Will KHSAA ever allow this?!

It is actually if you do not have spring practice you can have 2 scrimmages, not if you don't play a spring game.

Oopps, you are absolutely correct, I misread that just a little bit. Hummm...not a football coach by any stretch, but given that choice (though a tougher one for sure) I still think a second scrimmage leading up to the season opener is probably more valuable than spring practice/scrimmage, ESPECIALLY if they still allow 7 on 7 in the summer.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AND, the last time I checked Kentucky isn't exactly churning out D1 basketball players as much as they are football players.

I would be willing to bet that baseball in Ky sends more D1 players than basketball.

But yet people still consider this a basketball state.

Oopps, you are absolutely correct, I misread that just a little bit. Hummm...not a football coach by any stretch, but given that choice (though a tougher one for sure) I still think a second scrimmage leading up to the season opener is probably more valuable than spring practice/scrimmage, ESPECIALLY if they still allow 7 on 7 in the summer.

They do allow 7 on 7, a lot of it actually. I think if you are a big school, and will have a lot of your players, then you do spring ball. The smaller schools that have some kids playing baseball or soccer (Spring Sport in Georgia) probably don't have spring practice and do the 2 scrimmages.

I dont know why football cant do 7-7 in June and July. I mean if your guys cant be there due to an AAU game or baseball game then play with another kid.

Its not like you have to schedule a 7-7 game anyway. Many coaches never even do 7-7.

I think some of the arguments for a spring game are dubious, but I also think most of the arguments against it are hogwash.

There are still more kids participating in spring football, only, than just about any sport, I would think. It might pick up numbers AND it would provide an competitive opportunity for schools that don't have the numbers for inter-squad games.

AND, the last time I checked Kentucky isn't exactly churning out D1 basketball players as much as they are football players.

I would be willing to bet that baseball in Ky sends more D1 players than basketball.

But yet people still consider this a basketball state.

I'd like to see the numbers/per participation. Because obviously there are many more football and baseball players in the state than there are basketball, simply because the number needed to field a team is much larger.

I'd like to see the numbers/per participation. Because obviously there are many more football and baseball players in the state than there are basketball, simply because the number needed to field a team is much larger.

So maybe the KHSAA should pander to the masses instead of small numbers of AAU.

It all comes down to money some how.

It would be great for a few football teams to have a scrimmage vs another team and charge admission and concessions to make a little extra money for the budget.

How?

If a young man wants to play football but also play a spring sport (I.E. Track or Baseball), he misses out on the spring football season which may hurt his potential playing time and skill development in the fall. The argument has been made before that "voluntary" practices/games aren't truly voluntary for serious athletes, but the argument certainly could also be made that it simply allows non-stars to shine in a less competitive setting. As for 8th Graders playing up, they lose the oppurtunity to practice/play during spring.. unless the KHSAA changes eligibility rules, but I don't see that happening.

If a kid plays baseball or runs track and misses spring football, Im going to be willing to bet the coach already knows if the kid is going to be a good player or starter.

This IMO wont hurt his chances at starting.

I coach in a state that allows Spring Games now. Personally, I think it's a difficult task to ask your boys to get all amped up and have the adrenaline you want them to have for a "1 game season." A lot of high school athletes aren't mature enough to realize it's a scrimmage to see their game speed.

If I were hired before the beginning of January, I would have requested my AD to not have the Spring game and have the second scrimmage. Allows more opportunity after a full summer to get some JV/V guys some game time and play with the Starting 11 a little more so other guys can find some air on the sideline.

Just coming at it from a different perspective. A guy who never had a Spring season growing up, Started coaching in Kentucky with 10 Spring practices and an intersquad scrimmage/fundraiser, and now HC in a state with an entire Spring Season with 20 practices and a scrimmage against another program.

I just think it's something that can be done. If other states can do it so can KY. I'm not saying every school can, but it's something they should look at. I agree though some teams like smaller schools that don't want a spring game should get scrimmage #2 in the fall and I think that's a fair way of doing it. BUT I also think some schools would like to have a spring scrimmage (i.e 6-A, 5-A) schools because they will have the numbers.

I coach in a state that allows Spring Games now. Personally, I think it's a difficult task to ask your boys to get all amped up and have the adrenaline you want them to have for a "1 game season." A lot of high school athletes aren't mature enough to realize it's a scrimmage to see their game speed.

If I were hired before the beginning of January, I would have requested my AD to not have the Spring game and have the second scrimmage. Allows more opportunity after a full summer to get some JV/V guys some game time and play with the Starting 11 a little more so other guys can find some air on the sideline.

Just coming at it from a different perspective. A guy who never had a Spring season growing up, Started coaching in Kentucky with 10 Spring practices and an intersquad scrimmage/fundraiser, and now HC in a state with an entire Spring Season with 20 practices and a scrimmage against another program.

...even worse with no game.

I think it should definitely be allowed. Get about 4 teams together (or more) for a spring football jamboree and play a half or so against eachother. Could be a nice fundraising event honestly. Smaller schools could option out to take the extra fall scrimmage so it's a win-win for both sides honestly.