N KY Frosh 7 v 7 @ Ryle

Last night Ryle hosted Cooper, Highlands, and Simon Kenton for a series of 7v7 scrimmages. Round robin format and then Ryle/Cooper and HHS/SK got in additional work for a fourth scrimmage for each team.

Well organized and run. From my perspective, coaches did a great job of getting all kids ample snaps. Each team had about 20 to 30 players there competing.

No numbers or names to help identify kids. For Ryle, England stood out. Even though as a RB he would normally be limited to touches in this type of format, the Raiders still found a way to get him involved. When he touched the ball he showed why he has been talked up on this site. He was impressive. The Raiders also have a few big, strong receivers that looked good. For HHS, Huddleston looked very good on O and D. Catches everything thrown close and has great instincts on D. The Birds have several other players that will compliment Huddy at skill positions. I do not know any of the SK or Cooper players -- they competed well and made several nice plays.

Glad to hear that KE is playing for Ryle. Heard he was considering playing elsewhere. Next year he will be lined up with what will be a Senior RB Jake Chisholm. I'm smiling thinking about that. Hopefully the offense will turn from a pass first to a run first. Tanner Morgan will be gone, so putting he ball in those two hands will be a good move offensively. Having England in Union is exciting. I'm a fan of his parents too. Just an added bonus, his mother sings like an angel and graced us with the National Anthem from time to time : )

Glad to hear that KE is playing for Ryle. Heard he was considering playing elsewhere. Next year he will be lined up with what will be a Senior RB Jake Chisholm. I'm smiling thinking about that. Hopefully the offense will turn from a pass first to a run first. Tanner Morgan will be gone, so putting he ball in those two hands will be a good move offensively. Having England in Union is exciting. I'm a fan of his parents too. Just an added bonus, his mother sings like an angel and graced us with the National Anthem from time to time : )

She is an angel in my book! Couldn't ask for a better partner and wife.

I agree with stinkboy very nicely ran event. Thought the HHS boys all around looked pretty solid. Thought the Zell kid played well on both sides of the ball along with Alfeld. From the looks of things it's going to be a good fun fight to see who gets the starting ball at Qb for the birds. I thought they both played better then the other three QB from the other teams. On the KE fromt that kid is a stud. We saw him last in a junior league game and he just ran all over the field. I would think Ryle willnt be throwing much this year with him in the back field.

I thought highlands looked well oiled and efficient, good size, great hands, pretty quick and ran good fundemental routes for this age group. Nothing bad to say about Sk either they looked like a solid team who will be competitive. I don't think Ryle did too bad for the freshman only having only one 7on 7 practice prior to the event. What Cooper lacked in size, they make it up as they always do. Good team play, defense that seems to be in the right place on time. My one critique is for all the teams and their Qb's. Just a point to work on. Instead of busy feet and shoulder and hip turns while scanning through the reads I seen alot of hopping and the ball getting loose from the body in poor position. Also they didn't back pedal from the line of scrimmage I seen 3 second holds thrown 2 - 3 yards from the line of scrimmage. That's not going to be realistic to what they see and can do in live fire. We all need to work on realistic drops with them. 7on7 is a good practice for timing and route running and the best time to tighten up those little issues. It was a good event. Had a great time finally getting back into some football. Can't wait till they put on pads and can put all the pieces together. Well all see each other at some point this season. Good luck and health to all the families and kids. See ya soon.

All 4 teams looked good for this early in the season. The SK QB had some very nice throws and their receivers know how to go up and get a ball. HHS has some nice depth at receiver and QB positions. As mentioned above, it will be interesting to see how the QB battle shakes out. There are 3 in the mix who have the skills to lead the team.

I agree, it's a great event. I thought the HHS boys looked really good and I thought Ryle did well too. I could be bias but Highlands seemed to be more in tune than the other 3 schools. Ryle is more of a running team with England, as they should be. He's the real deal. SK and Cooper showed flashes but may need a little more time to gel as a team.

As far as the HHS QB's...I thought Colin and Hunter both threw the ball well for Highlands. Those 2 seemed to have much better arms than the other QB's in the 7v7. They are two different stylistic QB's for sure. Colin is more of a pocket passer and Hunter is more mobile for sure. Good problem to have if your Highlands, I guess. I'm hearing statistically they haven't quite been the same from what I've been told from coaches, and other parents. I heard the Alfeld kid's stats from practice and the 7v7 are much better right now. Either way, good luck to both boys, they seem like good kids. It's a shame they are both on the same team.

I agree, it's a great event. I thought the HHS boys looked really good and I thought Ryle did well too. I could be bias but Highlands seemed to be more in tune than the other 3 schools. Ryle is more of a running team with England, as they should be. He's the real deal. SK and Cooper showed flashes but may need a little more time to gel as a team.

As far as the HHS QB's...I thought Colin and Hunter both threw the ball well for Highlands. Those 2 seemed to have much better arms than the other QB's in the 7v7. They are two different stylistic QB's for sure. Colin is more of a pocket passer and Hunter is more mobile for sure. Good problem to have if your Highlands, I guess. I'm hearing statistically they haven't quite been the same from what I've been told from coaches, and other parents. I heard the Alfeld kid's stats from practice and the 7v7 are much better right now. Either way, good luck to both boys, they seem like good kids. It's a shame they are both on the same team.

Perhaps you could suggest one of them goes to the first school in your handle?

Perhaps you could suggest one of them goes to the first school in your handle?

You are unfortunately correct. It's hard to tell people how great it once was...I sound like that old guy telling stories of the past. My heart will always say...Hail To The Victors and cheer for BCHS! The parent in me couldn't let my son go and play football at BCHS right now.

Tell me more about this stats thingy. Is that something new that the frosh and/or Highlands program now does? Did not realize they charted practices and/or 7v7 games.

Tell me more about this stats thingy. Is that something new that the frosh and/or Highlands program now does? Did not realize they charted practices and/or 7v7 games.

Sorry, its not something that I'm aware of that's being charted officially. You'd have to check with the coaches on that. I heard they are both spinning the ball well but one one has thrown a significant amount of int's and one hasn't thrown any yet.

As far as the 7v7, again nothing official. I know the HHS Coaches filmed the game, I was at the game and I also saw a couple other parents film the game. Not sure if they break down stats officially. I was just going off the eye test of being at the game and seeing the TD's vs INT's thrown plus the PAT's completed.

I would not put much stock into what was seen statistically at this first 7v7. Coaches were very likely looking at mechanics and progressions, not TD / Int ratios. If one QB zeroed in on only one receiver and the other QB's scanned the field and checked down properly, that says a lot more than whether or not a TD pass or INT was thrown. As I stated earlier, there are several kids capable of leading this team at the QB position.

I would not put much stock into what was seen statistically at this first 7v7. Coaches were very likely looking at mechanics and progressions, not TD / Int ratios. If one QB zeroed in on only one receiver and the other QB's scanned the field and checked down properly, that says a lot more than whether or not a TD pass or INT was thrown. As I stated earlier, there are several kids capable of leading this team at the QB position.

You are 100% correct. They have multiple kids that can play QB. Good problem to have these days. They are all 3 good kids too from what I can see.

So does Highlands have 3 QB's? I assume you used first names there. If so can you give their full names.

I know one, I'm guessing is Colin Hollinswerth (sp.)? Lol!

Others?