Yard Work 2017

Jackie Ed

So on Saturday I bought a gallon of tiki torch oil, filled every hole and drilled ten new ones. Let it soak about 24 hrs. Bought a bag of charcoal sat it on top of the stump. Cut open the middle, dumped more oil in that let it soak 30 minutes. Got logs from my garbage wood pile and built a log circle around the stump. It's still smoldering as of tonight even with all the rain. If this doesn't work it was at least fun to build a fire.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stuff your seeing that looks like violets is likely "creeping charlie." Your typical weed and feed generally will not get rid of it. The violets will go away once summer sets in the but viney weed will remain. I have a big jug of some stuff that will kill everything except the grass, but it's at the shop and I'll have to check it tomorrow to get you the name. I see that your location says you live in NEKY, if your still in the area stop by Ashland milling and they will set you up with what you need.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, if you can get me the name I will get to Ashland Milling.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, if you can get me the name I will get to Ashland Milling.

I'll get it for you tomorrow after work, the jug I have is at the shop and has several different chemicals in it, I can't recall the name off hand but it works. Also when you go in to Ashland milling describe to the owner (he seems to always be there at the counter) what your trying to get rid of just to make sure I'm right and you get the right stuff. I'd go as far as taking a picture of it and just show that to him, that's what I did because nothing I had tried would get rid of it. As soon as he looked at the picture he knew what it was and what would kill it. He's full of information and will point you in the right direction as to what you need as well as how to apply it, etc.

I still haven't cut yet, my back yard has some very low spots that are very difficult to dry out. I'm hoping this stretch at the end of the week will do the job and I can cut Sunday.

I've done mine twice already!

Mowed for the first time this past Sunday. With all this rain it almost needs it again, definitely will by the weekend. I really need to plant some grass seen in the front, when you get close up to the yard it just looks...lets say not very good, as much "non grass" as grass. But at least I'm not alone, I'd say 70+ percent of the yards in my town look about the same once you really look at them.

• 2 weeks later...
I'll get it for you tomorrow after work, the jug I have is at the shop and has several different chemicals in it, I can't recall the name off hand but it works. Also when you go in to Ashland milling describe to the owner (he seems to always be there at the counter) what your trying to get rid of just to make sure I'm right and you get the right stuff. I'd go as far as taking a picture of it and just show that to him, that's what I did because nothing I had tried would get rid of it. As soon as he looked at the picture he knew what it was and what would kill it. He's full of information and will point you in the right direction as to what you need as well as how to apply it, etc.

Hey I made it to Ashland Milling & got the right stuff for the job! Thanks for helping point me in the right direction. I really appreciate it! :thumb:

Hey I made it to Ashland Milling & got the right stuff for the job! Thanks for helping point me in the right direction. I really appreciate it! :thumb:

So, what was the right stuff? I have creeping Charlie out the wazoo.

I just fired Trugreen yesterday. They raised the price without advising me and I had a bunch of dandelions after the first treatment.

Fantastic. I just hired them. First treatment is scheduled for today. With the amount of dandelions I already have, if there is just a "bunch" of them after today, it'll be a vast improvement. :lol2:

So, what was the right stuff? I have creeping Charlie out the wazoo.

CROSSBOW-Low Volatile Weed & Brush Herbicide which is pricey $34 a quart but definitely works. It is worth it - takes out everything but grass. You put it on by sprayer hooked to the hose.

No problem, sorry for not getting back to you with the chemical name for it. We've been so slammed with work that I honestly completely forgot about it. Ashland milling is great though, they will always steer you in the right direction as long as your able to tell them what your wanting to do. Glad you got what you needed and I can testify that it does indeed work. You may need some seed after the fact because it will literally kill everything but your grass, but your going to want to wait 3-4 weeks after using the weed killer to put it down. Their house mix of seed is great for this area as well, it's basically the same mixture that Columbus Turf uses at their sod farms.

• 1 month later...

I bought a house not too long ago. Sits on a nice little lot, but the landscaping hadn't been particularly well attended to for probably a decade or more.

I got started on the front of the house this evening. Dug out 8 barberry bushes from the beds along the front of the house, in addition to two big juniper bushes that were on the sides of my front stoop. That still leaves 6 nice mature boxwoods and a giant overgrown viburnum. I'm figuring on getting rid of the viburnum in the next couple of evenings...then I'll figure out how to modify the remaining beds around the boxwoods into something a little more to my liking.