Sacred Heart principal feels the need to explain their choir's trip to DC.

All Tell

From the Article:

The divisiveness of this recent election is spilling over into this trip. On social media there has been an outpouring of opinions regarding Sacred Heart's participation. Some of it is scathing and not based on facts about the trip, the school or the girls.

McCoy said these are strong women who do not support misogyny, racism or xenophobia She said this is the same trip taken in 2009 after President Obama was elected, and it wasn’t considered political then.

McCoy believes it’s about a peaceful transfer of power and her girls being in a city witnessing history and making up their own mind.

In the fall of 2009 President Obama gave a nationwide speech on television for students beginning the school year - basically a pep talk encouraging them to do their best, work hard, set goals, etc. Parents of close to 100 students (out of 600~) at the school where I taught called/emailed/wrote the principal saying they wanted to opt their child out of watching the speech. Their reasoning varied from "it's distracting" to "its indoctrination" to "I don't like him." All this for a simple pep talk. Toxic politics ain't new.

In the fall of 2009 President Obama gave a nationwide speech on television for students beginning the school year - basically a pep talk encouraging them to do their best, work hard, set goals, etc. Parents of close to 100 students (out of 600~) at the school where I taught called/emailed/wrote the principal saying they wanted to opt their child out of watching the speech. Their reasoning varied from "it's distracting" to "its indoctrination" to "I don't like him." All this for a simple pep talk. Toxic politics ain't new.

I remember that.

It may sound harsh from me but if they didn't expect backlash then they are naive to America. They should go on their trip as planned and quit worrying about what people have to say. Once in a lifetime experience. The Sacred Heart principal needs to have a spine and tell folks to shut the hell up and worry about themselves.

Exactly.