(Baseball) UofL v. UCSB - Super Regional

jpa2825

Games are SAT @ Noon, SUN @ Noon and MON @ TBA (if necessary). (This scheduling was expected with the Ali funeral plans set for FRI.)

Speaking of, UofL will be wearing "ALI" patches on their hats for the series. I didn't realize his adopted son, Asaad Ali, played for UofL's baseball team from 2009-12 before getting drafted late by the Angels.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/boxing/muhammad-ali/2016/06/04/muhammad-ali-big-supporter-louisville-baseball-team/85392428/

McDonnell has announced McKay will start Game 1. Lots of reasons for doing so: puts him on regular rest; that's what the rotation has been for the 2nd 1/2 of the season; Funkhouser's FRI start last week was more about Western Michigan being the opponent than anything broader statement.

Harrington will go in Game 2, I'm sure.

If Game 3 happens, you could do a lot worse than having a SR starter like Funkhouser available to start it for you. He has been very good in the last 1/2 of the season and lately and he is a bulldog. Moreover, if he has any control problems, you have 12-0 Kade McClure available on a TON of rest (last pitched before the ACC Tourney, I think). I'm sure they have run simulated games with him to keep him sharp.

Don't know much about the Gauchos. Hope the Cards end it in 2 and head to Omaha! I'll be at JPat rootin' them on.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we played them 10 times, I think UofL wins 6-8x. In a best 2 of 3, you just never know. Worries me.

Tickled pink for the 3 that got drafted in the 1st round (Ray, Burdi & Smith) and for Solak in the 2nd round and happy with all the notoriety the program is getting because of it. Harrington, Tiberi and Funkhouser likely get picked today which will add to the celebratory atmosphere. That said, everything sets up as a "trap series" (if there is such a thing) against UCSB and if UofL doesn't realize that and make an early statement offensively and pitching-wise on SAT they may regret it. Don't let the underdog get a whiff of confidence. They will take it and run with it.

As always, the 1st game is critical.

Anytime elimination is an issue I'm nervous, and the unpredictability of baseball in a small sample size adds to my uneasiness.

That said, I'm relatively comforted by the manner they lost to Fullerton, and the presence of Dan McDonnell. My hope is they remain motivated to return to the World Series after the controversial call, and there is something to be said about the skill Coach has had in focusing his guys in the postseason.

I imagine UCSB is a less talented version of CSF last season, and this is a better UL team, but sensing that the California schools play the same style, anything could happen. I'm excited for the games and will be fairly disappointed if the Cards don't win a couple games in Omaha.

If we played them 10 times, I think UofL wins 6-8x. In a best 2 of 3, you just never know. Worries me.

Tickled pink for the 3 that got drafted in the 1st round (Ray, Burdi & Smith) and for Solak in the 2nd round and happy with all the notoriety the program is getting because of it. Harrington, Tiberi and Funkhouser likely get picked today which will add to the celebratory atmosphere. That said, everything sets up as a "trap series" (if there is such a thing) against UCSB and if UofL doesn't realize that and make an early statement offensively and pitching-wise on SAT they may regret it. Don't let the underdog get a whiff of confidence. They will take it and run with it.

As always, the 1st game is critical.

The trap call was well founded and correct. The Cards have their work cut out for them...

Louisville baseball faces once and future reality -

Herrington is dealing today for the Cards...10Ks so far.

He looks virtually unhittable today.

Absolutely amazing day for him. Much needed with the Louisville hitters faltering a bit against the UCSB pitching staff. A few mistakes on the base path too. That killed them last year against CSF in the super regional.

Burdi headed back out in the bottom of the ninth. Cards three outs away from forcing a third and decisive game.

Holy crap I turned away to watch the news figuring this game was in hand.

Need to read about game to see what happened.

Burdi couldn't throw a strike in the ninth. Walked the bases loaded. Then finally found the zone but hung one over the plate badly and the guy smashed it over the right field wall. Walk-off, series-clinching grand slam.