Two a days

All Tell

The NCAA looks to be moving to eliminate preseason 2 a days. I think D2 and D3 have already done away with them and D1 is likely to follow suit based on recommendations of the NCAA Sports Sciences committee.

Should high schools follow?

How many schools still do 2 a days?

We did 3 - a - days. Short practices but in the heat of the day. We kept our kids full of gatorade and tried to be smart. It was tough, but on the first Friday night in August, we were ready.

We have gone to a one a day 3 hour practice. I don't like it, but it is the best way for us to keep track of the rules and staying in compliance. I don't think we are as ready for the first game as good as we used to be. The positive is that it forces us to play more kids.

I would be for backing up the season one week.

Every year we go away to a camp for 3-4 days. That is the only time we practice twice in a day. Went to one camp and they had us scheduled 3 practices per day and we quickly found that it is too hard on the players (and staff) even in helmets only. I find that the quality of practice yields better returns than the quantity of practices. Just like high quality reps are better than 100 poor reps.

You just aren't going to get the best out of your kids when they have to worry about fatigue.

"Camp" used to have a "FUN" element to it. Get off the bus Sunday evening, practice one good time just your team, and then the rest of the week was either scrimmage against somebody every time you went out and/or Indy/Group time stuff fit in against other teams during practice.

Haul off for 3-4 days just to go practice against yourself? Ehhhhhhh. I know, I know....."team bonding" and all of those other things, but the way some of these places are charging now for 3-4 days is a lot of coin for "team bonding" (as in the cost of a set of new uniforms/ a boat load of helmets and/or other equipment) is a bit high (especially at some of the universities).

Once scrimmages got cut out; you started seeing more people fall off going to camp or so it seems?

Two-A-Day's and Spring Practice..... Are what they are in the grand scheme of things IMO.

Back the season up a week most definitely (last weekend of August) for reasons said above.

If the idea is to get the kids ready for the first game then why not practice at the time that most mimics game time, late morning or early evening? The in the heat of the day thing is just unnecessary risk as far as I'm concerned. I'm on the record of not being a fan of the KHSAA heat guidelines because they are draconian but there are times that the dangers of practicing at a certain time outweigh the perceived benefits.

I think 2-a-days are an invaluable way to get a team ready to play. More reps and more chances to work on situational football, as well as a chance to devote more time to younger players. Plus, I like the fact that they make players fight through some adversity, something that is lacking at times in current society.

As far as the heat issue, I think the biggest thing is to get the players acclimated to the heat by spending time outside in the summer. For many high schoolers, their summers are spent almost entirely in an air-conditioned environment. In that case, their bodies are not used to the heat, not to mention the addition of pads and exercise.

While this is a great idea often times we try to mimic the in school practice schedule that way everything is routine, the only issue is that 3:30 is usually one of the hottest times of the day so heat becomes an issue more times that preferred but hey we do what we can.. though with temperatures already in the 70s and 80s I'm worried that this summer is going to be rather warm..

"Camp" used to have a "FUN" element to it. Get off the bus Sunday evening, practice one good time just your team, and then the rest of the week was either scrimmage against somebody every time you went out and/or Indy/Group time stuff fit in against other teams during practice.

Haul off for 3-4 days just to go practice against yourself? Ehhhhhhh. I know, I know....."team bonding" and all of those other things, but the way some of these places are charging now for 3-4 days is a lot of coin for "team bonding" (as in the cost of a set of new uniforms/ a boat load of helmets and/or other equipment) is a bit high (especially at some of the universities).

Once scrimmages got cut out; you started seeing more people fall off going to camp or so it seems?

Two-A-Day's and Spring Practice..... Are what they are in the grand scheme of things IMO.

Back the season up a week most definitely (last weekend of August) for reasons said above.

When our staff took over, we had not a team, but a group of individuals in the same color scheme. When we started going to camp, we immediately noticed a change in our team. Camp was not the only thing that changed the chemistry of our team, but at the end of the season we attributed it as the most significant change where we saw the most significant benefits. Its 72 hours to eat sleep and breathe football with the closest friends you can make. More of our time in between practices is spent getting to know each other on a different level, not x's and o's. It is a great time to integrate and indoctrinate rookies too. We must put an emphasis on "team bonding" and building relationships more than other teams, or so it seems...

We don't always go to a college to do camp either. There are other, more cost effective choices. And most of our kids, when we do go away to a college for camp, it will be the only time they set foot on a college campus. Heck, for some, it is the first time they have ever stayed out of town overnight. Everyone goes, regardless of ability to pay. It teaches responsibility, accountability and self reliance too. Cuts the cord, so to speak.

And we get work done. I find that we get productive practices morning and evening because of the time we give them and the activities we do in between. It is a long weekend but well worth it.

When our staff took over, we had not a team, but a group of individuals in the same color scheme. When we started going to camp, we immediately noticed a change in our team. Camp was not the only thing that changed the chemistry of our team, but at the end of the season we attributed it as the most significant change where we saw the most significant benefits. Its 72 hours to eat sleep and breathe football with the closest friends you can make. More of our time in between practices is spent getting to know each other on a different level, not x's and o's. It is a great time to integrate and indoctrinate rookies too. We must put an emphasis on "team bonding" and building relationships more than other teams, or so it seems...

We don't always go to a college to do camp either. There are other, more cost effective choices. And most of our kids, when we do go away to a college for camp, it will be the only time they set foot on a college campus. Heck, for some, it is the first time they have ever stayed out of town overnight. Everyone goes, regardless of ability to pay. It teaches responsibility, accountability and self reliance too. Cuts the cord, so to speak.

And we get work done. I find that we get productive practices morning and evening because of the time we give them and the activities we do in between. It is a long weekend but well worth it.

I understand all of that. Fully aware......played all through high school and college and coaching.

I'm not for or against. Like everything out there; it all has it's purpose(s).

Im not for 2 a days. Its especially hard on kids that live far away from the school or work.

When we did 3-a-days, we kept them there and fed them, and that was in a small county (Mason), geographically. Mercer is larger and that does impact some of our decisions in planning practices & workouts.