Lincoln County's struggle in the past 9 years

ckyfootball

In 2006, Lincoln County was 10-2, in 2007 Larry French took Lincoln County to the State-Semi's where the lost to eventual state champion Ft. Thomas Highlands. That team had a record of 11-3 and won the district and region titles. French left after that season for Boyle County (and led them to 2 State Championships) and Lincoln County hired Mike Settles in 2008, then Travis Leffew in 2014, Lincoln hasn't had a winning season since..... going 1-9, 2-8, 4-7, 5-7, 5-6, 5-6, 3-7, 3-9, and have only won 2 play-off games, so far this season they are 0-4. That's a combined record of 28-63. During that span, teams that Lincoln County used to dominate...i.e Pulaski County, have gotten immensely better and have even won State Championships. Death Valley used to be an intimidating place to play and Lincoln County used to "expect" to win when they stepped on the field, either at home or away. What has happened to the Patriot Pride in the last 9 years?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do miss Old Lincoln. Back in the day it used to be a great rivalry.

In the beginning of the first Chuck Smith era, Boyle had to drop Lincoln because they couldn't compete. Lincoln won 6 straight lopsided games between 1987 and 1992

1987 LC 28 BC 6

1988 LC 39 BC 0

1989 LC 28 BC 0

1990 LC 20 BC 0

1991 LC 53 BC 6

1992 LC 27 BC 0

My, how things changed........

Was Mike Settles a bad coach? No. Is Travis Leffew a bad coach? No.

What's the problem? I don't know. Nobody who I know, knows the problem. I've been a fan, player, alum and booster since the first game was played in 1974.

There are plenty of excuses but no real reasons. Even rural county schools have a cycle of talent every few years. Nine years of futility is unheard of in this area.

Lincoln County had two losing seasons in 2002-2003 but before that, you have to go back to 1975-76 to find two losing seasons in a row, before this 9 year streak. It defies logic.

In 42 previous seasons Lincoln County High School has never suffered a losing season. Will this be the first? In order to find a winless season in Lincoln County football, you have to go back 56 years to 1960 when Stanford High School went 0-8.

There are athletic and talented kids in the school. In this same 9 year period, the boys basketball and girls basketball teams have flourished. They've both had multiple appearances in the Sweet Sixteen. The community loves a winner and would go wild for another competitive football team.

What do you mean by "support"?

From parents, students, community...I got some friends involved in football over there and they admit it's more of a "basketball friendly" atmosphere.

You're a 5A school...how many kids on varsity team?

Youth league teams have been decent to pretty dang good over the past few years.

Maybe it has something to do with the Rec Dept over there...I hear it's pathetic.

From parents, students, community...I got some friends involved in football over there and they admit it's more of a "basketball friendly" atmosphere.

You're a 5A school...how many kids on varsity team?

Youth league teams have been decent to pretty dang good over the past few years.

Maybe it has something to do with the Rec Dept over there...I hear it's pathetic.

The youth league numbers are down but the community still financially supports the team.

The youth league numbers are down but the community still financially supports the team.

The Rec Dept has lost several players to an outside individual that has fielded teams. Many of the best kids have opted to playing for him instead of the Rec Dept.

From what I've heard, it was a wise decision.

Was Mike Settles a bad coach? No. Is Travis Leffew a bad coach? No.

What's the problem? I don't know. Nobody who I know, knows the problem. I've been a fan, player, alum and booster since the first game was played in 1974.

There are plenty of excuses but no real reasons. Even rural county schools have a cycle of talent every few years. Nine years of futility is unheard of in this area.

Lincoln County had two losing seasons in 2002-2003 but before that, you have to go back to 1975-76 to find two losing seasons in a row, before this 9 year streak. It defies logic.

In 42 previous seasons Lincoln County High School has never suffered a losing season. Will this be the first? In order to find a winless season in Lincoln County football, you have to go back 56 years to 1960 when Stanford High School went 0-8.

There are athletic and talented kids in the school. In this same 9 year period, the boys basketball and girls basketball teams have flourished. They've both had multiple appearances in the Sweet Sixteen. The community loves a winner and would go wild for another competitive football team.

Can the downfall be related to the rise of the one sport athlete? In our era Lincoln had great football players who were excellent basketball players as well. If one sport encourages kids to not play other sports, that has to hurt.

Can the downfall be related to the rise of the one sport athlete? In our era Lincoln had great football players who were excellent basketball players as well. If one sport encourages kids to not play other sports, that has to hurt.

If that's is happening, that is pitiful.

I get the same impression from them. I don't think their good basketball players are encouraged to play other sports. They have been bad at baseball and football for a while but good at basketball. Is there basketball coach also the AD?