2017 Skyline Chili Crosstown Showdown

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am just glad not to see NewCath in it this year. getting tired of watching them play team they should not be playing this early in the year and having season long injuries from it.just to make a buck.

Surely you can come up with a more apt description than "tragedy."

and let me add "unethical" to the list of descriptions that seem a bit much.

Trust me @Clyde I can come up with a lot of great power words to describe this practice.

Let's see, several Government Entities (Schools) get together with a Corporation (whatever company Tom Gamble runs) and they say to each other, you know, we both have an opportunity here to make money. We can USE the current high school athletic contests, slap a sponsor name on them, up the price of admission, and split the cash. It should be criminal if you ask me Clyde.

Another thing on sponsorship, why does the Skyline Chili (which I like Skyline by the way) Sponsorship of high school athletics cause the price of admission to go up? Shouldn't the sponsorship cause the price to go down?

Let's try some power words Clyde:

Unethical

Greedy

Criminally Minded

Fleecing

Shady

Underhanded

Sneaky

Corrupt

Deceitful

I could go on but everyone gets the idea

And while I am at it, just exactly where does all this money go that changes hands between the Corporation and the Schools? My guess is in many cases it is discretionary.

How about it Highlands? Cooper? Beechwood? Covington Catholic?

All it is, is local schools price gouging their fans with high ticket prices to cover the large cash payments the promoters of the event are paying the schools.

That doesn't appear to be the case this year. Ticket prices range from $5 to $8 for the single games at the high schools. In past years, I think it was $10 to $12.

It is a price increase.

Do we know that for a fact at the listed locations? I know I've paid $7 for a regular season game over the past few years. The Beechwood game is $5, which I believe is their normal price. Maybe someone from Cooper can chime in on the $7 for their game (which may be one of the locations I've paid $7 at in the past).

Now, I'm not defending the event. Ever since they expanded away from Nippert, I've said it was a money grab and dumb. They should stick with Nippert and/or Paul Brown, and make it a true event bringing in the top teams from KY, OH, and IN. These regular season games at the high schools just don't make sense.

Do we know that for a fact at the listed locations? I know I've paid $7 for a regular season game over the past few years. The Beechwood game is $5, which I believe is their normal price. Maybe someone from Cooper can chime in on the $7 for their game (which may be one of the locations I've paid $7 at in the past).

The Covington Catholic game is 7 dollars with no student pricing, is that a price increase?

7 dollars at Cooper for an adult, sounds like a dollar or two price increase.

I agree on Beechwood but they were probably trapped this time around because the game is against an out of town KY opponent so price gouging wasn't an easy option to overcome.

Now, I'm not defending the event. Ever since they expanded away from Nippert, I've said it was a money grab and dumb. They should stick with Nippert and/or Paul Brown, and make it a true event bringing in the top teams from KY, OH, and IN. These regular season games at the high schools just don't make sense.

We are in lockstep here.

If the Powers that be want to have great match ups at Big Venues then charging big bucks is totally fair.

Where is Buddy LaRosa when you need him!

Trust me @Clyde I can come up with a lot of great power words to describe this practice.

Let's see, several Government Entities (Schools) get together with a Corporation (whatever company Tom Gamble runs) and they say to each other, you know, we both have an opportunity here to make money. We can USE the current high school athletic contests, slap a sponsor name on them, up the price of admission, and split the cash. It should be criminal if you ask me Clyde.

Another thing on sponsorship, why does the Skyline Chili (which I like Skyline by the way) Sponsorship of high school athletics cause the price of admission to go up? Shouldn't the sponsorship cause the price to go down?

Unethical

Greedy

Criminally Minded

Fleecing

Shady

Underhanded

Sneaky

Corrupt

Deceitful

And while I am at it, just exactly where does all this money go that changes hands between the Corporation and the Schools? My guess is in many cases it is discretionary.

You could at least give him some credit for keeping it PG, @Clyde. :lol2:

Unethical

Greedy

Criminally Minded

Fleecing

Shady

Underhanded

Sneaky

Corrupt

Deceitful

I think you've lost your mind on this one.Criminal? Good lord.

