Districts/ Regionals

drew4489

It seems like KHSAA could do something to even out the regions a little more. 4 out of the top 5 teams in the state are in the 7th region. I know this isn't the case every year but I am sure its pretty similar.

Evening out the regions is an interesting idea, what could be more interesting is how you could possibly do it. I think that in a given year you will typically have 3 regions making up about half of the top 20.

I think this is a direct result of the amount of "club players" in these areas. More specifically, if we just talk about the 7th region this year. How would you propose splitting up 4 schools, in the same city, into different regions?

I realize that your post might have been rhetorical but it is along the lines of what we are looking at year over year with the 7th, 9th and 11th regions.

It seems like KHSAA could do something to even out the regions a little more. 4 out of the top 5 teams in the state are in the 7th region. I know this isn't the case every year but I am sure its pretty similar.

Rankings are just rankings. The last 3 state champs are from:

2015 - Region 9 (Region 11 runner up)

2014 - Region 4 (Region 10 runner up)

2013 - Region 11 (Region 7 runner up)

So, despite what seems like an overflow of potential state champs from Region 7 year in and year out, it has not been the case the last three years. Will Region 7 still win their share of state titles? Yes, because it is the biggest metro area in the state with a strong soccer foundation but I don't think we need to go changing the regions around because of all the highly ranked teams in Region 7.

Khsaa wants representation from all 4 quadrants of the state, they are not interested in putting the top 2 teams in the finals. Makes for some great regional finals though.

True. High school sports in general is about representation and participation, not outright competition.

Khsaa wants representation from all 4 quadrants of the state, they are not interested in putting the top 2 teams in the finals. Makes for some great regional finals though.

This is true. But makes for some awful semi-state and Elite 8 games. I understand what KHSAA wants, but still think it can be tweaked to minimize blowouts or mercy rule games that deep into the state tournament.

Districts and Regions are pretty much strictly geographical.

There are some horrendous mismatches that occur in basketball as well.

In the 37th District Silver Grove, who are fortunate enough to field a team, and Calvary Christian, another small-enrollment private school, are in the same district as 6A Campbell County, 4A Scott, and perennial contender Bishop Brossart.

This is a result of our one-class system.

Ironically, in soccer this season, Calvary Christian (12-4-4) had a contentious team that defeated both Bishop Brossart and Scott during the regular season.

So far as putting multiple contenders from the same district/region into other district/regions, it "ain't" gonna happen. This is why in basketball, oftentimes invitational tournaments such as the LexCath Holiday Tournament, are more contentious than the Sweet Sixteen KHSAA Sweet Sixteen State Tournament.

Is football and track the only two sports in KY that have a class based state championship? Being an OH guy, I'm more accustomed to a class based championship in all sports although I have been an official in another state outside OH.

I'm curious as to the stats over the past 10 years across the state of KY in terms of # of schools, boy&girl enrollment and for each school the participation count per sport as well as for those sports that are classified the breakdown of classification over those 10 years. The reason I ask is that in another state I'm familiar with that was similar to KY the rationale for non classification outside of football and basketball was based on historical participation numbers. As the state's demographics evolved causing other sports to increase in participation while football actually decreased as well as prop IX, they are migrating to a class based state championship across sports that makes competitive sense. It is being done based on the stats I mentioned above and not a 3-4 but 10-15 year participation trending.