Reds @ Rockies (5/30 - 6/2)

I think Cozart has some value too. He, more so than Bruce, is someone I'd try to move sooner rather than later. Strike while the iron is hot on him.

Cozart had a very strong April. He cooled off a bit in May but still has respectable numbers, especially when you consider his defensive ability. He's hitting .301 with a .326 OBP and 6 HR's.

He has better numbers at GABP than on the road, but they aren't too drastically different. At home, he's hitting .333 with .349 OBP. On the road, he's hitting .273 with .305 OBP.

He earns $2.9 million this year and is eligible for arbitration in the offseason.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick note on the eventual call-ups of guys such as Stephenson, Reed, and Winker...

Assuming I understand the calculation correctly, Monday (June 6th) will mark day 64 of the baseball season, which is important because it represents that there are less than 120 days remaining in the season. The Super Two cutoff date will almost assuredly be 2 years and 120 days or higher as it has been for the last several seasons. That means that come Monday, guys such as Winker and Reed are able to be called up with no fear of achieving the Super Two status. For Stephenson that date is pushed back to Friday or Saturday of next week.

Why should the Reds bring those guys up at all this year? If you really are in full rebuild mode keep guys in the minors until you have a team that is ready to win in the majors. A good plan would be to schedule as many players as possible to be together as long as possible in the majors. Ideally the majority of your lineup and starters could be together 4 or 5 years before you have to start dumping salaries again and go through another era of embarrassment to rebuild.

I have to imagine the Reds are getting some pretty significant interest in Jay Bruce right now... .271/.321/.881 slash line with 11 HR & 34 RBI. His OBP could be a little better, but he's raking right now. Also striking out at what's pretty much the lowest rate of his career.

His .361/.390/.1.001 slash with RISP is also a vast improvement from his career numbers. 2 HRs and 20 RBI in those situations as well.

If he'd only done this last season. They'd have gotten a much better return than a half season rental. But they should get a couple of decent rolls of the dice for him.

I think Cozart has some value too. He, more so than Bruce, is someone I'd try to move sooner rather than later. Strike while the iron is hot on him.

Do you really think his value is that high? Who you going to play at ss if you trade Cozart, Suarez who can't field at 3rd let alone ss? $3m is cheap for a ss who you basically control through 2017.

If he'd only done this last season. They'd have gotten a much better return than a half season rental. But they should get a couple of decent rolls of the dice for him.

I get what you're saying, but he does have a team option for next season.

Bruce isn't a half season rental per se -- he has a $13 million team option for 2017, with a $1 million buyout.

I get what you're saying, but he does have a team option for next season.

Bruce isn't a half season rental per se -- he has a $13 million team option for 2017, with a $1 million buyout.

Did not know that. That would really help his value if the right team needs him. If that is the case I wouldn't mind seeing my Red Sox pick him up. He'd pair nicely with Chris Young in LF.

Did not know that. That would really help his value if the right team needs him. If that is the case I wouldn't mind seeing my Red Sox pick him up. He'd pair nicely with Chris Young in LF.

What would you be willing for them to part with for him?

I know nothing about any of those 3 -- any of them considered strong prospects?

Marrero is an excellent defensive shortstop. Hernandez can play 3 infield positions and is currently on the big league roster. Basave probably has the highest ceiling but he's very raw. He plays outfield. They've all been in the Sox top 10 prospect list in the last year.