How much do people pay for the state championship football tickets? Sweet 16 basketball tickets? What's the difference? KHSAA making the money vs a private business?

This is life. Schools need money from events like these to cover costs for other sports. It's one darn game.

I don't like the event because of the event as compared to "the gold ol' days" when my son played in it. However, I'm not throwing out silly pejoratives over it.

Take a step back and gain some perspective here.

A tragedy is someone dying. It's not paying $4 or $6 extra bucks for a game that you're under no obligation to attend.

I think you've lost your mind on this one.Criminal? Good lord.

How much do people pay for the state championship football tickets? Sweet 16 basketball tickets? What's the difference? KHSAA making the money vs a private business?

This is life. Schools need money from events like these to cover costs for other sports. It's one darn game.

I don't like the event because of the event as compared to "the gold ol' days" when my son played in it. However, I'm not throwing out silly pejoratives over it.

Take a step back and gain some perspective here.

A tragedy is someone dying. It's not paying $4 or $6 extra bucks for a game that you're under no obligation to attend.

Like I mentioned above and in previous years, if the event is at a big venue (like the KHSAA championships you mentioned or the games that are Nippert Stadium this year) then more power to Tom Gamble, the schools, the Corporations and anyone else making a buck because they are providing an experience for the players, fans, schools, etc. that they can't get anywhere else.

However, if it is just two schools playing a regular season game and a corporate sponsorship get slapped on the game, the price goes up, and the corporation and school officials profit, that should be criminal.

Trying to move forward here, I am thankful that Skyline Chili wants to spend their money promoting high school athletics and in the case of the games at Nippert Stadium I think it is awesome. However, when the Skyline Chili Sponsorship name goes on a regular season game at a school and the price goes up I think that is very bad for Skyline Chili and sends the opposite message of what I believe they want to send. Or put another way, it is horrible marketing by Skyline Chili, they are paying out money to a middle man and that middle man is taking their money and raising the game prices meaning Skyline Chili being involved causes the price to go up with nothing in return. As a matter of fact, I am shocked that the Skyline Chili Powers that Be allow this to happen, I think they are nuts.

Like I mentioned above and in previous years, if the event is at a big venue (like the KHSAA championships you mentioned or the games that are Nippert Stadium this year) then more power to Tom Gamble, the schools, the Corporations and anyone else making a buck because they are providing an experience for the players, fans, schools, etc. that they can't get anywhere else.

However, if it is just two schools playing a regular season game and a corporate sponsorship get slapped on the game, the price goes up, and the corporation and school officials profit, that should be criminal.

Trying to move forward here, I am thankful that Skyline Chili wants to spend their money promoting high school athletics and in the case of the games at Nippert Stadium I think it is awesome. However, when the Skyline Chili Sponsorship name goes on a regular season game at a school and the price goes up I think that is very bad for Skyline Chili and sends the opposite message of what I believe they want to send. Or put another way, it is horrible marketing by Skyline Chili, they are paying out money to a middle man and that middle man is taking their money and raising the game prices meaning Skyline Chili being involved causes the price to go up with nothing in return. As a matter of fact, I am shocked that the Skyline Chili Powers that Be allow this to happen, I think they are nuts.

You still haven't explained how this is criminal. Is the 9th region tourney criminal because the arena pays the 9th region teams a flat amount and then charges fans more to get in?

You still haven't explained how this is criminal. Is the 9th region tourney criminal because the arena pays the 9th region teams a flat amount and then charges fans more to get in?

Big venue again Clyde...

And I said it should be criminal, not that it is criminal.

It is our Government (again our schools are Government agencies) colluding with a Corporation so that the Government and the Corporation can profit at our expense with very little or no accountability.

Or put in simple terms for everyone, if the schools need more money to run their athletic programs I am fine with the schools raising the price of admission a dollar or two or three. But it should be the school doing that independently with no third party Corporation coming in and profiting from the practice.