Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bengals cut Brandon Tate - Hellbird Celebrates

Featured Replies

Sweet Grandma type in my case but I understand where you are coming from.

 

Yeah, probably not necessary to be cold towards someone like that, but I get why they'd take the "don't be friendly with the neighbors" approach.

  • Replies 62
  • Views 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
I can't argue with Whit's play other than I think he gets pushed back too far sometimes.

 

On Whit, someone dear to me used to be his neighbor and he wasn't too friendly. Nothing major at all and this probably isn't fair to Whit but I am a little cool on him.

 

With all that said Whit plays for my team and I am behind him 100%.

 

Who Dey!

 

I don't know him personally but I know the kids in the neighborhood like to go over there and he is friendly with them. His house is real popular around Halloween. Kids think they get better candy at the rich people's houses.

I don't know him personally but I know the kids in the neighborhood like to go over there and he is friendly with them. His house is real popular around Halloween. Kids think they get better candy at the rich people's houses.

 

I don't want to dwell on it. It was a long time ago and we all have bad days. I am sure Whit is probably a great guy.

 

Who Dey!

  • Author
I don't want to dwell on it. It was a long time ago and we all have bad days. I am sure Whit is probably a great guy.

 

Who Dey!

 

Of course having a million kids coming by your house all the time could make you grumpy to a nice old lady. :lol2:

I read Whit's comment that "guys aren't happy with it." Clearly, it's more than just Pacman.

 

I'm all for improving the team, but after losing 2 veteran WR's and having an older PR in Pacman, I'd much rather have seen Tate on the roster than a few others. He gives us depth at WR where we have a lot of youth and at the PR spot. Erickson has looked great, but I doubt that will last. Seems more like a preseason anomaly to me, but we'll see.

I understand you like Tate because his boys play for Union Raiders, that's nice. The reality is he was a horrible punt returner period. That is why he was on the team and he needed to go years ago.

 

No one is refuting that he was a nice guy. There are a lot of nice guys in the world but not all of them deserve to be on an NFL roster simply because he's nice. He was a horrible punt returner period and that was why he was on the team more than anything. He wasn't kept on the roster all these years because of his WR abilities.

 

Just to prove a point I looked up last years NFL punt return stats and Brandon Tate was ranked 28th in the league on punt returns. That isn't good.

NFL Football Player Stats & Stats Leaders - Yards Per Punt Return

He averaged a little over 6 yards a return, that is not good. The league leader averaged almost 17 yards a return.

 

Here is how he finished each year

2015 28th

2014 12th

2013 19th

2012 22nd

 

 

He has never been very good. Do you know that Quan Cosby who used to be our punt returner up until 2012 when Tate got the job averaged more yards per return than Tate ever has?

 

Tate just isn't a good punt returner and there is no reason to keep him when Erickson out performed him every game this pre season.

Another interesting fact, even though Tate was our primary punt returner, every year we had Pac Man return punts (and that link i provided only counts returners with at least 16 returns on a year) Adam Jones was one of the league leaders and outperformed Tate every time, yet Tate was our primary returner.

 

So although I know you like him as a person, I'm sure he is a great guy, but I'm ready to have someone back their fielding punts that can give us a chance at better returns than we have had in the past.

You would think, if Tate was as horrible as most think he is, he wouldn't have stuck around the league this long, right?

 

I get Erickson outperformed him in the preseason, but that's a far cry from real game action. Just a hunch, but Bengals fans are probably going to wish Tate was still around a couple of times this season...:idunno:

You would think, if Tate was as horrible as most think he is, he wouldn't have stuck around the league this long, right?

 

I get Erickson outperformed him in the preseason, but that's a far cry from real game action. Just a hunch, but Bengals fans are probably going to wish Tate was still around a couple of times this season...:idunno:

 

No doubt. Erickson is going to have miscues, I hope people realize that it's part of the learning process.

You would think, if Tate was as horrible as most think he is, he wouldn't have stuck around the league this long, right?

 

I get Erickson outperformed him in the preseason, but that's a far cry from real game action. Just a hunch, but Bengals fans are probably going to wish Tate was still around a couple of times this season...:idunno:

 

It's hard to use the he has stuck in the league this long argument. The Pat's were done with him after 2 years. If it wasn't for the Bengals keeping him the last 5 years he may not have still been in the league this long. The Bengals made that happen by not caring to much about how year in and year out he was in the bottom half of returners. Now we will see if he continues to stick with other teams or not.

 

With that said it's not his fault they kept him around. For the life of me I don't know why they don't let Gio field some punts. It's one thing if he was the only running back. But heck he is not even the starting running back. They should have found ways to use him more like a Darren Sproles.

You would think, if Tate was as horrible as most think he is, he wouldn't have stuck around the league this long, right?

 

I get Erickson outperformed him in the preseason, but that's a far cry from real game action. Just a hunch, but Bengals fans are probably going to wish Tate was still around a couple of times this season...:idunno:

He stuck around here way too long. I e been asking for him to be cut after his 2nd year here. So maybe it's just we knew long before the Bengals ever figured it out that he should have been cut.

You would think, if Tate was as horrible as most think he is, he wouldn't have stuck around the league this long, right?

 

I get Erickson outperformed him in the preseason, but that's a far cry from real game action. Just a hunch, but Bengals fans are probably going to wish Tate was still around a couple of times this season...:idunno:

 

He stuck around because the Bengals put a value on not fumbling on any return and because the Bengals did not decide to invest a draft pick on a return specialist. So he fulfilled a role. When the Bengals needed a return Jones was the man. But the Bengals can't risk Jones getting hurt returning all kicks. Tate was expendable. Just a business decision.

I guess having a guy who loves to catch punts inside the 10 is the answer.

I guess having a guy who loves to catch punts inside the 10 is the answer.
Has to be a coaching philosophy. Did it like 5 times today. If the coaches didn't want him fielding it there, they would tell him to let it go over his head.

Come talk to me when he fields a punt in the end zone.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.