Kentucky Population

I recently attended a luncheon where Governor Bevin spoke. He has great plans for Kentucky, and compared the geographic size of KY with Indiana and Tennessee which both have higher populations. He stated KY population at about 4 million with a goal to grow it to 6 million.

Frankly, I hate that. I would rather see Kentucky preserve its space and develop the tourism business rather than rape the land to the benefit of developers to put in infrastructure to support more cyclical manufacturing.

I would rather focus on helping the people and businesses here NOW to do better rather than attracting more. But, I am one of those who think there are too many people on the planet anyway.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently attended a luncheon where Governor Bevin spoke. He has great plans for Kentucky, and compared the geographic size of KY with Indiana and Tennessee which both have higher populations. He stated KY population at about 4 million with a goal to grow it to 6 million.

Frankly, I hate that. I would rather see Kentucky preserve its space and develop the tourism business rather than rape the land to the benefit of developers to put in infrastructure to support more cyclical manufacturing.

I would rather focus on helping the people and businesses here NOW to do better rather than attracting more. But, I am one of those who think there are too many people on the planet anyway.

More electoral votes.

I guess...if we grow at a faster rate than other states. However, is it worth it?

I hate the idea of huge growth in our state. I have lived in Mt. Washington since 1972. For me the change has been burdensome.Less than 1000 population in the early seventies to nearly 15,000 residents today. Growth is inevitable I suppose, but I would prefer to have Mayberry back!

I'm inretested to hear how he envisions the growth to occur? What will bring them here? What parts of the state will see this growth? Is his number inclusive of stemming the flight of current citizens? Did he bring any outline?

I'm inretested to hear how he envisions the growth to occur? What will bring them here? What parts of the state will see this growth? Is his number inclusive of stemming the flight of current citizens? Did he bring any outline?

Yes, but more of a vision it appeared to me balancing manufacturing and tourism. Also saw a presentation by the Tourism Cabinet Secretary.

Did he give a time frame for this growth? I think this is more of a long tern vision than something that is going to happen over night. Pure speculation but I would feel confident in saying that most of us will be long gone before Kentucky comes close to approaching 6 million.

I think the vision is that if Kentucky is revitalized economically that it could become a destination state for people looking for jobs, but that too is a ways off.

I hate the idea of huge growth in our state. I have lived in Mt. Washington since 1972. For me the change has been burdensome.Less than 1000 population in the early seventies to nearly 15,000 residents today. Growth is inevitable I suppose, but I would prefer to have Mayberry back!

Move to Vanceburg .

Encourage more industry to eastern Kentucky and help with the population there. It's been in steady decline for the past three decades.

There's plenty of room in my home county of Owsley. 199 square miles of land and a population of 4,400.

Booneville, the county seat, has a population of less than 100. We'really ready for expansion. :)

Move to Vanceburg .

Or South Shore. Wife's kinfolk's name is still on the funeral home over there, and it's been decades since it was in the family. A guy named Jim Bob (true story, and I think he's from Vanceburg) took it over years and years ago, I think he many no longer have it now.