Kentucky Population

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently attended a luncheon where Governor Bevin spoke. He has great plans for Kentucky, and compared the geographic size of KY with Indiana and Tennessee which both have higher populations. He stated KY population at about 4 million with a goal to grow it to 6 million.

Frankly, I hate that. I would rather see Kentucky preserve its space and develop the tourism business rather than rape the land to the benefit of developers to put in infrastructure to support more cyclical manufacturing.

I would rather focus on helping the people and businesses here NOW to do better rather than attracting more. But, I am one of those who think there are too many people on the planet anyway.

First you realize his plan isn't for a birth rate increase from what I've read so your final point seems odd to through in. But I think both NKY and the Western part of the state have much more room to grow to be larger metropolitan areas. Also as noted a boom in industry and population is much needed in EKY.

I hate the idea of huge growth in our state. I have lived in Mt. Washington since 1972. For me the change has been burdensome.Less than 1000 population in the early seventies to nearly 15,000 residents today. Growth is inevitable I suppose, but I would prefer to have Mayberry back!

^No place like it:thumb:

First you realize his plan isn't for a birth rate increase from what I've read so your final point seems odd to through in. But I think both NKY and the Western part of the state have much more room to grow to be larger metropolitan areas. Also as noted a boom in industry and population is much needed in EKY.

To what end is this increase in industry and population needed in EKY? To collect more tax money? My position is that the land is the one resource we cannot replace, so let's take advantage of opportunities to support activities, tourism for example, that preserve the natural environment (better than industry), allow more people to enjoy, bring in tax dollars (and tourism brings in a lot of money) and offers employment to those people already there without having to recruit people from other states which becomes an economic war. I guess I am becoming more liberal by the day. :ohbrother:

To what end is this increase in industry and population needed in EKY? To collect more tax money? My position is that the land is the one resource we cannot replace, so let's take advantage of opportunities to support activities, tourism for example, that preserve the natural environment (better than industry), allow more people to enjoy, bring in tax dollars (and tourism brings in a lot of money) and offers employment to those people already there without having to recruit people from other states which becomes an economic war. I guess I am becoming more liberal by the day. :ohbrother:

Not necessarily. You just care.

But if you are...welcome. :D

Again this seems like an odd post ? So you are against bringing new industries to EKY for potential job growth and population increase ?

Again this seems like an odd post ? So you are against bringing new industries to EKY for potential job growth and population increase ?

I question the common sense in spending millions to lure cyclical industries that then need to lure people, then plow up every inch of land. I see this as the ages old temporary benefit to developers and then to politicians. There are literally thousands of unfilled jobs in the state at present. We don't even understand fully why these jobs can't be filled. Luring companies and jobs makes good political talk...it doesn't necessarily mean a better quality of life or a better state for the citizens.

Think about it for a minute...WHAT is the real benefit of bringing more people to Eastern Kentucky for the sake of bringing more people to Eastern Kentucky? Then, is the tax revenue worth the infrastructure investment....if we are investing in industry...then put it where the infrastructure already exists and there are people and housing....re-develop abandoned sites. Then, as I posted, re-think how we want to serve Eastern Kentucky instead of the same ole, same ole "we are going to bring manufacturing yada, yada, yada. We were promised new thinking and we are getting the same old stuff!!!

I question the common sense in spending millions to lure cyclical industries that then need to lure people, then plow up every inch of land. I see this as the ages old temporary benefit to developers and then to politicians. There are literally thousands of unfilled jobs in the state at present. We don't even understand fully why these jobs can't be filled. Luring companies and jobs makes good political talk...it doesn't necessarily mean a better quality of life or a better state for the citizens.

Think about it for a minute...WHAT is the real benefit of bringing more people to Eastern Kentucky for the sake of bringing more people to Eastern Kentucky? Then, is the tax revenue worth the infrastructure investment....if we are investing in industry...then put it where the infrastructure already exists and there are people and housing....re-develop abandoned sites. Then, as I posted, re-think how we want to serve Eastern Kentucky instead of the same ole, same ole "we are going to bring manufacturing yada, yada, yada. We were promised new thinking and we are getting the same old stuff!!!

I honestly I don't even know where to begin? What is the benefit of bringing jobs to an area that is hurting? It seems self explanatory? What is the benefit of population growth? Again self explanatory.

It isn't really political talk but Economic fact.

I honestly I don't even know where to begin? What is the benefit of bringing jobs to an area that is hurting? It seems self explanatory? What is the benefit of population growth? Again self explanatory.

It isn't really political talk but Economic fact.

You have totally missed my point I am afraid. I will re-state differently. I believe we should develop tourism jobs in Eastern Kentucky that play to the geographic specialties of the area. I do not believe investing heavily in infrastructure, tax breaks, training, etc. are in the best interests of the STATE. And, I will go further, if people in rural Eastern Kentucky want manufacturing jobs, they should do what most of us did and move to where they are.

You have totally missed my point I am afraid. I will re-state differently. I believe we should develop tourism jobs in Eastern Kentucky that play to the geographic specialties of the area. I do not believe investing heavily in infrastructure, tax breaks, training, etc. are in the best interests of the STATE. And, I will go further, if people in rural Eastern Kentucky want manufacturing jobs, they should do what most of us did and move to where they are.

