Aaron Hernandez found not guilty

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad story of a young man that went down the wrong path, seemingly after his father passed away.

I have mixed emotions on this: first I feel like he is a coward for taking the easy way out. He deserved to rot in that prison cell for the murder of Odin Lloyd.

The other part of me feels so bad for a dude that seemed to have the world by the tail and not even 2 years later thinks the only way to get through life was to end it.

Tragic life and tragic end to a super talented athlete.

• 2 weeks later...
IMVHO Jose Baez (the attorney who got Casey Anthony off) is positioning himself for a big time wrongful death lawsuit against the NFL. Why else would he have been so worried about his brain going to the research lab?

I'd be interested in hearing the opinion of someone with more legal knowledge. From what I've read it would be a nearly impossible to task to prove that the NFL had any responsibility in his suicide given his particular surrounding circumstances i.e. facing life in prison. Also, due to his incarceration I think he forfeited the right to jump onto the class action suit brought by many other former NFL players.

Hernandez was trying to give his wife and daughter a life of ease. If his conviction is over turned due to the ancient Mass provision on him not getting an appeal, should could keep a lot of whatever money is left.

His Estate would still be liable for a judgment entered in a wrongful death civil suit. Civil suits have a lower standard of proof (preponderance of the evidence) than do criminal prosecutions (beyond a reasonable doubt). Thus, the fact that due to a technicality he was not convicted of a crime would not absolve him of liability in a civil suit. All the evidence used to convict him at the trial level with the higher standard of proof could be used against him/his Estate in a civil trial with the lower standard of proof.

His Estate would still be liable for a judgment entered in a wrongful death civil suit. Civil suits have a lower standard of proof (preponderance of the evidence) than do criminal prosecutions (beyond a reasonable doubt). Thus, the fact that due to a technicality he was not convicted of a crime would not absolve him of liability in a civil suit. All the evidence used to convict him at the trial level with the higher standard of proof could be used against him/his Estate in a civil trial with the lower standard of proof.

The lack of a guilty verdict on his record upon appeal will make it harder to secure financial payout from his estate in civil court. Beyond reasonable doubt all but ensures civil liability, now that can't be obtained.

The lack of a guilty verdict on his record upon appeal will make it harder to secure financial payout from his estate in civil court. Beyond reasonable doubt all but ensures civil liability, now that can't be obtained.

OJ would disagree

There is a much lower standard of proof in Civil Court than in Criminal Court. Civil Trial will basically be a rehash of his Criminal Trial except instead of a sentence being given if convicted, amount of money will be determined.

There is a much lower standard of proof in Civil Court than in Criminal Court. Civil Trial will basically be a rehash of his Criminal Trial except instead of a sentence being given if convicted, amount of money will be determined.

There is nothing on his record now that says he's accountable for Lloyd's death. It may have happened but like OJ, his record is clear of it. His estate could still lose it's just harder now. That's what Hernandez wanted.

There is nothing on his record now that says he's accountable for Lloyd's death. It may have happened but like OJ, his record is clean of it.

He is, and just like OJ's Civil Trial all of the evidence can and will be presented. Remember OJ lost the Civil Trial and owed the families millions, even though there was no record of him being found guilty.

His estate is bankrupt anyways....This won't hurt the wrongful death civil suit hardly at all. They can still use all the evidence from the criminal case, they just can't use the "guilty verdict" is my understanding of it.

1.3 million dollar house.