Does Nyquist Have Triple Crown Potential?

What say you?

Right now there are thirteen horses listed to run in the Preakness. He's got a shot for sure, but my money won't be on him to win. The Derby runner-up is not on the list.

Agree, Preakness typically sets up well for the Derby winner, especially one that rates as well as Nyquist.

If Exaggerator were to get him in the Belmont, I think he'd have to sit out the Preakness. If not, he won't close like that in the 3rd race of a 5-week period.

A "new shooter" closer type would be more likely to run down Nyquist if he were to be going for TC. (i.e. - Tonalist, Birdstone, etc.)

Articles I have been reading is the "myth" of closer doing better in the Belmont. Historically, this is not the case.

You're right that the winning horses are usually not far off the pace by the half mile pole. It's usually the case of a fresher horse winning. Would be interesting to see how many horses have beaten the Derby winner in the Belmont while running in all three races. I'm drawing a blank.

You're right that the winning horses are usually not far off the pace by the half mile pole. It's usually the case of a fresher horse winning. Would be interesting to see how many horses have beaten the Derby winner in the Belmont while running in all three races. I'm drawing a blank.

Afleet Alex