Bengals AJ Green

USA Football has a list of NFL football players who have free camps. I think it is crazy for NFL players making millions charging kids for football camps.

My bet is the $$ goes to their foundations to help their causes and there are expenses, like insurance, paying organizers, workers, etc.

You can pretty much bet the players aren't keeping the money for their personal use.

As I said, I bet any kid that wants to go will get to go and not drop a dime.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My bet is the $$ goes to their foundations to help their causes and there are expenses, like insurance, paying organizers, workers, etc.

You can pretty much bet the players aren't keeping the money for their personal use.

As I said, I bet any kid that wants to go will get to go and not drop a dime.

Come on, you know he needs the money. That's why he is taking advantage of these poor kids, $60 MM doesn't go very far now days .

I;m with you. Guy s a class act. It's not a fund raiser, Probably pays his staff and covers insurance, rental of the property etc.

Before you start ripping the guy, this is NOT AJ Greens's camp. This camp is run by a company called ProCamps Worldwide. I happen to know a little bit about the company because they are based in Mason and were clients of mine for several years. They are a standup organization, and run camps all over the country. Their camps are as much about the experience of working out and spending a day working very closelywith a big name pro athlete, who does spend lots of individual time with the 50-100 kids. Each kids gets a lot of hands on work and interaction with the pro, who often brings other teammates to help out. This is not a camp designed to necessarily turn your kid into a great football player. its about the kid having fun and getting to say he spent a day with a star. ProCamps is basically a marketing company, and these camps are also a branding opportunity for the player, the teams, and the league. For what's it's worth, kids and parents love these camps, and they are generally well attended and spots sell out. This company works with The NFL, MLB, NBA, and other major sports leagues.

All that being said, AJ isn't making much, if anything at all from this camp. He's likely filling a contractual obligation for the Bengals as part of their local advertising campaign. Do some research before you start blasting a guy for "making millions" off kids. These camps don't make a ton of money as they are limited to less than 100 kids, and basically pays for use of facilities and camp freebies. The money being made is the Bengals (or whatever team is involved) paying ProCamps as a marketing agency.

About ProCamps - the Leader in Youth Sports Camps

Edited by rjs4470

I'm against pro athletes charging a bunch of money for camps or autograph tours. It just rubs me the wrong way. But people have to option to not attend or pay.

Again, this particular camp isn't about making money for the team or player. These camps are part of the team's marketing/branding campaigns. I'm not saying those type of camps don't exist....but this ain't one of them.

I seen alot of free camps.

And there are plenty of paid camps too. And again, understand the purpose of the camp. AJ isn't seeing a dime of this money. This is a marketing tool that AJ is likely obligated to do as part of his contract.

Can we all just agree that this was a swing and a miss on a made up controversy?

I don't think any pro should charge for camps. Read my first post. I seen it on Facebook and thought it was crazy to charge that much. But I guess other people think it is no big deal.

I don't think any pro should charge for camps. Read my first post. I seen it on Facebook and thought it was crazy to charge that much. But I guess other people think it is no big deal.

If you think its crazy, then don't send your kid to AJ's camp and there isn't much else to talk about.

Did you read any of my first post about what this camp is about?? This is a marketing tool, that AJ (nor the Bengals) isn't seeing a dime from. The kids get to spend a day doing football activity with a pro. It's a memorable experience, and I've never heard a bad thing about any of the camps and this company was a client of mine for almost 3 years and I worked with them promoting dozens of camps all across the country. As others have said, you dont to have to send your kid. But you're barking up the wrong tree trying to portray AJ as being greedy or making money off kids.

Did you read any of my first post about what this camp is about?? This is a marketing tool, that AJ (nor the Bengals) isn't seeing a dime from. The kids get to spend a day doing football activity with a pro. It's a memorable experience, and I've never heard a bad thing about any of the camps and this company was a client of mine for almost 3 years and I worked with them promoting dozens of camps all across the country. As others have said, you dont to have to send your kid. But you're barking up the wrong tree trying to portray AJ as being greedy or making money off kids.

Marvin Lewis used to run a free camp at PBS and every rookie drafted would be there.

I think your post was originally to try to put down a Bengals player, rather than talk about how pro players should have free camps. If it was just about having a discussion about having free camps, you would habe put a different title. You also wouldn't have added in how two steeeler players have free camps, unlike Green.

Your first post was not to talk about this topic. It was a weak attempt to put down a Bengals player and talk up Steeler players. While you conveniently ignored how a few of your star Steeler players also make people pay for camp.

Your attentions from the title and first post didn't show your attentions was to talk about camps. Your attention seemed to be to put one player down, while talking Steele players up. Which is basically normal for you.

Marvin Lewis used to run a free camp at PBS and every rookie drafted would be there.

I'm not sure how I can make it clearer so you'll stop beating the drum. These camps are not run by AJ Green or even the Bengals (or any of the other NFL, NBA, MLB teams that work with ProCamps). They are not run to make a profit, and none do, unless you consider 75 kids paying $199, and then taking away facility fees, camp freebies and lunch for the campers, a profitable venture. This camp and the other camps run by ProCamps worldwide, are part of the NFL's, NBA's, MLB's, etc marketing campaigns. They are very similar to the Fantasy Camps that adults attend, just on a smaller scale. This is more about the experience than a hardcore football camp. Camps like these help the league's image by making their stars more accessible to younger kids to help grow the sport and enhance images. It's purely branding. Marketing 101. You're either willing to pay for the experience or not. No one is getting ripped off except maybe AJ (or any of the other stars who are the main attractions in these camps) who isn't getting a dime as this is likely part of the personal services part of his contract. Again, I direct you to ProCamps website, Welcome to ProCamps - the Nationwide Leader in Youth Sports Camps. I'd also be happy to introduce you to the owner of the company, who's a standup dude.