Attack Against Police a Hate Crime?

Getslow

This came up in a legislative update session at the Kentucky Bar Association meeting in Covington this morning.

A bill has been prefiled for the 2017 Ky. Legislative session that will take up a proposal to add law enforcement officers, firefighters, and emergency medical personnel to the list of protected classes under Kentucky's existing hate crime statute.

BR 75 at Ky. Legislature website

Is there a trending hatred toward firefighters in this country? Are there protests when a house burns down but the neighborhood feels like it should have been saved?

I'm not discounting their job. I'm just not seeing them injured or killed because of their profession at the same rate as police officers.

Is there a trending hatred toward firefighters in this country? Are there protests when a house burns down but the neighborhood feels like it should have been saved?

I'm not discounting their job. I'm just not seeing them injured or killed because of their profession at the same rate as police officers.

I too was mystified about the inclusion of firefighters and EMT's in the bill. Without knowing more, it makes me wonder whether the legislators proposing this are all that serious.

Well fire fighters aren't called into deal with violent criminals, so common sense would tell us they wouldn't be sought after like police are in some cases.

There's been a few in Cincinnati in the past year or so that have died in the line of duty.

I have two problems here:

1) I've never been precisely sure how I feel about hate crime laws in general. They're notoriously difficult to pin down and I'm not sure assigning aggravators in this way necessarily diminishes crime.

2) We already have special laws for attacking law enforcement officers. In what ways would this law broaden existing offenses or increase existing punishments? Do we need additional protections from hate crime laws or simply to beef up protections that already exist?

Well fire fighters aren't called into deal with violent criminals, so common sense would tell us they wouldn't be sought after like police are in some cases.

While not sought after like the police, FF's and EMS personnel are often on the scene of violent crimes before police are.

I personally have been surrounded by angry mobs at the scene of shootings, stabbings, etc. several times. It's a scary situation.

If someone assaults a LEO, FF, EMT, Paramedic, etc. in KY they are charged with 3rd degree assault. I'm fine with it being made a hate crime.

While not sought after like the police, FF's and EMS personnel are often on the scene of violent crimes before police are.

I personally have been surrounded by angry mobs at the scene of shootings, stabbings, etc. several times. It's a scary situation.

If someone assaults a LEO, FF, EMT, Paramedic, etc. in KY they are charged with 3rd degree assault. I'm fine with it being made a hate crime.

I am a retired firefighter and you are 100% correct about firefighters and EMS being exposed to violent crime scenes. Even if police are on the scene it can still be a very dangerous situation.

1) I've never been precisely sure how I feel about hate crime laws in general. They're notoriously difficult to pin down and I'm not sure assigning aggravators in this way necessarily diminishes crime.

2) We already have special laws for attacking law enforcement officers. In what ways would this law broaden existing offenses or increase existing punishments? Do we need additional protections from hate crime laws or simply to beef up protections that already exist?

I agree with the bolded. I have never been a fan of "hate crimes" at all. If we are going to have them though, I would agree that the LEO's should be included.

This has always been my thinking with all hate crime laws.

I don't see how adding a hate crime charge to a murder or assault makes it any worse than it already is or how it makes the victim or their family feel any less loss.

If I get beat up or killed because of my race or religion or profession...I'd think that murder charges, if prosecuted properly, would be enough.

If the law is going to be passed then absolutely Fire Fighters and EMTs need to be included, several cases over the last few years of them being targeted also.

This.

The concept of 'hate crime' is a political one - not a practical one. It feels like an attempt to legislate an abstract concept.