Georgetown Hoyas Desperately Throwing Money Around

Getslow

Is Georgetown a good job now? Besides the obvious - they are throwing around a lot of money - is it an attractive job?

Positives: good conference, tradition,

I don't know much about the school though. Does it have an on campus arena? What is the campus like? I know it is a good school academically...does that make it harder to recruit? Are the expectations there too high than what is realistic due to the success John Thompson had 20 years ago?

I am not implying anything good or bad here. I am just curious.

They have a small gym on campus that I guess is used for practice. They've played at either the Verizon Center or the Cap Centre for as long as they've been relevant. Before that, they played at gyms and small arenas around DC. Even played in a HS gym for a time.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big John Thompson is still affiliated with the program, many think this one of the problems with the G-Town job.

He's still very affiliated. You almost wonder if hiring one of his guys was designed to keep him from complaining about firing his son?

Who is the last great college and NBA player to become a good college head coach? I cannot think of any but I may be missing someone...

Delete. Just saw that the question was in reference to college coaches only.

Who is the last great college and NBA player to become a good college head coach? I cannot think of any but I may be missing someone...

Patrick Ewing is the most notable NBA player I can think of that has tried it in college instead of staying in the NBA. Avery Johnson doesn't qualify as a great NBA player IMO but I think he is the closest to the answer that we will find.

Did Pistol Pete coach any?

Patrick Ewing is the most notable NBA player I can think of that has tried it in college instead of staying in the NBA. Avery Johnson doesn't qualify as a great NBA player IMO but I think he is the closest to the answer that we will find.

Did Pistol Pete coach any?

Clyde Drexler coached at Houston...did not work out very well...

I haven't really been paying that close of attention to this thread, would Miller really leave Arizona for Ohio State? I just don't see that at all. Arizona is a better program at this point than Ohio State is, they are bringing in a hell of a recruiting class, they basically can recruit the whole west coast and only have to compete with UCLA and now maybe Oregon. Here is my rule of thumb, why leave a basketball school to go coach at a football school?

I haven't really been paying that close of attention to this thread, would Miller really leave Arizona for Ohio State? I just don't see that at all. Arizona is a better program at this point than Ohio State is, they are bringing in a hell of a recruiting class, they basically can recruit the whole west coast and only have to compete with UCLA and now maybe Oregon. Here is my rule of thumb, why leave a basketball school to go coach at a football school?

While I don't disagree with you at all, OSU is a a job that has a ton of potential. Throw in local ties that the Miller's have and I certainly wouldn't shoot down the idea of him choosing OSU over Zona. If Thad Matta was a decent coach, OSU would likely have a more recent championship than Arizona does.

While I don't disagree with you at all, OSU is a a job that has a ton of potential. Throw in local ties that the Miller's have and I certainly wouldn't shoot down the idea of him choosing OSU over Zona. If Thad Matta was a decent coach, OSU would likely have a more recent championship than Arizona does.
You don't have to sell me on OSU as I'm a big OSU fan, but uprooting your family again to basically make a horizontal move in my opinion is kind of mind boggling. Obviously personal ties to the area can change a lot of things, but I'll leave that to those on here who know Miller a lot better than I do. Also I don't think Matta is a bad coach at all, I think he's a great coach. I'm just not sure he's all that invested in coaching right now and seems to me like he doesn't care all that much right now.

You don't have to sell me on OSU as I'm a big OSU fan, but uprooting your family again to basically make a horizontal move in my opinion is kind of mind boggling. Obviously personal ties to the area can change a lot of things, but I'll leave that to those on here who know Miller a lot better than I do. Also I don't think Matta is a bad coach at all, I think he's a great coach. I'm just not sure he's all that invested in coaching right now and seems to me like he doesn't care all that much right now.

As a small business owner, if I see an employee that doesn't seem to care about their job, it would be really hard for me to say they're a great employee. To each their own though.

As a small business owner, if I see an employee that doesn't seem to care about their job, it would be really hard for me to say they're a great employee. To each their own though.

Being a great employee is different than being good at your job. Being good at your job is something you can't change. It's the effort that makes you a good employee.