Lincoln County's struggle in the past 9 years

ckyfootball

Have you seen these teams. Fundamentals are not coached. Not a big fan of those teams. I think if I'm not mistaken the guy who coaches the team never played football, not sure though. Nevertheless he doesn't teach appropriate fundamental things.

I've heard changes are coming. When I played youth football in the 70's, there were 6 youth teams: 3 in Stanford, 1 each in Crab Orchard, Waynesburg and Hustonville. That was through 8th grade. We had 30+ kids on freshman team. Now, they usually don't have enough for a freshman team. The youth league plays through 6th grade and then the middle school weeds them out, seemingly too soon. Just my opinion, but the old way was better.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the glory days of Phillips, Jaggers, Estes (sometimes a forgotten name from 97-01 that had some very solid teams, including a '99 Region Finalist) and French you had names like Penman, Newcomb, Givens, Gooch, Jones, Hill, Simpson, Napier, Alcorn, Wilkinson, Miller, Smith etc....Lincoln County hasn't had that for sometime. Lincoln County was one of these rural county schools that also had speed & just overall good talent. You remove those names from those teams & it's a different ball game for a lot of those years.

Of those names above, their son's have and/or are playing elsewhere in the area over the years.

Current Somerset Head Coach, Robbie Lucas was also a former head man at Lincoln County from 2002-2004 seasons and only won seven games in three years. Obviously, what he has been able to do at Somerset speaks for himself. But, he's another coach that you can add to list of Settles and Leffew (guys that know football and kids. Settles won at Bullitt East. Travis knows football, let's not get that twisted...you can't play for the likes of Chuck Smith & Bobby Petrino in college, along with NFL experience and NOT know football) who have struggled there.

Robbie Lucas coached two years and won 4 games, 2 each season.

I don't see coaching as the problem. Marty Jaggers and Larry French won titles after leaving LC; Robbie Lucas almost did.

As far as I know, Lucas and French still live in Lincoln County. Maybe that's what the guy meant about losing coaches to Pulaski (French and Lucas) and Boyle (Settles)......

Have you seen these teams. Fundamentals are not coached. Not a big fan of those teams. I think if I'm not mistaken the guy who coaches the team never played football, not sure though. Nevertheless he doesn't teach appropriate fundamental things.

The guy I know...don't know if he played ball or not. What I do know is that he cares about the kids and is doing what he does for the kids, which is more than I can say for the rec Dept.

From what I've heard the rec team is bad.

Boyle and Pulaski/Somerset have really good youth leagues and are high priorities in the community. Is Lincoln the same?

The guy I know...don't know if he played ball or not. What I do know is that he cares about the kids and is doing what he does for the kids, which is more than I can say for the rec Dept.

Boyle and Pulaski/Somerset have really good youth leagues and are high priorities in the community. Is Lincoln the same?

No, the priorities are not high in the youth leagues....for any sport.

Just from observing games, seeing Boyle Co's sideline, there are people everywhere begging to help in any capacity. At a Lincoln game, they seem to be scrambling to find people. Plus the facilities when comparing the two are not even on the same planet. I know Boyle's tradition has led to a lot of that, but still. That's more what I was referring to by resources. This may be traced back to the administration, it may not.

I've heard changes are coming. When I played youth football in the 70's, there were 6 youth teams: 3 in Stanford, 1 each in Crab Orchard, Waynesburg and Hustonville. That was through 8th grade. We had 30+ kids on freshman team. Now, they usually don't have enough for a freshman team. The youth league plays through 6th grade and then the middle school weeds them out, seemingly too soon. Just my opinion, but the old way was better.

Bingo

As a parent of a young kid I appreciate that he cares for kids but as a parent of a kid in athletics I also want one that teaches him the right way to play.

From what I have seen its all about his kid, and not about fundamentals of the game. I like the systems at other schools because they are teaching the right way.

Successful programs are based on thirds.

1/3 players

1/3 coaches

1/3 community support (parents, administration, local patronage)

If any one of these are not present, you will not be successful.

Speaking on behalf of Boyle's program, we have all 3 components at all levels, youth league-middle school-high school.

What is more encouraging at Boyle is every year our three programs continue to merge into one, which I believe, is the ultimate in a football program. When you have a HS Senior player talking to wide-eyed 3rd graders and tell them their testimony, they understand in the 3rd grade they are now part of the Rebel family and are beginning the journey to a state championship.

How does it happen? Very slowly...by players, coaches, and community committed to the cause.

Maybe retaining coaches has something to do with money?

Boyle's coaching salaries

http://www.boyle.kyschools.us/docs/Extra%20Service%20Salary%202015%20-%202016.pdf

Lincoln's coaching salaries.

http://www.lincoln.kyschools.us/docs/2013-2014%20SALARYSCHEDULE185%20days.pdf

You will have to scroll down a couple of pages to see the Lincoln staff's stipends. Also the number of paid coaches by Boyle (11) vs Lincoln(8) is interesting.

Maybe retaining coaches has something to do with money?

Boyle's coaching salaries

http://www.boyle.kyschools.us/docs/Extra%20Service%20Salary%202015%20-%202016.pdf

Lincoln's coaching salaries.

http://www.lincoln.kyschools.us/docs/2013-2014%20SALARYSCHEDULE185%20days.pdf

You will have to scroll down a couple of pages to see the Lincoln staff's stipends. Also the number of paid coaches by Boyle (11) vs Lincoln(8) is interesting.

Good info. I'll note that of the 8 LC coaches, two were middle school coaches. Of 11 BC coaches, none were middle school. By scrolling down the document, you'll find four middle school coaches stipends.

Stark difference.

Good info. I'll note that of the 8 LC coaches, two were middle school coaches. Of 11 BC coaches, none were middle school. By scrolling down the document, you'll find four middle school coaches stipends.

Stark difference.

I missed the numbers in parentheses for Lincoln. Excluding the middle school coaches they do have 11 assistants. Just not paid as much as the assistants at Boyle.