dollar or two or three. But it should be the school doing that independently with no third party Corporation coming in and profiting from the practice.

WHen it comes to being "criminal" or not the arena or its size is immaterial.

The school is taking a guarantee and the business that you are saying they are "colluding" with is taking all of the risk. The school wins. The business MIGHT win. It's silly to say it "should be" criminal. Schools are doing what they think they need to do in order to pay for all of the sports the school offers.

The business agreement should be a non-topic. The only debate should be the quality of the event and matchups.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHen it comes to being "criminal" or not the arena or its size is immaterial.

The school is taking a guarantee and the business that you are saying they are "colluding" with is taking all of the risk. The school wins. The business MIGHT win. It's silly to say it "should be" criminal. Schools are doing what they think they need to do in order to pay for all of the sports the school offers.

The business agreement should be a non-topic. The only debate should be the quality of the event and matchups.

You are getting off on tangent and you know it.

Special events at large venues and post season tournaments are different animals because of the venues involved. Those are big boy venues that take a lot of money to run, secure, administer, etc. These type of events are clearly a departure from normal high school activities on a high school campus.

The Corporation isn't taking any risk when the game is on a high school campus. The Corporation is already making a profit because of the sponsorship on these games and what the Corporation scoops up in ticket sales at the gate is icing on the cake.

The bottom line is money that should be going to individual high schools is going to a Corporation and the high school powers that be are allowing that to happen because they are getting their cut behind closed doors.

You are getting off on tangent and you know it.

Special events at large venues and post season tournaments are different animals because of the venues involved. Those are big boy venues that take a lot of money to run, secure, administer, etc. These type of events are clearly a departure from normal high school activities on a high school campus.

The Corporation isn't taking any risk when the game is on a high school campus. The Corporation is already making a profit because of the sponsorship on these games and what the Corporation scoops up in ticket sales at the gate is icing on the cake.

The bottom line is money that should be going to individual high schools is going to a Corporation and the high school powers that be are allowing that to happen because they are getting their cut behind closed doors.

First, you don't know the financials of the promoter so you don't know how much of their expenses are covered by sponsors.

The high schools are getting a guarantee JUST LIKE they do in the 9th region tourney. No difference. In both cases you have a private entity paying out a guarantee, fans paying more money, and the private entity assuming all risk. It's the exact same. You're rationalizing it to make one worse than the other.

Schools are being smart (assuming , of course, that the guarantee is more than what they think they could make in a normal game).

First, you don't know the financials of the promoter so you don't know how much of their expenses are covered by sponsors.

The high schools are getting a guarantee JUST LIKE they do in the 9th region tourney. No difference. In both cases you have a private entity paying out a guarantee, fans paying more money, and the private entity assuming all risk. It's the exact same. You're rationalizing it to make one worse than the other.

Schools are being smart (assuming , of course, that the guarantee is more than what they think they could make in a normal game).

The schools are colluding with a Corporation to get more money out of the fans/parents/students at everyone's expense.

Again, if the schools need more money raise the price, but don't introduce a third party Corporation, give your game a fancy title, and raise the price.

And don't hand me that garbage about risk for the Corporation, their NKY lineup this year is Beechwood, Cooper, CovCath, and Highlands or Mo Money, Mo Money, Mo Money

If the Corporation was interested in any risk they would have Ludlow, Dayton, Bellevue, Holmes, and Lloyd instead of the four school that are Mo Money.

How about it Highlands? Cooper? Beechwood? Covington Catholic?

Cooper and Beechwood each outrageously charge $5 for a JV baseball game with 1 ump. If they are charging $5 or $7 for a football game under the lights with 5 refs, that seems like a bargain.

Cooper and Beechwood each outrageously charge $5 for a JV baseball game with 1 ump. If they are charging $5 or $7 for a football game under the lights with 5 refs, that seems like a bargain.

I am all for schools charging whatever they see fit to get into their athletic contests.

The problem is most schools don't have the you know whaties to up their prices unless they have some type of cover or distraction.

The schools are colluding with a Corporation to get more money out of the fans/parents/students at everyone's expense.

Again, if the schools need more money raise the price, but don't introduce a third party Corporation, give your game a fancy title, and raise the price.

And don't hand me that garbage about risk for the Corporation, their NKY lineup this year is Beechwood, Cooper, CovCath, and Highlands or Mo Money, Mo Money, Mo Money

If the Corporation was interested in any risk they would have Ludlow, Dayton, Bellevue, Holmes, and Lloyd instead of the four school that are Mo Money.

How much are they paying each school?

I am all for schools charging whatever they see fit to get into their athletic contests.

The problem is most schools don't have the you know whaties to up their prices unless they have some type of cover or distraction.

I don't see why every other school charge $3, but Cooper and Beechwood charge $5. Just feels like they are gouging visiting fans. The Ohio teams don't charge anything at all and have 2 umps at regular season JV games.

At the end of the day, I will gladly pay $5.00, $7.00 or even $10.00 to get the entertainment value out of a HS Football game. To me it is about value. Personally, I do not realize value by dropping a couple of hundred bucks to see an NFL game. I feel cheated. I do not feel that way at a HS football game.

• 1 month later...
The Covington Catholic game is 7 dollars with no student pricing, is that a price increase?

7 dollars at Cooper for an adult, sounds like a dollar or two price increase.

I agree on Beechwood but they were probably trapped this time around because the game is against an out of town KY opponent so price gouging wasn't an easy option to overcome.

Just a fyi, but I was out at Ryle Friday night. Their games are $7 for adults as they still have a sign up at their ticket gate. I knew I paid $7 somewhere in the past, just couldn't remember where.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. A new NCAA rule about the August dead period and their moratorium on any events for high school athletes being held on college campuses during that time period looks like it's going to prevent the Crosstown Showdown from using Nippert on August 25th & 26th.

News outlets are expecting an official announcement from the Crosstown Showdown organizers on Monday regarding re-location of the Elder/Lakota West, Colerain/LaSalle, Lakota East/Walnut Hills, Milford/Oak Hills, St. X/Hinsdale Central, and Hamilton/Moeller games.

Interesting. A new NCAA rule about the August dead period and their moratorium on any events for high school athletes being held on college campuses during that time period looks like it's going to prevent the Crosstown Showdown from using Nippert on August 25th & 26th.

News outlets are expecting an official announcement from the Crosstown Showdown organizers on Monday regarding re-location of the Elder/Lakota West, Colerain/LaSalle, Lakota East/Walnut Hills, Milford/Oak Hills, St. X/Hinsdale Central, and Hamilton/Moeller games.

If this new NCAA Policy holds over the long term it is time to do away with the Showdown.