Could the Reds be making a mistake trading Jay Bruce?

With a trade of Jay Bruce looming closer this week could the Reds be making a mistake trading the left handed right fielder away? I have always been very critical of his inconsistency at the plate and his inability to make adjustments in the count. He is 29 years old and just maybe he is finally getting it at the plate showing better discipline and more consistency. He is arguably having his best season and projects to finish with 42 HRs and 133 RBIs. He has struck out less than Joey Votto and has definitely looked like he has cut his swing down some. Could the Reds try to sign him to a new 5 year contract for $90-100m which would make him 34 at the end of the contract? He seems to like it in Cincinnati and has settled into his life with a new child and wife. He was extremely happy that he wasn't traded to NY last year. Maybe the Reds have tried to talk contract with Jay but then again maybe not. Brandon Phillips comes off the books after next year which will help the payroll and they do get the new Fox contract next year. Personally I would like to see them keep him as I don't want to have to break in a new right fielder in front of my season seats but I also don't want to see the Reds tie up their payroll to where they can't spend money in a needed area. What are your thoughts?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not know about 5 years, but I would certainly look at 3 or 4. The Reds need to hold out much like the Yankees did with Chapman. They better come away with some top 5 minor leaguers for Bruce or else stand pat. The guys they got for Frazier and Chapman have not really shown too much.

Take the Bengals approach and develop your own and keep you own if at all possible.

I do not know about 5 years, but I would certainly look at 3 or 4. The Reds need to hold out much like the Yankees did with Chapman. They better come away with some top 5 minor leaguers for Bruce or else stand pat. The guys they got for Frazier and Chapman have not really shown too much.

Take the Bengals approach and develop your own and keep you own if at all possible.

I think the jury is still out on the Frazier trade as Schebler has looked good at AAA. Peraza looks like he could be a leadoff type hitter and can play outfield if Hamilton doesn't improve or infield to replace Cozart or Phillips but I do agree that they should try to get the best players in return for Bruce.

What would be so bad to sign Bruce to a 3-4 year contract and Cozart as well if your serious about being a contender in 2018/19? Doesn't have to be another Votto or Bailey contract. Would it be so bad and please explain.

What would be so bad to sign Bruce to a 3-4 year contract and Cozart as well if your serious about being a contender in 2018/19? Doesn't have to be another Votto or Bailey contract. Would it be so bad and please explain.

I would guess his agent would balk at anything less than probably 7 years.

This is Jays last big contract coming up. He wants his money. He saw this team pay $$$ for Votto. He wants his cut. He wont get it here. He knows this, thats why he opened up his trade to list.

Zero truth to any of this and no one has ever hinted that this is the case other than Plantman. Bruce would like to stay in Cincinnati as he has stated multiple times. Also said he understands the business and would like to go to a winning team if traded which is why he's willing to waive it.

It doesn't make sense to sign Bruce long-term. You can't tie up that kinda money in just a handful of guys. I would think these last couple seasons would've made that obvious.

The funny thing about it is the same people wanting to sign him now will be the first to criticize the deal the second he stops hitting at his current level.

You absolutely move him. It doesn't have to be at the deadline, but before next season starts you have to find a deal.

It doesn't make sense to sign Bruce long-term. You can't tie up that kinda money in just a handful of guys. I would think these last couple seasons would've made that obvious.

The funny thing about it is the same people wanting to sign him now will be the first to criticize the deal the second he stops hitting at his current level.

You absolutely move him. It doesn't have to be at the deadline, but before next season starts you have to find a deal.

I would think you'd have to make the dead before the deadline if you want to get top value for him. How long after the season does a team have before they have to decide on picking up option years?

I would think you'd have to make the dead before the deadline if you want to get top value for him. How long after the season does a team have before they have to decide on picking up option years?

The Reds have 3 options with Bruce if we assume they want to move on from him.

1) Trade him now. IMO this is by far the smartest option.

2) Pick up his option for next season, and then trade him either in the offseason, or at the deadline next year.

3) Decline his player option, make him a qualifying offer (which he'll almost 100% decline), and get the compensatory draft pick at the end of round 1 in next June's draft. This option isn't necessarily a bad one if they feel the player they could potentially draft with that pick is better than what they're able to get in the trade market.

So who gives you his production from an OF position in 3 years when you plan to compete and what kind of money are you talking?

So who gives you his production from an OF position in 3 years when you plan to compete and what kind of money are you talking?

Bruce would/will command around $100-$115M over a 6 year deal IMO. No way the Reds can have that tied up, along with Bailey's money and Votto's.

As far as OF production....That remains to be seen. I imagine they're hoping to get a couple OF prospects either through moves or drafting in the next season or two. They have Winker very close to being ready in AAA. He won't put up the power numbers, but he'll have a much better average and OBP presumably.

If you sign Bruce, do you trade Winker or do you trade the likes of Holt/Schlebler? Does a signing of Bruce mean that the Reds are moving forward to contend with a set OF of DuVall/Hamilton/Bruce, Winker as a backup?