Your answer is tourism ? That is the silver bullet for the economic woes in EKY? Really? Sure it can be a part of it, but the answer?

So people should move because politicans shouldn't be making Kentucky an attractive place for good paying jobs? The mindset of Kentucky should be attracting jobs and not telling citizens to move. While governments can't create a net positive of job growth. They can create an enviroment friendly to job and economic growth.

This is literally the least controversial thing a politican can say. I want to attract new industries and create an enviroment of job growth, by doing such we will attract people across the country seeking good paying jobs. The higher amount of good paying jobs the more tax revenue we generate.

The fact you are even trying to make this controversial........well I'm lost.

Your answer is tourism ? That is the silver bullet for the economic woes in EKY? Really? Sure it can be a part of it, but the answer?

So people should move because politicans shouldn't be making Kentucky an attractive place for good paying jobs? The mindset of Kentucky should be attracting jobs and not telling citizens to move. While governments can't create a net positive of job growth. They can create an enviroment friendly to job and economic growth.

This is literally the least controversial thing a politican can say. I want to attract new industries and create an enviroment of job growth, by doing such we will attract people across the country seeking good paying jobs. The higher amount of good paying jobs the more tax revenue we generate.

The fact you are even trying to make this controversial........well I'm lost.

I am sorry my point is lost on you. But I believe it is a different approach, but a pragmatic one that speaks to the financial well-being of the state and its citizens while changing the age old (and tired) political rhetoric of "we will bring jobs to you" when in fact it is best for the people of Kentucky (not just EKY) to save the millions of investment to lure manufacturing to EKY (which will be sites of the future ghost town) and invest in sustainable industry that plays upon the uniqueness of the area...yes tourism. And look up the economic benefit it brings before one chops it down. I believe manufacturing growth can be good for Kentucky, but not at all costs. Yep, we can find some cheap farm land and a million guys with bulldozers to doze it down and throw down another monolith that will be around 10 years or so. However, what about the areas to re-develop....I will volunteer Frankfort, since I know it well. There are plenty of sites raped years ago that stand vacant. I am confident this is the case in NKY and pretty much everywhere else. Let's lure the new business but under the new conditions that we will re-develop abandoned space. Then....as far as people moving....I would have bought my farm years ago, but I needed to work and pay for it. And, to move ahead in my career, I have moved four times over the years. I am sure this is political blasphemy, but if someone sits in EKY on their farm in the mountain and is waiting for the government to bring a job to them, because politicians keep saying they will, then I think we are part of the problem. What's wrong with a new approach to this?

I am sorry my point is lost on you. But I believe it is a different approach, but a pragmatic one that speaks to the financial well-being of the state and its citizens while changing the age old (and tired) political rhetoric of "we will bring jobs to you" when in fact it is best for the people of Kentucky (not just EKY) to save the millions of investment to lure manufacturing to EKY (which will be sites of the future ghost town) and invest in sustainable industry that plays upon the uniqueness of the area...yes tourism. And look up the economic benefit it brings before one chops it down. I believe manufacturing growth can be good for Kentucky, but not at all costs. Yep, we can find some cheap farm land and a million guys with bulldozers to doze it down and throw down another monolith that will be around 10 years or so. However, what about the areas to re-develop....I will volunteer Frankfort, since I know it well. There are plenty of sites raped years ago that stand vacant. I am confident this is the case in NKY and pretty much everywhere else. Let's lure the new business but under the new conditions that we will re-develop abandoned space. Then....as far as people moving....I would have bought my farm years ago, but I needed to work and pay for it. And, to move ahead in my career, I have moved four times over the years. I am sure this is political blasphemy, but if someone sits in EKY on their farm in the mountain and is waiting for the government to bring a job to them, because politicians keep saying they will, then I think we are part of the problem. What's wrong with a new approach to this?

I guess what I'm missing is this millions lost. Any job growth is net positive on the economy. You haven't lost me I just don't think it's a viable singular solution nor does it make Economic sense.

I have moved three times to get ahead in my field. I didn't say people shouldn't move. What I did say is the strategy of the state is to make it more attractive for people to live here not less attractive. Essentially what you are saying is the government should not make an effort to attract good paying jobs for blue collar or middle class workers. That is insane approach to a healthy sustainable economy.

For a state in the middle of the country to put it's entire future outlook on the back of the tourism industry is Economic suicide. Tourism is a such an elastic sector for most regions I can't believe you're even suggesting it as a singular solution.

I guess what I'm missing is this millions lost. Any job growth is net positive on the economy. You haven't lost me I just don't think it's a viable singular solution nor does it make Economic sense.

I have moved three times to get ahead in my field. I didn't say people shouldn't move. What I did say is the strategy of the state is to make it more attractive for people to live here not less attractive. Essentially what you are saying is the government should not make an effort to attract good paying jobs for blue collar or middle class workers. That is insane approach to a healthy sustainable economy.

For a state in the middle of the country to put it's entire future outlook on the back of the tourism industry is Economic suicide. Tourism is a such an elastic sector for most regions I can't believe you're even suggesting it as a singular solution.

You have misinterpreted my post regarding manufacturing growth. Please check again.