Trump saves a thousand jobs in Indiana

Yeah yeah yeah because the numbers are false and everything is an illusion. Heard it all before.

Wait, weren't you just criticizing this situation? That's a quick turn. You must follow Donald on Twitter don't you?

The number of working aged people who have left the workforce under Obama is no illusion. What I am criticizing is some unconstitutional threats that Trump has made against American companies. If Trump follows through on those threats and tries to punish companies for moving operations offshore instead of focusing on repairing the business climate here, then he will not be an even mediocre president as far as the economy is concerned. I am betting that he will listen to his own experts and not further wreck this horrible economy.

There is no inconsistency in my position. And for the record, I have blocked Trump and most of his followers from my Twitter account. They were almost annoying as Obama supporters have been. :lol2:

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes or no question. No need for a dissertation, book report or blog. Simple yes or no question.

Is the economy currently considered healthy? Yes or no. Doesn't matter how, why or who did what. On 12/5/16 is the US economy considered healthy? Yes or no.

No, not by any objective measure. It was certainly not healthy when Obama took office either, but eight years was plenty of time for a real recovery to take place.

The number of working aged people who have left the workforce under Obama is no illusion. What I am criticizing is some unconstitutional threats that Trump has made against American companies. If Trump follows through on those threats and tries to punish companies for moving operations offshore instead of focusing on repairing the business climate here, then he will not be an even mediocre president as far as the economy is concerned. I am betting that he will listen to his own experts and not further wreck this horrible economy.

There is no inconsistency in my position. And for the record, I have blocked Trump and most of his followers from my Twitter account. They were almost annoying as Obama supporters have been. :lol2:

:lol2:

Understood.

No, not by any objective measure. It was certainly not healthy when Obama took office either, but eight years was plenty of time for a real recovery to take place.

Fair enough. I'm always interested in the different views regarding the economy. They all confuse me but I am always intrigued by what people say about it.

Fair enough. I'm always interested in the different views regarding the economy. They all confuse me but I am always intrigued by what people say about it.

Well since your interested I will throw you my bone and opinion.

Economy is bad and has been during and before Obama.

The Obama WH has manipulated #s on unemployment. It dont count those who just quit looking for jobs.

Its actually cheaper for some to just not work and let the government take care of them. Welfare, Housing, Medical, Phone. I cant say I blame some of them.

I dont think many actually want to work either, its easy to be lazy and let someone else take care of you. Which IMO is what the Dems want people to be like.

Well since your interested I will throw you my bone and opinion.

Economy is bad and has been during and before Obama.

The Obama WH has manipulated #s on unemployment. It dont count those who just quit looking for jobs.

Its actually cheaper for some to just not work and let the government take care of them. Welfare, Housing, Medical, Phone. I cant say I blame some of them.

I dont think many actually want to work either, its easy to be lazy and let someone else take care of you. Which IMO is what the Dems want people to be like.

What do you guys use to determine if the economy is bad?

IMO, there are several factors that need to be considered in order to consider the economy good. GDP of over 3% for a full year, unemployment going down because of job growth and not from lower labor participation rates, increasing average hourly wages, increasing average hours worked, positive consumer sentiment numbers, rising home ownership rates, normalized interest rates that are free from artificial Fed manipulation, fewer on food stamps, fewer on welfare. These would be some of the factors that would indicate a strong and growing economy.

IMO, there are several factors that need to be considered in order to consider the economy good. GDP of over 3% for a full year, unemployment going down because of job growth and not from lower labor participation rates, increasing average hourly wages, increasing average hours worked, positive consumer sentiment numbers, rising home ownership rates, normalized interest rates that are free from artificial Fed manipulation, fewer on food stamps, fewer on welfare. These would be some of the factors that would indicate a strong and growing economy.

...and where do you get those numbers that are not manipulated.

I probably have two measures at a personal level.

1. Could I find a similar job with similar pay if needed.

2. Percentage of co-workers laid off this year.

A much broader measure are the overall social security reciepts. Annually they always went up (even in 'recessions') - except from 2009 to 2011. The only time in history that SSA receipts went down (and for multiple years). And local business owners I know say it did start in 2007. So the Bush/Obama deep recession/light depression did result in materially less 'earned income' for the first time since SSA started.

There has never been the 'pop' that has usually come at the end of a recession. Some of that is on ACA and government over-regulation. But the structural global situation is still playing out. The siren of $14 hour labor for 'high tech' white collar type workers is as strong or stronger than those manufacturing factories in Mexico. Its global competition. Everything that adds cost to a worker hurts jobs here.

Mandated healthcare, UE insurance, 401K match, workers comp, social security match all hurt. Notice what is missing. Its probably not even a factor.

...and where do you get those numbers that are not manipulated.

Since the only thing I mentioned being manipulated was the Federal Reserve rates, it's pretty simple. Allow the market to determine where interest rates should be instead of being artificially kept near zero by the Federal Reserve.

Since the only thing I mentioned being manipulated was the Federal Reserve rates, it's pretty simple. Allow the market to determine where interest rates should be instead of being artificially kept near zero by the Federal Reserve.

By definition, the (private and partially foriegn-owned) Fed is supposed to technically 'manipulate' rates. That is basically their sole job. And print money, of course.

This is supposed to be the 'magic' of the private central bank system. But usually, its a spike and a crash cycle. Government-issed money (as mandated by the Constitution and as issued by Germany in '30s.) would be more responsive as you suggest.

I do not believe anyone has tried to bring back government-issued currency since Kennedy.

By definition, the (private and partially foriegn-owned) Fed is supposed to technically 'manipulate' rates. That is basically their sole job. And print money, of course.

This is supposed to be the 'magic' of the private central bank system. But usually, its a spike and a crash cycle. Government-issed money (as mandated by the Constitution and as issued by Germany in '30s.) would be more responsive as you suggest.

I do not believe anyone has tried to bring back government-issued currency since Kennedy.

True, however they have kept the reserve rate at or near zero for years without justification and without any success stimulating the economy. All the low rates did was allow banks to profit more than they would have in a market driven environment.

True, however they have kept the reserve rate at or near zero for years without justification and without any success stimulating the economy. All the low rates did was allow banks to profit more than they would have in a market driven environment.

Banks ... and our own Federal government...student loan situation is basically loan sharking.

Scott Adams (Dilbert's creator) takes on PhD on tarriff policy.

Link:

Ivory Tower Economist Tries To School Dilbert's Scott Adams On Trade... Fails | Zero Hedge

Ending:

Mr. Boudreaux, while I appreciate your zeal for trade agreements, I am slightly surprised as to the naivety of your argument. You haven’t given the readers enough credit. Something you PhD economists are going to be facing much more of in the coming years. There is a movement to educate and draw in the American public to such economic discussions. We will be better prepared to understand your theoretical, applicable and logical fallacies. You should take note, and be better prepared next time.

(Emphasis not added)