Should the KHSAA have a minimum number of enrollment for association participation?

BigVMan23

As I was looking through the enrollment stats for schools today for another topic, I was just amazed at how many extremely small schools there are in the KHSAA. The smallest has a total enrollment of 13...13 kids in high school. That got me to thinking. Should there be a minimum number of students enrolled to participate in the KHSAA? Without going into a myriad of reasons, my first thought is to say yes...a school like the one above with 13 students can't even field a basic team is basketball, volleyball, etc. Plus, there are other options for a school like this if the want to compete outside of the KHSAA if/when they can actually put a team together. I personally think they are just taking up space on the KHSAA roster, but that's me.

What's the harm in a small school being a KHSAA member? Who's hurt or disadvantaged by that school being a member??

It's of no benefit to have a school like that in the association...again my opinion. So that school is technically in someone's district, and for what? I might understand it a little better if there were not other options available for athletic participation, but there are. I just think there should be a minimum limit set for participation to ensure those schools can field teams in a minimum number of sports. Does it hurt me that they are in? Not one bit. But that doesn't keep me from having the opinion that they probably shouldn't be. Now if they are paying the same dues everyone else is to be a member (are dues paid to be a member?:idunno:) I understand why the KHSAA would allow them, they won't turn down money.

The decision should rest with the schools. If they feel it is in their best interest to be a KHSAA member and the fit all the current criteria, let them in. But if they feel it's in their best interest to compete in one of the smaller, specialized associations, then that's their choice. I'm not for letting the KHSAA make that decision for them. I do think, however, it may be time for a third party to organize an even smaller version of the "All A," a tournament for each sport inviting only schools with an enrollment of 100 or under. But that's just an idea.

It's of no benefit to have a school like that in the association...again my opinion. So that school is technically in someone's district, and for what? I might understand it a little better if there were not other options available for athletic participation, but there are. I just think there should be a minimum limit set for participation to ensure those schools can field teams in a minimum number of sports. Does it hurt me that they are in? Not one bit. But that doesn't keep me from having the opinion that they probably shouldn't be. Now if they are paying the same dues everyone else is to be a member (are dues paid to be a member?:idunno:) I understand why the KHSAA would allow them, they won't turn down money.

What are the other options? Would this decision be discriminatory?

Maybe they've got students that participate in individual sports like golf, tennis or cross country and they want those kids to be able to participate in the state level championships. There are other sports beyond the big team sports. Does not having a football or basketball team de-value the other sports and make their participants not worthy of participating in KHSAA events?? I don't see the benefit of keeping those kids out, or what other member schools would gain. I only see the small enrollment schools being denied participation, which just isn't fair.

What are the other options? Would this decision be discriminatory?

Welcome to The Official Website of The Kentucky Christian Athletic Association and KCSAA.NET - Kentucky Christian School Athletic Association are much better options for all involved, IMO. Also, if this were to occur, which I am a fan of http://bluegrasspreps.com/bgp-break-room/khsaa-rule-change-333032.html then that would take care of the individual sports for those that think it would be an issue.

Welcome to The Official Website of The Kentucky Christian Athletic Association and KCSAA.NET - Kentucky Christian School Athletic Association are much better options for all involved, IMO. Also, if this were to occur, which I am a fan of http://bluegrasspreps.com/bgp-break-room/khsaa-rule-change-333032.html then that would take care of the individual sports for those that think it would be an issue.

Why create more unnecessary rules and regulations? There isn't an issue with it as it currently is, so why try to change it?

A school that size can compete in sports such as Tennis, Cross Country, Track, and Cheerleading. They may not be able to field a team such as basketball, softballball, or baseball, but still have those options.

Also, the KHSAA is not going to deny anyone entry. That would cause them to lose money on their part.

Finally, the school you are referring to, Holy Family (Ashland), is just restarting its high school and I would think that eventually their enrollment would go up.

The decision should rest with the schools. If they feel it is in their best interest to be a KHSAA member and the fit all the current criteria, let them in. But if they feel it's in their best interest to compete in one of the smaller, specialized associations, then that's their choice. I'm not for letting the KHSAA make that decision for them. I do think, however, it may be time for a third party to organize an even smaller version of the "All A," a tournament for each sport inviting only schools with an enrollment of 100 or under. But that's just an idea.

What letter is before A?

Which brings us to the consolidation topic. I don't have a dog in that fight, but just how many schools do we really need? We've solved the transportation issue with better roads.

I'm shocked that Silver Grove is still operating as a school. I think the current junior class has less than 10 or so students.

As I was looking through the enrollment stats for schools today for another topic, I was just amazed at how many extremely small schools there are in the KHSAA. The smallest has a total enrollment of 13...13 kids in high school. That got me to thinking. Should there be a minimum number of students enrolled to participate in the KHSAA? Without going into a myriad of reasons, my first thought is to say yes...a school like the one above with 13 students can't even field a basic team is basketball, volleyball, etc. Plus, there are other options for a school like this if the want to compete outside of the KHSAA if/when they can actually put a team together. I personally think they are just taking up space on the KHSAA roster, but that's me.

In order to make a change as you suggest there has to be a problem that the change would fix. What problem does the KHSAA have today with really small schools?