You borrow something and break it. What's your obligation?

BigVMan23

I feel like since she specified that she wanted the same one, you're obligated to get her that one. Although, I'd make the step-daughter's boyfriend foot the bill.

Yep...unfortunately that would be a a "pie in the sky" wish for me as it's never ever gonna happen.

I'd tell whoever it belongs to that I broke it and let them offer solutions to resolve it.

Agreed. Here is what happened, how can I make it up to you? As cliche as that may be I think its the proper thing. However delivery goes a long way, Tom should sound like he means it.

Sounds like the real problem here is the boyfriend was a major loser. First he takes it without asking, then he is stupid enough to break the pump (I'm not even sure how this is possible, then he doesn't offer to pay? This kid sucks.

I'm like some on here. I don't borrow and I don't lend. Even when I was younger. You didn't touch my ball glove and you didn't touch my bat. Period. Now I'm that way with my golf clubs. You don't even look at them without getting a death stare from me. Just sort of how I've always been. I'm that way with everything. What's mine is mine and what's yours is yours.

My parents always told me, if you borrow something you return it in the same or better shape than when you got it.

I'm always willing to loan my things out to most people. If you don't bring it back that way you borrowed it, you are cut off.