Lincoln County's struggle in the past 9 years

ckyfootball

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't Lincoln Co. Schools in some hot water with the state recently? Does that have anything to do with it? Seems like state takeovers have a negative effect on football.

Yes, several years ago Lincoln was a PLA (persistently low achieving) school. They are no longer in that classification now and have actually been declared a school of distinction..BUT having said that, Pulaski County was also a PLA school and they won a State Championship. Several on this thread have made valid arguments....lack of administrative support has to be at the top, and I also believe there are kids who need to be playing who are not.

Yes, several years ago Lincoln was a PLA (persistently low achieving) school. They are no longer in that classification now and have actually been declared a school of distinction..BUT having said that, Pulaski County was also a PLA school and they won a State Championship. Several on this thread have made valid arguments....lack of administrative support has to be at the top, and I also believe there are kids who need to be playing who are not.

Administrative support is very very crucial. Not just money either. A lot of things can go into it. I'll be honest I believe Larry French wanted to stay at Lincoln but Boyle offered things that Lincoln would not or could not offer and money was only a small part of it.

I would think the location could also be an issue. Being sandwiched between Danville and Somerset as they are constantly growing means teams like Boyle and Pulaski will have resources that Lincoln just won't. That being said, administrative support, at the central office level is a must to be successful.

I would think the location could also be an issue. Being sandwiched between Danville and Somerset as they are constantly growing means teams like Boyle and Pulaski will have resources that Lincoln just won't. That being said, administrative support, at the central office level is a must to be successful.

What resources? Do you mean things like assistant coaches teaching in the high school?

I would think a little of everything. Money in the district that allows the surrounding counties to have more. I would imagine all of Boyle and Pulaski's assistants work in the building. More and more people moving out of Lincoln to the surrounding counties. All of these factors add up.

Back in the glory days of Phillips, Jaggers, Estes (sometimes a forgotten name from 97-01 that had some very solid teams, including a '99 Region Finalist) and French you had names like Penman, Newcomb, Givens, Gooch, Jones, Hill, Simpson, Napier, Alcorn, Wilkinson, Miller, Smith etc....Lincoln County hasn't had that for sometime. Lincoln County was one of these rural county schools that also had speed & just overall good talent. You remove those names from those teams & it's a different ball game for a lot of those years.

Of those names above, their son's have and/or are playing elsewhere in the area over the years.

Current Somerset Head Coach, Robbie Lucas was also a former head man at Lincoln County from 2002-2004 seasons and only won seven games in three years. Obviously, what he has been able to do at Somerset speaks for himself. But, he's another coach that you can add to list of Settles and Leffew (guys that know football and kids. Settles won at Bullitt East. Travis knows football, let's not get that twisted...you can't play for the likes of Chuck Smith & Bobby Petrino in college, along with NFL experience and NOT know football) who have struggled there.

Edited by Harry Doyle

Back in the glory days of Phillips, Jaggers, Estes (sometimes a forgotten name from 97-01 that had some very solid teams, including a '99 Region Finalist) and French you had names like Penman, Newcomb, Givens, Gooch, Jones, Hill, Simpson, Napier, Alcorn, Wilkinson, Miller, Smith etc....Lincoln County hasn't had that for sometime. Lincoln County was one of these rural county schools that also had speed & just overall good talent. You remove those names from those teams & it's a different ball game for a lot of those years.

Of those names above, their son's have and/or are playing elsewhere in the area over the years.

Current Somerset Head Coach, Robbie Lucas was also a former head man at Lincoln County from 2002-2004 seasons and only won seven games in three years. Obviously, what he has been able to do at Somerset speaks for himself. But, he's another coach that you can add to list of Settles and Leffew (guys that know football and kids. Settles won at Bullitt East. Travis knows football, let's not get that twisted...you can't play for the likes of Chuck Smith & Bobby Petrino in college, along with NFL experience and NOT know football) who have struggled there.

Add Wooldridge to that list. He commanded the Pats from '78 to '82 I believe. He had outstanding teams that won their District and played in the AAA playoffs.

The Rec Dept has lost several players to an outside individual that has fielded teams. Many of the best kids have opted to playing for him instead of the Rec Dept.

From what I've heard, it was a wise decision.

Have you seen these teams. Fundamentals are not coached. Not a big fan of those teams. I think if I'm not mistaken the guy who coaches the team never played football, not sure though. Nevertheless he doesn't teach appropriate fundamental things.

I would think a little of everything. Money in the district that allows the surrounding counties to have more. I would imagine all of Boyle and Pulaski's assistants work in the building. More and more people moving out of Lincoln to the surrounding counties. All of these factors add up.

Not true. Lincoln County (24,463) continues to grow by population and is not much smaller than Boyle County (29,809). Both are dwarfed by Pulaski County (63,782).

Lincoln County is not a poor county without means. If that's your point, you're wrong. If you're saying the school system doesn't provide the resources, then that may be true but it's not obvious.