Study: Less than 1/2 of US homes have landline phones.

Colonels_Wear_Blue

Do you still have a landline phone at your house?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still have a landline phone at your house?

• I have a landline.
    • I don't have a landline.

I have a landline and CWB covered a couple of the reasons why I keep it. Kids at home is a big one.

Another reason that has not been mentioned is I use that landline number as my main point of contact whenever possible. I keep a close watch on who I give my cell phone number to. I get zero spam/sales calls on my cell phone.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also think home ownership is a factor here. There are probably very few people who put a landline in an apartment.

I don't think that has much to do with it. All my friends own homes. Not a one has a landline. My parents and both my wife's mom and dad all have landlines. Think it's much more an age thing than a home owner thing.

I do agree that very few apartment renters probably have landlines though.

1) What would me having a landline have to do with an emergency situation if they were at a friend's or relatives house?

2) Once they're old enough to stay home alone, there will be some sort of phone (probably a pre-paid with minimal minutes) for emergencies, but wife and I are in agreement as of present that no cell phones until they start driving.

Another thing I'll add....Having a home security system makes the need for a landline even less pressing. One push of a button and EMT, Fire, or Police are on their way.

We said the same thing, and were very adamant about that, but ultimately all my kids got phones while in middle school. All were very active in sports and it was a sure fire way that they would be able to communicate changes to schedules, etc. It also provided a way for me to track them when they weren't at the house, or to get hold of them when I needed to. Don't be surprised if your thoughts change as time goes on:up:

We said the same thing, and were very adamant about that, but ultimately all my kids got phones while in middle school. All were very active in sports and it was a sure fire way that they would be able to communicate changes to schedules, etc. It also provided a way for me to track them when they weren't at the house, or to get hold of them when I needed to. Don't be surprised if your thoughts change as time goes on:up:

That's why I said "as of present". Very aware that may change. That's our plan for right now though.

Once my kids all got phones, we cut the landline, which was about 5 years ago. It was a redundancy that in my mind, just wasn't worth the cost. Our landline had basically become a way for telemarketers to reach us. I've never had the 911 issue, because others have mentioned, the first question has been "where are you located". I haven't missed having a landline.

I do still have a landline in my home office, but my company pays for it.

I feel like the attitudes towards no cell phones until the kids are in high school or 16 will change when the kids start hanging out with friends and you are wanting to know where they are hanging. Not that the kids will always be honest but at least you can be in contact.

I feel like the attitudes towards no cell phones until the kids are in high school or 16 will change when the kids start hanging out with friends and you are wanting to know where they are hanging. Not that the kids will always be honest but at least you can be in contact.

My kids spend much less time talking on their cell phones than I spent on my landline growing up. And I know they text, snapchat, etc. But it wasn't like I was totally disconnected growing up in the 80's. My wife and I were all set on being strict parents, especially with the phone once everyone started getting one. But again, it's just too convenient, and actually made parenting easier for us. Of course there were ground rules, the big one being, if Mom or Dad calls, you better answer.

One of my good friends has a 16 year old daughter who still doesn't have a cell phone...another one of my friends has an 8th grader with no cell phone. :idunno:

Its possible. Just unlikely.

I have a cell phone. My wife has a cell phone. Our landline represents us as a couple, or, in other words, our household. So many other entities have our landline as the way to contact "us" (e.g. church, school, physician, etc.). I don't have the patience to make the change and notify all those individuals or businesses.

That said, if I were 35 years younger and starting our household over in today's world, I probably would say "no" to the landline.

WE do not have a landline and haven't since 2000, unless you consider having one for a fax only purposes until 5 years ago.

As far as the Emergency stuff. I find it hard to believe with less and less landlines, and it will only move in the less direction, that the technology isn't there to determine your exact location. I have to believe it and and on $$ is why things haven't converted over to cells. I am not an expert, but it has to be there.