This is why canceling Ann Coulter was wrong

Berkeley Said No to Ann Coulter But Yes to Radical Leftist Sunsara Taylor | Mediaite

So Berkley cancels Ann Coutler who I admit says somethings I don't agree with. But then allows a far left and self proclaimed Communist who promotes anti-American ideas. This is why I have a problem with a lot of American campuses. The fact someone who is anti-America can speak but riots break out for someone on the right is disgusting.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rioting is stupid about 99% of the time.

To date the only riots in my lifetime I was behind was the LA Riots in 1992 and that isn't even 100% support for the riots. Those are the only ones where I have ever felt like I rooted for though. At the end of the day rioting solves nothing.

Let me clarify, if speakers from one side of the political spectrum can not speak on a campus for whatever reason then no political speech should be allowed on that campus.

No argument there but I will say it is as stupid to schedule Ann Coulter at Berkeley as it is to schedule Stephen Colbert at Robert Jones University.

No argument there but I will say it is as stupid to schedule Ann Coulter at Berkeley as it is to schedule Stephen Colbert at Robert Jones University.

I get your point but there aren't many conservative led colleges. But Liberty university brought Bernie Sanders on campus without incident and his beliefs are about as polar opposite from that university as possible.

The point is popularity of opinion should not matter on it's ability to be spoke at any public university.

I get your point but there aren't many conservative led colleges. But Liberty university brought Bernie Sanders on campus without incident and his beliefs are about as polar opposite from that university as possible.

The point is popularity of opinion should not matter on it's ability to be spoke at any public university.

I don't disagree. My point is that I don't understand why folks would go to a place where they know the majority isn't on their side.

The resason for freedom of speech is to speak in front of dissent.

I know that. But unless I am getting paid 400K you shouldn't expect to see me speaking at a Klan rally. Ann Coulter isn't stupid. She knew exactly what she would provoke by going to Berkeley to speak. Should they have let her speak? Absolutely. Does it make sense for her to speak at Berkeley of all places? Absolutely not.

I know that. But unless I am getting paid 400K you shouldn't expect to see me speaking at a Klan rally. Ann Coulter isn't stupid. She knew exactly what she would provoke by going to Berkeley to speak. Should they have let her speak? Absolutely. Does it make sense for her to speak at Berkeley of all places? Absolutely not.

How can you try to give someone from the other side your perspective if they don't allow you to speak? You have to go where the people are that don't agree with you.

I think that is a bad analogy. This is a college, not the Klan. It is a place where young adults should be exposed to different ideas. It should be a place where this can be done safely. Spoiled kids who riot because they don't like what someone else have to say, need a lesson in the constitution.