Washington high school forfeiting against this team. Thoughts?

This is teaching the kids the wrong thing. If a school like Somerset got matched up with say Lafayette in a Bowl game I don't think Somerset or any other small school team in the state would forfeit. You go out there and do the best you can knowing the odds aren't in your favor and try to learn where your team is vulnerable.

Heck, just on a local level I've seen Caverna teams with 15-16 kids total on the sidelines, yet they schedule a small-school power like Somerset for a non-district game? They have 30+ kids this year, but just last year they had only 20 and still managed to put 24 on the board against the Jumpers.

The moral of the story is, I guess, some teams take their whoopin's and others won't.

I can see a team like Fulton City that has small numbers forfeiting against a team with larger numbers they would have to play as a district opponent such as Russellville now or Mayfield back in the day for safety reasons. However to not totally cancel the game, declare it a forfeit and then have a controlled scrimmage where some players from the team that won by forfeit can suit up in the opposing team's uniforms and scrimmage with them. For example, some of Russellville's players can suit up in Fulton City uniforms and scrimmage with Fulton City against Russellville. This will keep both teams sharp and focused on future games and scrimmage in game conditions without anybody getting hurt,

I can see a team like Fulton City that has small numbers forfeiting against a team with larger numbers they would have to play as a district opponent such as Russellville now or Mayfield back in the day for safety reasons. However to not totally cancel the game, declare it a forfeit and then have a controlled scrimmage where some players from the team that won by forfeit can suit up in the opposing team's uniforms and scrimmage with them. For example, some of Russellville's players can suit up in Fulton City uniforms and scrimmage with Fulton City against Russellville. This will keep both teams sharp and focused on future games and scrimmage in game conditions without anybody getting hurt,
There's no way Russellville's coach in your hypothetical example would allow that.

There must be something else brewing behind the scenes on this story. Maybe a unofficial boycott against a school for something other than just being good.

If these teams scheduled Archbishop Murphy, then they should play the game. Period. I agree with the poster who said they are teaching their kids the wrong life lessons.

I take it you're talking a shot at Ashland, but I'm a little lost here. Help a fella out.

Yes I am.

Ashland's Middle School team forfeited a second round playoff game last year against Belfry citing that Belfry would have an unfair advantage.They effectively decided to end their season with a forfeit.

Yes I am.

Ashland's Middle School team forfeited a second round playoff game last year against Belfry citing that Belfry would have an unfair advantage.They effectively decided to end their season with a forfeit.

What was the "unfair advantage" they were citing? I'm getting sick and tired of Ashland dodging Belfry. They canceled the series in high school during Coach Love's first year. I don't think it was Coach Love's call, but it still didn't sit well withl me nonetheless. Is it any wonder Belfry is winning championship after championship, and Ashland is exiting 1st or 2nd round of playoffs every year. Our district is weak enough, Ironton isn't Ironton anymore, and we cancel series with Belfry when we should be looking to strengthen our schedule instead of weakening it.

What was the "unfair advantage" they were citing? I'm getting sick and tired of Ashland dodging Belfry. They canceled the series in high school during Coach Love's first year. I don't think it was Coach Love's call, but it still didn't sit well withl me nonetheless. Is it any wonder Belfry is winning championship after championship, and Ashland is exiting 1st or 2nd round of playoffs every year. Our district is weak enough, Ironton isn't Ironton anymore, and we cancel series with Belfry when we should be looking to strengthen our schedule instead of weakening it.

They, more specifically the parents, were claiming Belfry were playing players that were too old and that should be ineligible (False). The coaching staff essentially chose to fall in line with the parents' wishes.

I think you deserve a lot of credit @LRCW, you have always been willing to put your Maroon colored glasses to the side when you see a clear issue. I have always respected that. Everyone should be allowed to show a little homer from time to time, but I always think kudos are deserved when someone knows the right time to say "I won't take it that far.."

There's no way Russellville's coach in your hypothetical example would allow that.

Not only that, but the Fulton schools for years DID play Mayfield, and as far as I know never did forfeit a game.

I dont know that the real reason should even be posted publicly to be honest.

I dont know that the real reason should even be posted publicly to be honest.

Please PM me. I believe I remember @Watusi and I briefly discussing this last year now. Can't remember all the details though. It seems like if I remember correctly they didn't even inform anyone about not showing up for the game.