2017 Preakness Stakes

Horses I am looking at

(I stink at this)

Senior Investment 18-1

Practical Joke 16/1

Entries are up to Wednesday, but Practical Joke is not listed as an entrant. So he would be a very long shot.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going with the thought process a long shot will hit the board.

Multiplier at 20-1 looks like a good long shot pick. He's only run two races, but picked up a nice win in the Illinois Derby and showed improvement from one to the next and went from a mile up to 1 1/8. Been resting since 4/22.

Multiplier at 20-1 looks like a good long shot pick. He's only run two races, but picked up a nice win in the Illinois Derby and showed improvement from one to the next and went from a mile up to 1 1/8. Been resting since 4/22.

Well I was looking at Multiplier as my longshot in the exotics so for that very reason you might want to not select him. Figures of 78-86-93-104 in the four races he has had jumped out to me. Last 1/8 of Ill. Derby was in 12 and 2/5ths which is strong. Now you could argue he wasn't running against much competition.

Hence has me perplexed. Can't decide if his Sunland Derby was the freak outlier and he really is just a mid-80s speed figure horse or if he just had a rough trip in the KY Derby.

I wonder if he needs a fast hard track?

That is possible and I do not think Pimlico is going to come up that way Saturday. And I have to bet it on Friday night because of other commitments so I am going to have to play weatherman.

Good luck. If conditions are similar to those at the Derby, I will go:

Always Dreaming

Classic Empire

Lookin at Lee

Multiplier

Good luck. If conditions are similar to those at the Derby, I will go:

Always Dreaming

Classic Empire

Lookin at Lee

Multiplier

I think AD and Empire are the class and will battle it out. If it comes up muddy or sloppy or sealed then I would throw Lookin in there possibly under those two but leaning towards Multiplier more so.

Just do not know if there will be much pace for Lookin to run into. Could see AD going to a lead by the Half Mile pole and controlling the pace. I think Classic Empire has a good shot to win if some horse goes with AD and pushes the pace early and can hang around thru 6 furlongs or so.

But then again I am much better with Non-winners of 2 lifetime $5000 claimers so what do I know.

Best play is $20 WP on Classic Empire, and wheel him in a $5 exacta over top of the 4 longest shots on the board. I don't play with a big budget when I go at the track, but I'm as strong as ever on Classic Empire. He was the best horse in the Derby to finish 4th after that horrible trip. I think Always Dreaming gets burned out this time by the hot pace.

I was part right. Didn't think anybody would catch Empire after he took over at the top of the stretch.

Cloud Computing will be the heavy fave in 3 weeks but he won't win that one. Empire and Dreaming won't run, which is smart. Save those two for summer matchups in the Monmouth and/or Haskell. Leparoux let go of the reins about a second or two too soon. He could have put away Dreaming at any point and didn't have to do it that soon. He does that he probably has enough horse to hold off Castellano's horse.