What Do You Expect From The Wall?

TheDeuce

Let's pretend we have our big beautiful wall built and ready to go. From the Gulf Coast to the Pacific...

Now what?

What do you think having the wall is going to accomplish? What are the pros and cons?

Do you think it will stop illegal immigration?

My two cents.. I think it will add some jobs which is always a good thing. Can't just put up a wall and walk away from it. It absolutely will not stop illegal immigration, probably won't even slow it down. I also think it will cause turmoil between the two countries.

I don't know what expect from the wall, but I hope that it helps Border Patrol and the DEA curb some of the trafficking in narcotics across the border. Only massive efforts to clean up corruption in law enforcement south of the border is going to really slow the flow, but that's a much bigger problem with a much longer-term solution.

Unless they build it correctly, they will find a way around it. It is symbolic, easy to do, and inexpensive.

I expect all his voting supporters to applaud and say, see, he did what he said he would do. This is even if it doesn't solve the problem. But do it, not that expensive.

A step in the right direction, build the wall and the addition of 5,000 more armed border patrol guards, better equipment for surveillance and detection of tunnels and building facilities near wall will make it easier for detention of illegal aliens, who can then be processed for any outstanding criminal warrants, right at the border. Stronger penalties for repeat offenders.

However, due to lawlessness of gangs and some military groups and corrupt police forces, President Nieto, who has more than once denied they will pay for the wall, has cancelled his trip to the U.S. to figure out how they are going to regain control of their side of the border, which has been plagued by kidnappings and executions of LEOs, even judges. And their military has more than once pursued people 40-60 miles into our country, crossing our border and leading to 80 armed encounters with Border Patrol Agents and American land owners. The Mexican government initially denied the act. Mexican military and LEOs intentionally and without consequences(due to Mr.Obama's lax law enforcement of our sovereignty) cross the border and place U.S. LEOs and private Americans at risk. Having fired from Mexican military helicopters against MARKED border patrol vehicles. Hard to tell if they were flexing their muscles or trying to give cover to cartel's drug mules who crossed with a variety of illegal drugs or even terrorists. Any deterrent will slow down drugs and illegals. Strengthen the weak points as we reevaluate the situation. And, yes, the border will become more contentious as we begin to enforce our sovereign border. Cartels and terrorists won't like any of this action.

Shade, I expect shade. It's awfully hot out there.

I expect it to become harder to get bodies and drugs into the US. Withought people to guard the wall who are alowed to do their job the wall will be useless. The mexicans have proven to be quite the tunnelers when it comes to getting drugs acrossed the border so that wall needs to be deep.

If you don't support mining the border then all you care about is symbolism as opposed to substance.

A wall is only as good as its defenders and unless you plan on manning the wall with guards and watchtowers it is a simple matter of ladders, rope, or tunneling equipment.

It is insipid.

How much of the border currently has a wall and/or fence?

It seems like about 600 of roughly 2,000 miles in a patchwork of the worst (most well traveled) crossing points.

The border, while expansive, is not passable in all areas and there are areas of concentration where most of the crossing takes place. Tunneling is typically done in population centers.

If you ever want to see what it's really like go to Nogales, AZ or Brownsville, TX. Like ants on an anthill....

I think people are taking the wall way to literally.

I believe its value will be to be a deterrent to dissuade illegal aliens before they ever get near the wall. The wall will represent that illegal entry is not acceptable. Even if the wall is breach-able, as noted, It should send the message that illegal border crossings will be dealt with in. So you can get by the wall but once you are in you will be deported upon discovery.

This is why the sanctuary cities have to be dealt with - if there are known havens once in country then the wall is not useful. If people know there is a wall AND that they will have no haven to hide if they do get by the wall then at least the flow of illegal entry will likely be curtailed to some noticeable extent.