2017 Skyline Chili Crosstown Showdown

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. A new NCAA rule about the August dead period and their moratorium on any events for high school athletes being held on college campuses during that time period looks like it's going to prevent the Crosstown Showdown from using Nippert on August 25th & 26th.

News outlets are expecting an official announcement from the Crosstown Showdown organizers on Monday regarding re-location of the Elder/Lakota West, Colerain/LaSalle, Lakota East/Walnut Hills, Milford/Oak Hills, St. X/Hinsdale Central, and Hamilton/Moeller games.

The just tweeted that they will make the announcement on Monday at 3pm.

DFHb5kSV0AEDfJz.jpg

The just tweeted that they will make the announcement on Monday at 3pm.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62897[/ATTACH]

Unless I'm mistaken, this basically leaves Paul Brown Stadium, and then local high school stadiums. Anyone have any ideas on stadium sizes/capacities around Greater Cincinnati, and which are biggest?

I'm just curious whether this affects the Rafferty's Bowl at WKU. The argument is that this is a 'third party' putting on the game, and not just a schedule game between two teams.

Also, Michigan has the "Battle at the Big House" returning for a second season, and though one of the high schools run it, it's 6 games at Michigan Stadium. Also, there's 6 games at Wayne State in Detroit. Though they aren't D1FBS.

It just seems ridiculous that the NCAA imposed a rule and apparently don't realize that high schools use major football stadiums in the opening weeks to play games. And this isn't just in Ohio, Kentucky, or Michigan. New York plays upwards of 10 games at the Carrier Dome. But, the NY season starts the second week of September (they have a 7-game season and everyone makes the playoffs).

I'm just curious whether this affects the Rafferty's Bowl at WKU. The argument is that this is a 'third party' putting on the game, and not just a schedule game between two teams.

Also, Michigan has the "Battle at the Big House" returning for a second season, and though one of the high schools run it, it's 6 games at Michigan Stadium. Also, there's 6 games at Wayne State in Detroit. Though they aren't D1FBS.

It just seems ridiculous that the NCAA imposed a rule and apparently don't realize that high schools use major football stadiums in the opening weeks to play games. And this isn't just in Ohio, Kentucky, or Michigan. New York plays upwards of 10 games at the Carrier Dome. But, the NY season starts the second week of September (they have a 7-game season and everyone makes the playoffs).

I agree that this is ridiculous on the part of the NCAA...but then again, I think most of what the NCAA does in regards to recruiting is utterly ridiculous beyond being anywhere near reasonable.

I would have to think the Rafferty's Bowl will also be impacted by this. The Crosstown Showdown is its own "third party" entity, independent of UC...and it just uses Nippert as a primary venue by choice. Sounds like basically the same thing you're describing with the Rafferty's Bowl.