Does Nyquist Have Triple Crown Potential?

Afleet Alex

I meant against horses trying for a Triple Crown. Seems like the several times they've been denied it was by a new horse.

That was a heck of a run in the Preakness by AA when he almost went to his knees.

He ran a legit time in the Derby, and he hasn't lost yet. But these next weeks are demanding and the odds would be against it...a la I'll Have Another. I think it will matter how hard he has to work to win the Preakness...of course if he doesn't win it case closed. If he can win the Preakness and not get pushed too hard....I don't see a better horse out there.

I'm curious to see if or how the new points system effects this long term. It was a discussion in the Daily Racing Form podcast this week: whether the removal of cheap speed from the Derby will result in more favorites winning because they'll get better runs and pace.

Point Given in 2001 is the horse they focused on a lot as one that was clearly the best horse in the field that suffered from the presence of sprinting horses in the field.