(Baseball) UofL v. UCSB - Super Regional

jpa2825

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gutted.

Cards had 1 inning where they performed offensively with 2 outs. The other 8 they were bad fundamentally (thrown out running on a bounced pitch, failing to get a bunt down, thrown out at 3B on a grounder to the SS, picked off 2B in a rally killing fashion, etc.). Some big offensive players did not show up.

All that and Harrington kept 'em in it by doing what he had done all year which made him ACC Pitcher of the Year. Burdi got him out of trouble in the 8th and Kd their big boy on 4 pitches to start the 9th. Single, walk, walk, grand slam. Season over.

A great season with a thud ending. McDonnell will need to work his magic again next year and have some role players from this year (Ellis, Mann, Fitch, etc.) and new recruits step up to join those with experience (McKay, Hairston, Taylor, Lyman, etc.) to compete in the ACC & NCAA again.

UL is going to ROLL the Gauchos. Watched a lot of them last weekend due to their opponent...twice...and they just don't have nearly enough to compete with this version of the Cards.

And this is why they play the games...

Stinks, would've been nice to see a local team in the CWS.

Sorry to see the Cards season come to an end. Have a lot of respect for Coach McDonnell. He's only elevated the game since leaving the Citadel for UoL...

As for that walk off grand slam that will go down in history as one of the top walk offs considering the circumstances. The young man who hit it was a freshman who had hit one HR previously this season.

Coastal Carolina beating LSU was another surprise. Best wishes to the Card seniors!

I wasn't aware that the bases were loaded on walks... That is on the coaching staff, IMO. If he was struggling that bad he should have been pulled.

Pull Burdi in the ninth? No way does any coach pull the best closer in college baseball in that situation. It was a freak thing but he struck out the first batter of the inning and then fell apart. I don't think there was any coach that would have made that call and brought in a fresh arm with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth.

Strikeout, single, walk, walk, HR. It was rough, but I'd have made the same call as McDonnell. Can't imagine anyone wouldn't.

Pull Burdi in the ninth? No way does any coach pull the best closer in college baseball in that situation. It was a freak thing but he struck out the first batter of the inning and then fell apart. I don't think there was any coach that would have made that call and brought in a fresh arm with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth.

I didn't get to see the game at all. Did they go out and talk to him or just let him derail? Burdi is great, but he goes away from his fast ball too often, IMO.

I didn't get to see the game at all. Did they go out and talk to him or just let him derail? Burdi is great, but he goes away from his fast ball too often, IMO.

I remember the catcher coming out but can't recall if a coach went with him at any point.

I'm less upset about Burdi than I am about this lineup of drafted players that's been hammering the ball all season failing to hit well over two games, only generating five total runs. And giving away outs by being foolish on the base paths. This whole thing went down a lot like last year with giving away outs and failing to generate runs.

Burdi couldn't throw a strike in the ninth. Walked the bases loaded. Then finally found the zone but hung one over the plate badly and the guy smashed it over the right field wall. Walk-off, series-clinching grand slam.

He is one of, if not the best UL pitcher right? What a brutal way to lose.

I remember the catcher coming out but can't recall if a coach went with him at any point.

I'm less upset about Burdi than I am about this lineup of drafted players that's been hammering the ball all season failing to hit well over two games, only generating five total runs. And giving away outs by being foolish on the base paths. This whole thing went down a lot like last year with giving away outs and failing to generate runs.

They left a lot of runs on base even in the Regional. Very out of character with the stupid base running.