Bengals cut Brandon Tate - Hellbird Celebrates

Don't take it from me. Just read the quotes from his teammates. They are not happy about the decision. Both Whit and A Jones were pretty vocal about how bad of a move it was, which is rare.

I don't disagree that he had some limitations, but he was a solid backup WR and was a sure handed punt returner. In addition, he was a special teams leader and (as mentioned) a stand-up guy in our community.

I'm sure he'll get picked up somewhere soon. It's just a shame to lose such a high quality person from a team known for having more than their share of degenerates.

I guess I am reading the wrong quotes. Pacman wasn't happy but Pacman is Pacman. I would guess a lot of people in the locker room don't want Pacman there either as he is a distraction even though he is a good football player.

Quotes that I have seen. I don't see Whitman throwing a fit.

Brandon Tate released, Alex Erickson earns punt return job

He's been a guy that's been essential to what we've done over the last couple years," Bengals left tackle Andrew Whitworth said. "He's been a pro's pro, a great example and leader for the guys. He will be missed. Definitely I think a guy that helped us probably more than people realized."

It's a sentiment Whitworth understands.

"I know guys aren't happy with it," Whitworth said. "But when they give you an opportunity to come to camp and earn a job and do you the right way by at least giving you a week to find new home, I think that's as good as it can be done in that situation."

"I haven't seen nothing out of nobody where Tate shouldn't be here," fellow punt returner Adam Jones said. "I really don't have nothing to say about that."

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read Whit's comment that "guys aren't happy with it." Clearly, it's more than just Pacman.

I'm all for improving the team, but after losing 2 veteran WR's and having an older PR in Pacman, I'd much rather have seen Tate on the roster than a few others. He gives us depth at WR where we have a lot of youth and at the PR spot. Erickson has looked great, but I doubt that will last. Seems more like a preseason anomaly to me, but we'll see.

Okay here is the thing about Tate.

In baseball terms he was the long relief/spot starter that took the ball whenever he was asked and was 5-7 every year and no one was exited about him and no one could figure out why he was on the team year after year. Good clubhouse guy and no one stepped up to take his spot year after year.

So eventually someone comes along and has the potential to do better. So it being a business he is gone possibly to return later in the year. (Maybe he can hang out with Chris Crocker and wait for the phone to ring). It isn't a bad decision by the Bengals, it is a decision to make the team better.

So let's see how it all plays out.

Never been a big fan of Whit and I would love to tell everyone about another Pacman fight I know about but we talkin' Bout Tate.

I take it you do not mean you are not a fan of his play on the field but that you mean a fan of his quotes/interviews off the field? If so, most of his interviews and sound bites are because the NFL makes teams provide players to the media at specified times under agreement. So I would rather have Whit sounding intelligent enough to form a proper sentence and provide some kind of opinion than some player that gives a stock answer full of "Ummmms" and "You knows".

I take it you do not mean you are not a fan of his play on the field but that you mean a fan of his quotes/interviews off the field? If so, most of his interviews and sound bites are because the NFL makes teams provide players to the media at specified times under agreement. So I would rather have Whit sounding intelligent enough to form a proper sentence and provide some kind of opinion than some player that gives a stock answer full of "Ummmms" and "You knows".

You mean like this:

"I haven't seen nothing out of nobody where Tate shouldn't be here," fellow punt returner Adam Jones said.

I can't argue with Whit's play other than I think he gets pushed back too far sometimes.

On Whit, someone dear to me used to be his neighbor and he wasn't too friendly. Nothing major at all and this probably isn't fair to Whit but I am a little cool on him.

With all that said Whit plays for my team and I am behind him 100%.

Who Dey!

I can't argue with Whit's play other than I think he gets pushed back too far sometimes.

On Whit, someone dear to me used to be his neighbor and he wasn't too friendly. Nothing major at all and this probably isn't fair to Whit but I am a little cool on him.

With all that said Whit plays for my team and I am behind him 100%.

Who Dey!

If I were an NFL player it'd probably get annoying having to deal with fanboy neighbors all the time (that may not be the case with the person you know, but generally speaking).

If I were an NFL player it'd probably get annoying having to deal with fanboy neighbors all the time (that may not be the case with the person you know, but generally speaking).

Sweet Grandma type in my case but I understand where you are coming from.