OMG How much sanctuary hospitals are costing taxpayers.

jericho

I am so ashamed our government lets this happen and how we poor taxpayers have to pay for this.

What’s so galling is that while Americans struggle to pay their bills, freeloaders from other countries get the same care at no cost by gaming our generous open-door hospital policies. They take a flight to the United States, go straight to an emergency room and get pacemakers, chemotherapy and other expensive care, leaving American taxpayers to foot their bills.

Evan Levine, cardiologist at a Bronx teaching hospital, recently treated a Trinidad resident who had learned his pacemaker battery was about to give out. He came to New York to avoid paying for cardiac care back home. Cost to him? Zero, aside from airfare.

It’s a common practice, according to a medical-device salesman who services hospitals in the New York area. He gets calls for pacemakers destined for patients from South America or Central America who fly in and take a bus directly to the hospital.

The bill for one pacemaker patient can reach $96,000. John Q. Public gets stuck with it.

Taxpayers cough up an estimated $2 billion a year for a program called Emergency Medicaid, according to Kaiser Health News. It covers everyone unable to pay for emergency medical care, including illegal immigrants and residents of other countries here for medical freebies.

No one should be left to die on the street. But forcing taxpayers to pay for foreigners here to rip us off goes too far.

Federal law requires that hospitals help all patients who come to the emergency room in labor or with a life-threatening condition. Lenient regulations are turning this into a gravy train.

Hospitals cannot ask about immigration status at any time, and they’re barred from asking patients if they can pay or have insurance until after the patient has been helped. Every ER posts signs telling patients they have a right to be treated, no matter what.

Noah Schreibman, pulmonologist and critical care physician in Delray, Fla., explains that “if someone is short of breath, has chest pains, coughs up blood or recently lost 20 pounds, they’ll get admitted.”

“We are here to help. We treat everybody,” Schreibman insists, even as he acknowledges seeing foreign patients flocking to Florida hospitals for the free care. He doesn’t begrudge them, but taxpayers have every right to be outraged.

So do Americans facing bankruptcy from their medical bills. Soaring deductibles are increasing the financial pressure, according to the JAMA Internal Medicine report, which shows deductibles up a whopping 86 percent since 2009.

If you have cancer, you’ll pay thousands out of your own pocket before your insurance kicks in. But in New York, which has just about the most liberal emergency Medicaid policies of any state, a medical tourist claiming poverty can get up to 15 months of inpatient chemotherapy – worth $150,000 – sticking taxpayers with the bill.

Same holds true for inpatient dialysis, which sometimes costs even more. Patients who don’t require hospitalization – like dialysis patients – are sometimes admitted to the hospital anyway because emergency Medicaid only pays for inpatient care.

Uncle Sam turns a blind eye while at the same time hassling older Americans who come to the emergency room. Under a sneaky Obama administration policy, seniors seeking emergency care are put in “observation care” and then, when it’s time to leave, they’re slapped with huge bills and told they were never formally admitted to the hospital, so Medicare won’t pay.

And what about vets? As a thank-you for their service, they’re clobbered with a hefty bill if they dare go to a non-VA emergency room. It’s so outrageous, a federal court just ruled against this practice.

Our priorities need to be fixed. Stop scrimping on care for vets and seniors while spending freely on people from other nations.

How ‘sanctuary hospitals’ cost America big

This is my whole issue with illegal's.

We have so many other social/economic issues in this country to find a way to take care of. We struggle to take care of people that have lived here 75 years.

Land of the FREE and home of the brave takes on a whole new meaning.

This is my whole issue with illegal's.

We have so many other social/economic issues in this country to find a way to take care of. We struggle to take care of people that have lived here 75 years.

Land of the FREE and home of the brave takes on a whole new meaning.

Yes and yes.

Why should a family with kids who both parents work and struggle have to pay for hosp care while illegals and I guess now fly ins get free care and I still have to pay for them too.

Maybe we should send the bills to their country.

You'll not get many comments on this because there is no way to defend it.

The healthcare system is broken. Has been for a long time. I think it's terrible that people have to choose between medical care, prescription drugs etc, or keeping the electric on or paying for food. I also have a ton of trouble with the fact that there are so many people that seem like they are willing to deny sick people medical or emergency care because of where they are from.

Yes and yes.

Why should a family with kids who both parents work and struggle have to pay for hosp care while illegals and I guess now fly ins get free care and I still have to pay for them too.

Maybe we should send the bills to their country.

Go to the hospital with no ID tell them your name is Jose' Santiago and get you some free health care. If I get really sick I'm going as George Lopez. Free health care for all!

The healthcare system is broken. Has been for a long time. I think it's terrible that people have to choose between medical care, prescription drugs etc, or keeping the electric on or paying for food. I also have a ton of trouble with the fact that there are so many people that seem like they are willing to deny sick people medical or emergency care because of where they are from.

If they want medical care then get it done in your own country unless you are willing to pay for it elsewhere.

It has nothing to do with where they are from, it has to do with me having to pay for it.

If they want medical care then get it done in your own country unless you are willing to pay for it elsewhere.

It has nothing to do with where they are from, it has to do with me having to pay for it.

So let 'em die. No treatment if you're not from this country. Enjoy the afterlife. While our healthcare system is broken, it is very good in providing treatment. Many of these 3rd world countries have no decent medical care. I hear what you are saying. It is expensive. And we need to do better for our own. But I'm not for turning anyone away because the can't pay, or aren't from this country.

Your statement has nothing to do with illegals getting free healthcare. More rhetoric.

Your statement has nothing to do with illegals getting free healthcare. More rhetoric.

What's the rhetoric?? I hear what sounds like, people advocating denying emergency care or treatment because you're not from this country. Doctors take an oath to treat the sick, and nowhere does your nationality appear in that oath. I don't agree with not treating someone...I don't care where they are from. There's just something about that sounds horrible to me.

What's the rhetoric?? I hear what sounds like, people advocating denying emergency care or treatment because you're not from this country. Doctors take an oath to treat the sick, and nowhere does your nationality appear in that oath. I don't agree with not treating someone...I don't care where they are from. There's just something about that sounds horrible to me.

I'm not advocating they don't.

I'm advocating, we, as taxpayers, don't foot the bill.

I'm not advocating they don't.

I'm advocating, we, as taxpayers, don't foot the bill.

Amen

Let's all vote and those who want to help can have their name listed as to have more money taken out of their taxes and those who say no, keep paying same.

Put money where everyone's mouth is. I have a family to take care of other than some person not even from here.

If you think this will change with either candidate, think again. It IS a problem and needs to be addressed by only helping those truly needing it. 2 billion dollars is drop in the bucket, however, in our federal budget.

We do have an avenue to support our own that can't afford it, through the ACA, however, the same people saying to help our own scream loudly when we finally do.

Americans should not get strapped with unbelievable medical bills that lead to bankruptcy for some. I agree 100%. Universal health care will solve this problem. IT is costly, I know which is a different debate on insurance companies and big money health care agencies. Let's take care of our own first then work on the other.

Why not quit paying for tanks we no longer need because a factory that makes them has an influential congressperson in the district putting budgetary items tied to meaningful bills so they can be reelected. THIS is the problem that will not be addressed and cannot be addressed by any candidate for President. Let's say we pay 10 billion a year for unneeded tanks (put anything in here you want there's plenty of stuff) and funnel that to health care for all. It will take care of that 2 billion mentioned and leave 8 billion for the pot of $$ for health care.

Just a thought. Even though this is a problem, it is minutia in the big picture.