Browns Win Opener Over Eagles! - Opinion Article

The Browns have not won their opener since 2004. They will win this year.

Look, the Browns are not going to be good this year. I can't predict how many games they will win. Their defense is really suspect, they have 17 rookies on their roster, a new head coach, a new offensive coordinator, a new defensive coordinator, and a recent history that has produced 3 wins in the last 21 tries. In addition, they are 0-4 during the preseason. But they have as good a chance against the Eagles in the opener as they do against anyone and I predict a win.

Here's why. The Eagles are starting rookie QB, Carson Wentz. He played in only one preseason game for a total of 39 snaps. He suffered a rib injury in that game and has not played since. Couple that with the fact that he only started in 23 games for North Dakota State and you have a VERY inexperienced QB in Wentz. I think, as bad as the Browns defense is, Defensive Coordinator, Ray Horton can dial up a defensive game plan that will keep Wentz confused and provide the Browns offense with plenty of opportunity to score.

There are so many question marks in this game on both teams. Two of the main questions are: How will the rookie QB, Carson Wentz, perform in his first NFL game? and How will RGIII do in his return to a starting role for the Browns?

I do think Wentz has a chance to be a good QB in this league, but not on his first day as an NFL starter. So for me, Wentz is the biggest question mark in this game, and that is why I have to give the nod to my beloved Browns. Besides, this is what Pulitzer Prize winning journalist, Terry Pluto of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, said this week.

The Browns have not won their opener since 2004. They will win this year.

Look, the Browns are not going to be good this year. I can't predict how many games they will win. Their defense is really suspect, they have 17 rookies on their roster, a new head coach, a new offensive coordinator, a new defensive coordinator, and a recent history that has produced 3 wins in the last 21 tries. In addition, they are 0-4 during the preseason. But they have as good a chance against the Eagles in the opener as they do against anyone and I predict a win.

Here's why. The Eagles are starting rookie QB, Carson Wentz. He played in only one preseason game for a total of 39 snaps. He suffered a rib injury in that game and has not played since. Couple that with the fact that he only started in 23 games for North Dakota State and you have a VERY inexperienced QB in Wentz. I think, as bad as the Browns defense is, Defensive Coordinator, Ray Horton can dial up a defensive game plan that will keep Wentz confused and provide the Browns offense with plenty of opportunity to score.

There are so many question marks in this game on both teams. Two of the main questions are: How will the rookie QB, Carson Wentz, perform in his first NFL game? and How will RGIII do in his return to a starting role for the Browns?

I do think Wentz has a chance to be a good QB in this league, but not on his first day as an NFL starter. So for me, Wentz is the biggest question mark in this game, and that is why I have to give the nod to my beloved Browns. Besides, this is what Pulitzer Prize winning journalist, Terry Pluto of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, said this week.

It's a shame they have to play each other, one of the teams has to get a W. Since the Browns have the Eagle's first round pick for next year, there was a (good) chance the Browns will have 2 top five picks for next year. But one of these teams will pick up a win since they are playing each other.

The score was 13-10 in the third quarter when Browns 2nd year center snapped the ball over RGIII's head in the end zone. 15-10 Eagles. Then after the free kick the Eagles drive 77 yards for a score and the momentum swing is complete. It's all Eagles after this.

I think the biggest difference in the game was the respective defenses. The Eagles made it difficult on RGIII all day. They have an excellent pass rush from last year. They got to RGIII on Sunday. He hit on some long passes--one to Terrel Pryor. But there didn't seem to be an intermediate passing game. Griffin definitely showed rust from not playing at all last season. He also got hurt late in the game--left should sprain. He's getting an MRI today.

The run game was non existent until the game was out of hand. I thought they should have come out and established the run first. It didn't happen.

Wentz was able to stand in the pocket and throw the ball. He looked really good. The Browns knew their defense was suspect going in as it was exposed in the preseason. They shipped off a lot of veterans, Dansby, Kruger, Whitner, etc., and have a lot of young guys in there. They allowed Wentz to make his reads and throw. This is why I say the defense was the difference in the game, though there are plenty of sore spots for the Browns. Several dropped passes hurt them as well.

Special teams were bad. Tried a fake punt with no punter and only 10 guys on the field. They brought in their big lineman to block for the fake, a direct snap to Duke Johnson, but the Eagles blew right threw the block and tackled him in the backfield. They also allowed Sproles to get a long punt return.

It looks to me that the Browns coaches will get very little sleep this year as they try to figure out how to put this young team in a position to win each week. It was suggested by someone that Hue needs to simplify the offense realizing he

no longer is with the Bengals who had lots of experienced players.

The Browns home opener is against the Ravens next week. If Griffin is unable to play and they go with McCown, it will be interesting to see if the offense looks more organized and efficient.

But any way you slice it, it's going to be a long season.