Will KHSAA ever allow this?!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it has something to do with insurance (catastrophic/ casualty), I don't believe the schools could and would be willing to afford to carry it through the spring.

They cover catosrophic injury for spring or they wouldn't sanction spring practices.

Don't think an actual spring game would benefit many teams. Hard to install enough things to be game ready in just 9 practices. I do think being allowed to "practice/scrimmage" another team could be beneficial, but to actually hold a spring game would not. Maybe the big boys who have guys going one way could be ready in 9 practices to play a game. But for the smaller schools, and teams trying to get young guys who may not have played much last year ready, throwing them in a game situation after 9 practices would probably not be ideal.

Even if KHSAA allowed it, I would be surprised if many teams did it.

Like I said, maybe a glorified practice against another school.....but not a full blow game situation type scrimmage (where you are tying to move the chains, protect your QB, etc).

But I agree with some others..... that something would be better than nothing......just don't know if a scrimmage as we know it would work logistically with 9 practices to get ready.

How is this different than what basketball teams do all summer long?

They cover catosrophic injury for spring or they wouldn't sanction spring practices.

BINGO

Schools Insurance is one big premium. Its not based on individual sports or seasons.

Don't think an actual spring game would benefit many teams. Hard to install enough things to be game ready in just 9 practices. I do think being allowed to "practice/scrimmage" another team could be beneficial, but to actually hold a spring game would not. Maybe the big boys who have guys going one way could be ready in 9 practices to play a game. But for the smaller schools, and teams trying to get young guys who may not have played much last year ready, throwing them in a game situation after 9 practices would probably not be ideal.

Even if KHSAA allowed it, I would be surprised if many teams did it.

Like I said, maybe a glorified practice against another school.....but not a full blow game situation type scrimmage (where you are tying to move the chains, protect your QB, etc).

But I agree with some others..... that something would be better than nothing......just don't know if a scrimmage as we know it would work logistically with 9 practices to get ready.

Ok. So why not let coaches decide that instead of "Well some schools can or can't do it." I mean there are some schools you don't like using Rawlings footballs. You are only mandated to do it in the playoffs. So my thinking is why not do it during the season anyway. People will adapt. Eventually everyone will have a spring scrimmage. It was just like HUDL. About 80% said "aw hell nah". Now everyone is saying "Hell Yes."

Ok. So why not let coaches decide that instead of "Well some schools can or can't do it." I mean there are some schools you don't like using Rawlings footballs. You are only mandated to do it in the playoffs. So my thinking is why not do it during the season anyway. People will adapt. Eventually everyone will have a spring scrimmage. It was just like HUDL. About 80% said "aw hell nah". Now everyone is saying "Hell Yes."

I'm not saying I don't agree. I think it would be good to let the coaches decide. My whole point was it's just not life/death and a situation that is holding high school football back in the state.

It would be nice, but it's not that big of a deal one way or the other.

But I agree.... let the coaches decide for good of their own team.

If a young man wants to play football but also play a spring sport (I.E. Track or Baseball), he misses out on the spring football season which may hurt his potential playing time and skill development in the fall. The argument has been made before that "voluntary" practices/games aren't truly voluntary for serious athletes, but the argument certainly could also be made that it simply allows non-stars to shine in a less competitive setting. As for 8th Graders playing up, they lose the oppurtunity to practice/play during spring.. unless the KHSAA changes eligibility rules, but I don't see that happening.

Kids who miss spring practice can get caught up in the summer and fall. You don't earn a starting spot in the spring.

Isn't spring football a pretty large window in Kentucky? I know schools have to establish their dates, etc. and there is a good bit of the calendar where different schools are practicing. It might be difficult to match up scrimmages with different teams ending practices on so many different dates (and I'm guessing few coaches would want to travel far for a spring scrimmage).