2017 Preakness Stakes

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dreaming was a disappointment as the fractions were not that fast. Empire just was not good enough either. The winner ran a tough race. The rest did not do anything noteworthy.

Belmont is wide open. Not sure how big the field will be because there is not many from the Derby or Preakness that will be going on to the Belmont. Look for some new horses in the Belmont and a field of 10 or less.

Sadly I had Cloud Computing for the win and cancelled that bet and went with another horse that was near the back. Should always trust your inner voice.

Here's a word of advice I learned a long time ago. Never cancel the ticket. If the teller screws up, you were meant to have that ticket.

My example: I went up to Churchill to watch the last few races and then watch the Preakness on the big screen when Barbaro was going for the Preakness win. I was completely confident Barbaro would win and put a $20 WP bet down on him.

When I got the ticket back and checked it, it was the wrong number and exchanged it. The number of the cancelled ticket was for the 8 horse, instead of Barbaro's 6. The 8 horse was Bernardini, which paid $27.80 to win and another $9.40 to place.

Feel free to do the math. I was sick not only from watching Barbaro break down, but from knowing I threw away nearly $400. I've never cancelled a ticket since.

Classic Empire ran a good race and would have won in 155:04 which is a respectable time. He was beaten by a fresher horse with a well-timed ride. Without Cloud Computing, we would be talking about CE and without his bad trip in the Derby, how he could be a Triple Crown winner.

It will be interested to see now, who runs the Belmont. I would suspect Derby horses who sat out the Preakness, as well as some new blood.

My little blunder cost me $285

It happens to the best of us. Was going to do a tri box with three horses. When I got to the window, I changed my mind and did a key instead of a tri box. My horses ran one, two, three, but I keyed the wrong horse, but hey, I saved a couple bucks. :irked: One dollar tri paid $1700 and change. :lol2: Never again.

Classic Empire ran a good race and would have won in 155:04 which is a respectable time. He was beaten by a fresher horse with a well-timed ride. Without Cloud Computing, we would be talking about CE and without his bad trip in the Derby, how he could be a Triple Crown winner.

It will be interested to see now, who runs the Belmont. I would suspect Derby horses who sat out the Preakness, as well as some new blood.

Hope to see Battle At Midway in the Belmont. Got lots of rat hole money to put on his nose.

Possibles for Belmont:

Classic Empire: After a gallant yet troubled run to finish fourth in the Kentucky Derby and losing the Preakness Stakes by a head, Classic Empire is pressing on to the Belmont Stakes and should find himself as the favorite.

Cloud Computing: Before the Preakness, Chad Brown stated Cloud Computing would not run in the Belmont. After an upset win, though, Brown is considering the third leg of the Triple Crown, but has not given any answers that lean one way or the other.

Twisted Tom: Cloud Computing is not the only late developing three-year-old in the Chad Brown barn. Twisted Tom is on a three-race win streak, including two stakes in Maryland. $75,000 would be needed to supplement Twisted Tom into the final leg of the Triple Crown campaign.

Senior Investment: Following a late run for third in the Preakness Stakes, trainer Kenny McPeek is confident that the 1 ½ miles in the Belmont will benefit his horse.

Lookin At Lee: The Kentucky Derby runner-up made another late run in the Preakness to finish fourth. Steve Asmussen, who won last year’s Belmont with Creator, also thinks the Belmont distance should suit Lookin At Lee.

Gormley: John Shirreffs sent Gormley to Churchill Downs after winning the Santa Anita Derby, but the best the colt managed was ninth place. Gormley skipped the Preakness, but will take another shot at the Triple Crown campaign in the Belmont.

Irap: After breaking his maiden in the Blue Grass Stakes, Irap ran a distant 18th in the Kentucky Derby. The Doug O’Neill trainee skipped the Preakness, but is also expected in the Belmont.

Epicharis: While the Japanese runner skipped the Kentucky Derby, his connections always noted they would make the trip to America for the Belmont. His one loss was in the UAE Derby when Thunder Snow nipped him at the wire.

Tapwrit: The Tampa Bay Derby winner threw in a clunker in the Blue Grass, but came back to run a respectable sixth in the Kentucky Derby. Partial owners Eclipse Thoroughbred Partners also had part ownership in Destin, who lost the 2016 Belmont by a nose to Creator. Both Tapwrit and Destin are trained by Todd Pletcher.

Patch: The fan favorite, one-eyed Patch is another Pletcher horse under consideration for the Belmont. The Kentucky Derby marked only his fourth start, and he finished 14th from post 20.

Multiplier: After a sixth-place effort in the Preakness, the Illinois Derby winner returned to his Kentucky base. Trainer Brendan Walsh said Multiplier was a possible for the Belmont.

Meantime: Brian Lynch sent Meantime out in the Peter Pan Stakes, the local prep for the Belmont, where the colt finished second in his stakes debut.

Conquest Mo Money: After a disappointing seventh in the Preakness, Conquest Mo Money may be looking for redemption in the Belmont, and will hopefully draw better than the far outside, if he does take that route.

J Boys Echo: The Gotham winner only managed 15th in the Kentucky Derby, but Dale Romans could be giving his Derby horse a chance for improvement in the Belmont.