Could the Reds be making a mistake trading Jay Bruce?

If you sign Bruce, do you trade Winker or do you trade the likes of Holt/Schlebler? Does a signing of Bruce mean that the Reds are moving forward to contend with a set OF of DuVall/Hamilton/Bruce, Winker as a backup?

Who wants Holt? I don't even want him on my Wiffleball team this weekend.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you sign Bruce, do you trade Winker or do you trade the likes of Holt/Schlebler? Does a signing of Bruce mean that the Reds are moving forward to contend with a set OF of DuVall/Hamilton/Bruce, Winker as a backup?

No. Winker will be out there next season.

Who wants Holt? I don't even want him on my Wiffleball team this weekend.

Nobody wants him, but think some cuts in some way would have to be made in the scenario that Bruce signs. Main thing is not Holt and other backups, but Winker. Is his future here as a backup?

Nobody wants him, but think some cuts in some way would have to be made in the scenario that Bruce signs. Main thing is not Holt and other backups, but Winker. Is his future here as a backup?

No. He's one of the top 75 prospects in all of baseball. Those type of players aren't backups. He'll play over 2/3 of their current starting outfield next season.

When looking at Winker, the comparison I keep coming up with is Christian Yelich of the Marlins. Similar size and build, Yelich has more speed, whereas Winker has more power potential IMO.

If you look at their numbers in the minors, it's very similar when you look at avg (Yelich slightly more advanced), OBP, K rate, HRs, etc...

Bruce would/will command around $100-$115M over a 6 year deal IMO. No way the Reds can have that tied up, along with Bailey's money and Votto's.

As far as OF production....That remains to be seen. I imagine they're hoping to get a couple OF prospects either through moves or drafting in the next season or two. They have Winker very close to being ready in AAA. He won't put up the power numbers, but he'll have a much better average and OBP presumably.

I totally get the money aspect of holding on to Bruce given the Votto/Bailey/Phillips contracts. Do you take a chance and hold on to Bruce another year and hope that Bailey has a good finish this year and becomes tradeable over the winter? Phillips will not be resigned long term and no way they give him anywhere near his current salary to stay. Do you think the Reds are sold on Schebler/Winker as a replacement for Bruce? Schebler and Winker have similar numbers at Louisville but Winker doesn't give you the power numbers yet and maybe won't. Can you win in 3 years with Winker and Senzel at 2 key power positions? I think they will fast track Senzel and I don't know about his ability to hit a lot of HRs in GABP.

When looking at Winker, the comparison I keep coming up with is Christian Yelich of the Marlins. Similar size and build, Yelich has more speed, whereas Winker has more power potential IMO.

If you look at their numbers in the minors, it's very similar when you look at avg (Yelich slightly more advanced), OBP, K rate, HRs, etc...

Big time decisions for the front office. The Reds are winning,pitching looking good,Phillips and Bruce having career years. Things would be a easier if they had continued on their ways of last year and first half of this one. Can't bench Phillips, harder and harder for them to move a fan favorite in Bruce. Bailey is liable to pitch his 3rd no hitter Sunday the way things have been going,lol.

I totally get the money aspect of holding on to Bruce given the Votto/Bailey/Phillips contracts. Do you take a chance and hold on to Bruce another year and hope that Bailey has a good finish this year and becomes tradeable over the winter? Phillips will not be resigned long term and no way they give him anywhere near his current salary to stay. Do you think the Reds are sold on Schebler/Winker as a replacement for Bruce? Schebler and Winker have similar numbers at Louisville but Winker doesn't give you the power numbers yet and maybe won't. Can you win in 3 years with Winker and Senzel at 2 key power positions? I think they will fast track Senzel and I don't know about his ability to hit a lot of HRs in GABP.

In rebuilds, you deal with periods where you have some holes. RF will probably be one of those for the Reds for the time being. Senzel will be fast-tracked, but doubtful we see him before next fall at the earliest. Winker is the plan in LF. Once Bruce is moved, I fully expect them to give Schebler a fair chance. Whether he can do it or not, I have my doubts.

Big time decisions for the front office. The Reds are winning,pitching looking good,Phillips and Bruce having career years. Things would be a easier if they had continued on their ways of last year and first half of this one. Can't bench Phillips, harder and harder for them to move a fan favorite in Bruce. Bailey is liable to pitch his 3rd no hitter Sunday the way things have been going,lol.

Personally I'd like to see them try to move some of the pitchers that they obtained last year for position players but none have really shown enough progress except Disco who I think can be a #2 at least. Where are they going to fit all these guys into the roster when Stephenson and Garrett are ready to be promoted?

In rebuilds, you deal with periods where you have some holes. RF will probably be one of those for the Reds for the time being. Senzel will be fast-tracked, but doubtful we see him before next fall at the earliest. Winker is the plan in LF. Once Bruce is moved, I fully expect them to give Schebler a fair chance. Whether he can do it or not, I have my doubts.

If Winker is the plan for LF then they need to try to unload Duvall while he has some value, (if he has some). Do you agree?

If Winker is the plan for LF then they need to try to unload Duvall while he has some value, (if he has some). Do you agree?

Not sure what they'll do with him. I'd guess he'll be the 4th OF next season, unless he's able to play RF as effectively as he does left. I imagine they hold onto him because a) he's under cheap team control for another 4 years and b) he has little to no trade value.

This brings me back to packaging DuVall/Disco in trade before the deadline, give Peraza his at bats for this season by starting him in LF, Schebler some as well. Start next season off with Winker/Schebler, maybe someone you pick up in that trade in LF. Peraza to 2nd, re-signed Bruce in RF, resigned Cozart at SS(if you can sign for 3 years max) Just another thought to this whole thing

This brings me back to packaging DuVall/Disco in trade before the deadline, give Peraza his at bats for this season by starting him in LF, Schebler some as well. Start next season off with Winker/Schebler, maybe someone you pick up in that trade in LF. Peraza to 2nd, re-signed Bruce in RF, resigned Cozart at SS(if you can sign for 3 years max) Just another thought to this whole thing

It would be hard for me and I would think hard for them to trade Disco who they control through 2020. Unless somebody would blow them away with an offer.